2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I was talking about what people want, referencing the thread in the comparison forum.  Sorry if that didn't come through in how I wrote it.  Though I will say, I'm actually fascinated by the speed aspect of this article showing that interior pressure may still actually be the slower of the two. I would not have expected that at all. 

You should post this thread in the comparison forum in that thread. Some good data here. 

Ok. Maybe I will post it. 

19 hours ago, rudyZ said:

And the thing is, we already do have interior pressure. So it isn't choosing between inside or outside pressure, it's between more inside pressure than we already have (with Buckner, and hopefully with Thomas) and more outside pressure, which we haven't had much of ever since Aldon crashed into a tree (or a mailbox?) while drunk. DeeFo does weigh into this equation, now, but we could use some redundancy in that aspect of our defense.

@Forge : This is what I was getting at. For our 49ers, we already have interior pressure. Ford should give us edge presence, but if no one caps the other side....? In our case, we need more edge as we already have interior. 

This is one argument of trading the #2 overall pick for OBJ over taking Bosa. Unless the back end of the defense is going to be good, it won't matter how good our pass rush is. The pass rush will our pass coverage some, but they better be able to hold their own and can't have as many breakdowns as they had last season. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

This is the guy I've wanted at WR for like a year. PFF did a spotlight on him three days ago:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-dont-sleep-on-ole-miss-wr-a-j-brown-a-first-round-player

No way he lasts to our second round pick. I'd be shocked. 

My dream scenario for the first 4 rounds:

1. Nick Bosa EDGE

2. A.J. Brown WR

3. Darnell Savage S

4. Dawson Knox TE

I'm cooling on taking an IOL early in the draft because of the Niners' don't seem to value early-round lineman and I'm really starting to jump on the Savage bandwagon. Also, Brown is my #1 WR in the draft this year and I hope like hell he falls to our pick.

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

My dream scenario for the first 4 rounds:

1. Nick Bosa EDGE

2. A.J. Brown WR

3. Darnell Savage S

4. Dawson Knox TE

I'm cooling on taking an IOL early in the draft because of the Niners' don't seem to value early-round lineman and I'm really starting to jump on the Savage bandwagon. Also, Brown is my #1 WR in the draft this year and I hope like hell he falls to our pick.

I’m still thinking IOL in the 4th would be a great spot to add some depth and new blood to OG/C (Phil Haynes), but if the first three picks played out that way I’d be more than happy with whatever followed next. I also think Dawson Knox is going to easily out play his draft position.

55 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I’m still thinking IOL in the 4th would be a great spot to add some depth and new blood to OG/C (Phil Haynes), but if the first three picks played out that way I’d be more than happy with whatever followed next. I also think Dawson Knox is going to easily out play his draft position.

For sure, he might actually be taken in the 3rd, but man, that dude is George Kittle all over again. He does a lot of things really well and is pretty athletic. The only think that might allow him to slip to the 4th is the lack of production in the passing game in college. I see no issue with it as he was easily the 4th or 5th option on a team stacked with big-time WRs, but I hope old-school front office dudes see that and think he doesn't meet their threshold for production. 

One of the cards fans in the draft forum has indicated that a Cards' beat writer is saying that QW is off the table for the #1 overall pick. It'll be Bosa / Murray / trade down. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

One of the cards fans in the draft forum has indicated that a Cards' beat writer is saying that QW is off the table for the #1 overall pick. It'll be Bosa / Murray / trade down. 

Should be fun day on draft day, I wonder if we will get more rumors that Cardinals are going Murray.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Wow that would be the best scenario for us. We can ether pick Bosa or trade down for a massive huel.

People take the trade down opportunity for granted in my opinion. There's no guarantee that there is that level of interest in the pick. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

People take the trade down opportunity for granted in my opinion. There's no guarantee that there is that level of interest in the pick. 

Yeah but typically if a team trades up it's for a QB especially the best QB in the draft.

27 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah but typically if a team trades up it's for a QB especially the best QB in the draft.

No doubt. That being said, we were in this same exact position two years ago, and all of the quarterbacks were there and while we were able to trade down, the interest in our pick appears to have been tepid based on the King article. I think there will be interest, of course, but I think the idea that we land a "haul" may be a little too idealistic. 

If Bosa is on the board, I want a haul. If Bosa is gone at #1, I'm slightly more amenable to trading down at the "not quite a haul" level. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

No doubt. That being said, we were in this same exact position two years ago, and all of the quarterbacks were there and while we were able to trade down, the interest in our pick appears to have been tepid based on the King article. I think there will be interest, of course, but I think the idea that we land a "haul" may be a little too idealistic. 

If Bosa is on the board, I want a haul. If Bosa is gone at #1, I'm slightly more amenable to trading down at the "not quite a haul" level. 

Just curious, how do you rate Bosa and compare him to the other top edge rushers that have come out the last say five or so years ago? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just curious, how do you rate Bosa and compare him to the other top edge rushers that have come out the last say five or so years ago? 

I actually side with Middlekauff on this one. I think in line with Bradley Chubb. 

I like QW, of course, but I'm in no hurry to draft him because I'd rather just give Solly that chance on the interior. Allen has a very wide range of results for me. I could see him being a terror off the edge, but I could see him ending up more as Manny Lawson / Anthony Barr as well where his role at the next level ends up being more off the ball as opposed pure pass rusher. Because of that, I'm not opposed to missing out on either of those guys in a trade down (that's not to say that I wouldn't want them, of course, would be absolutely fine if we selected either). 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually side with Middlekauff on this one. I think in line with Bradley Chubb. 

I like QW, of course, but I'm in no hurry to draft him because I'd rather just give Solly that chance on the interior. Allen has a very wide range of results for me. I could see him being a terror off the edge, but I could see him ending up more as Manny Lawson / Anthony Barr as well where his role at the next level ends up being more off the ball as opposed pure pass rusher. Because of that, I'm not opposed to missing out on either of those guys in a trade down (that's not to say that I wouldn't want them, of course, would be absolutely fine if we selected either). 

Thanks, was just interested in the reasoning of you wanting a big haul for Bosa and if you thought he was a can't miss prospect or anything. 

So how would you rate him coming out between these edge rushers: J. Bosa/Garrett/Clowney/Mack/Chubb/Fowler

Archived