2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

27 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I didn't get that feeling at all. Verrett is a great pickup for the price, but he has never been healthy. He has a lot to prove. The secondary as a whole still needs immense help even after his signing. Doesn't mean spend a day one pick, but the group needs help.

We got help by adding Ford and presumably Bosa. Corner was awful last year, but the problem HAS been addressed and we just have to see if it works. If there is one issue that hasn't been addressed that they completely neglected to mention (possibly for another pod) was the issue of safety play. THAT was a far bigger culprit on a 16 game basis last year.

I mean, they were lobbying hard for trading back to 6 and picking a corner with our first or second round pick. They both agreed that Baker top 10 would be a great choice. That's borderline retarded to me. 

Two third round corners, two high pedigree corners in Verrett and Sherman (injuries aside, big if), then Ku'ann and DJ Reed. We have thrown PLENTY of resources at this problem. We have Verrett, if he gets hurt then we're going to have to count on Akhello showing some growth. And as bad as they were at the start of last year, we're going to have to depend on them to at least be passable depth which I don't think is crazy to assume. And if we go and draft a corner with our first 3 picks, we're going to be neglecting some other huge problems: IOL depth, Edge, WR, S and OT..I would say all of those positions take precedence over corner given what we did. This is also accounting for the fact that this corner class is not good as it stands right now.

So outside of cutting Ku'ann(which I don't think happens)  and a season ending injury to Verrett resulting in him getting IR'd..I don't see how we have room for another corner. Maybe you can keep one more and justify playing Reed at FS despite him being terrible there and great as nickle corner. I would be furious if we cut Akhello or Moore because neither have played bad enough to be given up on. 

If we go Corner in the 4th, I'll be more or less ok with it based on need, but I just think we have a log jam of "wait and see" and I don't think drafting a mid round corner and cutting Moore/Akhello is anything but a lateral move at best. That's why I thought they were kind of being idiotic. 

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

We got help by adding Ford and presumably Bosa. Corner was awful last year, but the problem HAS been addressed and we just have to see if it works. If there is one issue that hasn't been addressed that they completely neglected to mention (possibly for another pod) was the issue of safety play. THAT was a far bigger culprit on a 16 game basis last year.

I mean, they were lobbying hard for trading back to 6 and picking a corner with our first or second round pick. They both agreed that Baker top 10 would be a great choice. That's borderline retarded to me. 

Two third round corners, two high pedigree corners in Verrett and Sherman (injuries aside, big if), then Ku'ann and DJ Reed. We have thrown PLENTY of resources at this problem. We have Verrett, if he gets hurt then we're going to have to count on Akhello showing some growth. And as bad as they were at the start of last year, we're going to have to depend on them to at least be passable depth which I don't think is crazy to assume. And if we go and draft a corner with our first 3 picks, we're going to be neglecting some other huge problems: IOL depth, Edge, WR, S and OT..I would say all of those positions take precedence over corner given what we did. This is also accounting for the fact that this corner class is not good as it stands right now.

So outside of cutting Ku'ann(which I don't think happens)  and a season ending injury to Verrett resulting in him getting IR'd..I don't see how we have room for another corner. Maybe you can keep one more and justify playing Reed at FS despite him being terrible there and great as nickle corner. I would be furious if we cut Akhello or Moore because neither have played bad enough to be given up on. 

If we go Corner in the 4th, I'll be more or less ok with it, but I just think we have a log jam of "wait and see" and I don't think drafting a mid round corner and cutting Moore/Akhello is anything but a lateral move at best. That's why I thought they were kind of being idiotic. 

They've already talked about safety previously. They even had an entire pod dedicated to the FA class with safety as a talking point. When Ward was resigned, they weren't shy about sharing their dissatisfaction. 

I don't recall them talking about taking Baker with a top ten pick. I just recall them pointing out that they would rather have him compared to Greedy Williams, because he does a multitude of things better. If you remember at what timestamp they said they wouldn't mind using a top ten selection on a corner or Baker, let me know. 

They've been fans of taking Bosa, Williams, or orchestrating a trade back for multiple picks, with the last option a slight preference. 

So the Director of Operations of Scouting for the Giants stated Niners are interested in Butler and have talked to Cincy for a trade. I’m assuming you’d receive 11 and a 1st next year and possibly a 3rd this year. Butler at 11 seems like a massive reach to me. Drop king and not much agility. 

Would set you guys up nicely though:

11. WR Hakeem Butler

36. EDGE Chase Winovich (underrated as heck)

69. CB Joejuan Williams

78. ???

If Jimmy G faulters (don’t think he will) you have a Top 5 pick next year probably with Cincinnati (they are trash) and your own 1st. Can easily package both for the #1 pick and Top QB. 

I still think you guys take Bosa and would he dumb not to but the Butler rumor is pretty interesting. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So the Director of Operations of Scouting for the Giants stated Niners are interested in Butler and have talked to Cincy for a trade. I’m assuming you’d receive 11 and a 1st next year and possibly a 3rd this year. Butler at 11 seems like a massive reach to me. Drop king and not much agility. 

11. WR Hakeem Butler

69. CB Joejuan Williams

78. ???

If Jimmy G faulters (don’t think he will) you have a Top 5 pick next year probably with Cincinnati (they are trash) and your own 1st. Can easily package both for the #1 pick and Top QB. 

I still think you guys take Bosa and would he dumb not to but the Butler rumor is pretty interesting. 

yeah, I do love the idea of getting cincy's first next year. That defense is horrendous and will only get worse next year. They are going to get beaten up in their division too, its going to be ugly. I am good with trading back for that reason alone. It would be great to pick in the top 5 next year again after the niners make the playoffs. Especially if its the #1 overall pick, that would be amazing to trade down again and get even more picks.

I love hakeem butler, I actually think his route running is pretty good. Drops are a concern for sure but its not ability, its a concentration issue. Its something he can clean up imo. 

I was hoping for him in the second, so taking him in the first would be poor value, but in the end if they get a guy I like and with cincy's first next year along with a future 3rd or something and a second this year, I will be good with it. 

10 minutes ago, N4L said:

yeah, I do love the idea of getting cincy's first next year. That defense is horrendous and will only get worse next year. They are going to get beaten up in their division too, its going to be ugly. I am good with trading back for that reason alone. It would be great to pick in the top 5 next year again after the niners make the playoffs. Especially if its the #1 overall pick, that would be amazing to trade down again and get even more picks.

I love hakeem butler, I actually think his route running is pretty good. Drops are a concern for sure but its not ability, its a concentration issue. Its something he can clean up imo. 

I was hoping for him in the second, so taking him in the first would be poor value, but in the end if they get a guy I like and with cincy's first next year along with a future 3rd or something and a second this year, I will be good with it. 

Yeah it’s not a bad idea. They want a big body receiver. I think people are finally realizing there’s not much of a difference between Metcalf and Butler. I’m not huge on either but I always liked Butler more than Metcalf as a boom or bust WR option. Butler has all the making to be AJ Green, and I think I see a little Dez Bryant in there. The question is can he put it together. 

Best Case Scenario: Niners make playoffs, Jimmy and Butler look great, have a Top 10 Pick that you can add an elite defender with. 

Worst Case Scenario: Niners are bad, Jimmy sucks, you have two firsts you can trade into the #1 pick, grab the best QB which is probably Tua. Tua and Kyle Shanahan sounds like the league would be destroyed. Imagine Kyle with Russell Wilson. 

If we trade out of 2, back to 11 to select a WR I'm going to be hot as fish grease. As much as I like Butler, that's not what we should be doing there. Again, this team has no issues scoring points when everyone is healthy. I get we need to add some talent to WR but you can do that in the 2nd. Plenty of options there@WR who could fit the bill. That's just not smart drafting imo. This defense, even after free agency, still needs help and lacks depth. We should still address that side of the ball@11. Someone like Burns or Ferrell should be there@11

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

11. WR Hakeem Butler

69. CB Joejuan Williams

78. ???

If we're trading back to 11, it better be for their first, second, and 4th this year, and a first next year. That's a huge jump for Cincy and it'd be for a QB, so the price is going to be steep.

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

If we trade out of 2, back to 11 to select a WR I'm going to be hot as fish grease. As much as I like Butler, that's not what we should be doing there. Again, this team has no issues scoring points when everyone is healthy. I get we need to add some talent to WR but you can do that in the 2nd. Plenty of options there@WR who could fit the bill. That's just not smart drafting imo. This defense, even after free agency, still needs help and lacks depth. We should still address that side of the ball@11. Someone like Burns or Ferrell should be there@11

Or Sweat. Can you tell 'Tez is growing on me?! I can...maybe I should see a doctor about that...

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I know many (self included) are eager for a day 2 WR, but if Dalton Risner is still there at #36? oh so tough to not select. 

KState has a run game centered offense,  i'm pretty sure they run the single wing or some variation of it even. lol I think they were last in the Big12 in passing offense. Still Risner is impressive for accomplishing that stat, but unless we viewed him as a future Joe Staley replacement, I'd hope we could find an interior lineman later. 

I'd like to see Garnett get a chance to take command of that guard spot, he looked pretty good to close out the year. just hoping he doesnt get crack a pinky toe and miss the entire preseason. 

26 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Risner

unless we viewed him as a future Joe Staley replacement, I'd hope we could find an interior lineman later. 

I would view Risner as the future at RT, and for McG to eventually replace Joe when that time comes. If the F/O doesn't see McG as the future at LT... or they see Risner as only an OG... then yes, this lessens the value that Risner will have for us. 

In the meantime, Risner can provide versatile depth across the line, if he doesn't outright win out on an OG spot. 

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

11. WR Hakeem Butler

69. CB Joejuan Williams

78. ???

When I see the Bengals ever trade up and be aggressive then I will believe it. But this would make more sense if Bosa is taken at 1 to trade back. Now if we continue to hear that the Niners are in love with Butler then I will believe it in the next few weeks. The player they end up drafting seems to always get leaked the past two seasons. So we will see. For now it's all smoke.

Let’s say you get the Bengals 1st, 2nd this year and 4th this year. 

Double dip on WRs, Hakeem Butler and Hollywood Brown. Also get Winovich in the 2nd a corner in the 3rd. 

I think Kyle would be thrilled with both Butler and Hollywood. 

18 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

When I see the Bengals ever trade up and be aggressive then I will believe it. But this would make more sense if Bosa is taken at 1 to trade back. Now if we continue to hear that the Niners are in love with Butler then I will believe it in the next few weeks. The player they end up drafting seems to always get leaked the past two seasons. So we will see. For now it's all smoke.

Given the lack of trading up in the Bengals history, especially a move this big, I tend to believe that this is just scuttle as well. It's a fascinating thought, but I don't view it as anything remotely likely in happening. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Given the lack of trading up in the Bengals history, especially a move this big, I tend to believe that this is just scuttle as well. It's a fascinating thought, but I don't view it as anything remotely likely in happening. 

It is a new coach, but not a new GM, right? So, yes. Perhaps there isn't much to this.

Archived