2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thanks, was just interested in the reasoning of you wanting a big haul for Bosa and if you thought he was a can't miss prospect or anything. 

So how would you rate him coming out between these edge rushers: J. Bosa/Garrett/Clowney/Mack/Chubb/Fowler

For coming out of college, my list would be:

1. Clowney - Was hyped as an all-world talent and a generational player.

2. Garrett - Was hyped as the next Clowney.

3. N. Bosa - Is being hyped as better than his brother. More athletic with better technical skills.

4. J. Bosa - Was viewed as the complete picture in terms of EDGE at the time of his draft.

5. Mack - I loved Mack, but there was noticeable knock on his game because of the skill level of competition. People weren't really sure if he was a LB with pass rushing ability or a true EDGE rusher.

6. Chubb - I loved Chubb in the mold of what people thought Solomon Thomas was during the draft (not pro career). People viewed Thomas as a large EDGE that's similar to M. Bennett. That's how I viewed Chubb. I think Chubb is closer to Bennett than what Thomas is.

7. Fowler - I wasn't sure on him, I loved the athleticism, but wasn't super high on him.

If I had to rate these guys now, including where I think N. Bosa fits in, it would look like this:

1. Mack

2. Garrett

3. N. Bosa

4. J. Bosa

5. Clowney

6. Chubb

7. Fowler

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thanks, was just interested in the reasoning of you wanting a big haul for Bosa and if you thought he was a can't miss prospect or anything. 

So how would you rate him coming out between these edge rushers: J. Bosa/Garrett/Clowney/Mack/Chubb/Fowler

No order within the tiers, but: 

Clowney / Mack / MG

Bosa / Bosa / Chubb

Barnett

Fowler

I was very high on Barnett. Not so much Fowler - I still can't believe that they passed up Leonard Williams for Fowler in that draft. 

But the other thing that should be mentioned is that while I don't view Bosa as can't miss or anything, my top tier in this draft is two people - QW and Bosa. Now, I've already said that I probably wouldn't draft QW. I won't hate the selection, just probably not what I would do. So if I'm going to drop down a tier in this draft from a player standpoint, I want more. Guys like Allen / Sweat / Burns / etc...they aren't the same tier for me in this draft. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

No order within the tiers, but: 

Clowney / Mack / MG

Bosa / Bosa / Chubb

Barnett

Fowler

I was very high on Barnett. Not so much Fowler - I still can't believe that they passed up Leonard Williams for Fowler in that draft. 

But the other thing that should be mentioned is that while I don't view Bosa as can't miss or anything, my top tier in this draft is two people - QW and Bosa. Now, I've already said that I probably wouldn't draft QW. I won't hate the selection, just probably not what I would do. So if I'm going to drop down a tier in this draft from a player standpoint, I want more. Guys like Allen / Sweat / Burns / etc...they aren't the same tier for me in this draft. 

Thanks @NinerNation21, good list.

So do you view Bosa as a better pass rusher than say Burns or do you just think he is so much better all around and they are at least comparable rushing the passer? 

So do you view Bosa as a better pass rusher than say Burns or do you just think he is so much better all around and they are at least comparable rushing the passer? 

I think Bosa is better all around and I think that his game has a much better chance of translating as a successful pass rusher at the next level over burns. 

I think Bosa is a better edge rusher than Burns. I like Burns game, but I worry about his ability to keep weight on throughout the season. He played at 220 as a speed rusher and was deadly. But he bulked up to 250 for the combine and still showed his athletism, so that makes people think he could be even more dynamic. But I worry that he will start to drift back to 220 during the season and be a one-dimensional pass rusher. 

With Bosa, he has the best hand use and arsenal of moves. He didn't have any weight questions to answer either. Bosa is a tad more athletic than his brother, but also benefits from learning from his brother to enhance his technical skills. Nick Bosa looks like the complete DE and one that doesn't need to come off the field. 

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think Bosa is a better edge rusher than Burns. I like Burns game, but I worry about his ability to keep weight on throughout the season. He played at 220 as a speed rusher and was deadly. But he bulked up to 250 for the combine and still showed his athletism, so that makes people think he could be even more dynamic. But I worry that he will start to drift back to 220 during the season and be a one-dimensional pass rusher. 

With Bosa, he has the best hand use and arsenal of moves. He didn't have any weight questions to answer either. Bosa is a tad more athletic than his brother, but also benefits from learning from his brother to enhance his technical skills. Nick Bosa looks like the complete DE and one that doesn't need to come off the field. 

FWIW, talk in the draft forum were that Burns lost about 7 pounds between the combine and his pro day, which does add to some concern there. I'm not an end all be all weight guy, but I think it's far too often easily dismissed as "oh, he can put on the weight and keep it on" etc. I don't think that's a guarantee. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

FWIW, talk in the draft forum were that Burns lost about 7 pounds between the combine and his pro day, which does add to some concern there. I'm not an end all be all weight guy, but I think it's far too often easily dismissed as "oh, he can put on the weight and keep it on" etc. I don't think that's a guarantee. 

If I was a prospect who had concerns about being too light, I would drink like 10 lbs of water lol

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

That is concerning. I feel evaluators are probably thinking "Oh, he put on 30 lbs during the offseason and tested really well, this means that he kept his speed, and now we can teach him to use his new strength for power moves. This unlocks more ability for Burns."

I would be really worried that Burns would lose 15 lbs. by week 6 and only rely on speed moves to the outside and be easily predictable. I still like Burns, but in terms of EDGE rushers my list is this:

1. Bosa 

2. Sweat 

3. Burns 

4. Ferrell

5. Allen

6. Winovich 

7. Gary

8. Ximines

9. Ferguson

10. Polite 

NBC Sports' Peter King believes Washington is the "favorite in the clubhouse" to trade for Josh Rosen.

Over the weekend, ESPN's John Keim reported there is a "solid chance" Washington trades for Rosen. The Cardinals are infatuated with Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray, so it seems like a foregone conclusion Rosen will be moved before the draft. The Giants reportedly are "not in love" with Rosen, leaving Washington as the only real suitor unless a team with an older quarterback like the Chargers or Patriots decides to get involved. Rosen did not play well as a rookie, but he was in a bad situation and, most importantly, is on a cheap contract over the next three seasons. The team which ends up trading for him will be getting a bargain.

NBC Sports' Peter King hears Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins is "sinking" and "may be the fourth passer picked in this draft."

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein had a similar report over the weekend, writing Haskins' perceived draft stock has been "more media created than team driven." Expected to be the second quarterback off the board behind Oklahoma's Kyler Murray for most of the process, it now appears as if Missouri's Drew Lock and Duke's Daniel Jones have a real shot of jumping Haskins on draft day. It would be a surprise if all four are not selected on Day 1.

15 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

NBC Sports' Peter King hears Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins is "sinking" and "may be the fourth passer picked in this draft."

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein had a similar report over the weekend, writing Haskins' perceived draft stock has been "more media created than team driven." Expected to be the second quarterback off the board behind Oklahoma's Kyler Murray for most of the process, it now appears as if Missouri's Drew Lock and Duke's Daniel Jones have a real shot of jumping Haskins on draft day. It would be a surprise if all four are not selected on Day 1.

oh god i cant imagine Daniel Jones being drafted ahead of Haskins. 

20 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

This is hilarious. 

4th QB? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! 

12 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

oh god i cant imagine Daniel Jones being drafted ahead of Haskins. 

I can! It all depends on how much value evaluators place on duration of college career. I have reservations about my own Sooner QB Murray's ability to succeed in part due to his total game played being 14. Really small sample size. Haskins has the same problem.

The previous Sooner QB had 3 seasons, so one knew what was possible.

Archived