Grade our Draft: Poll

MWil23

What's your draft grade?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Grade

• A: They nailed it. Dorsey is the GOAT GM
    • B: Solid draft. I think that they got it mostly right, albeit value was a little off
    • C: Average draft. Honestly I wish that we could do a forum vote instead
    • D: Sashi died for this??????
    • F: Truly epic disaster. Baker is going to flame out. Wake me up in 2021

A: Excellent, homerun hit for need and value

B: Above Average/Good

C: Average

D: Below average

F: Outright failure

This is all opinion obviously, and we won't be able to truly "grade" this for 1-3 years at most of these spots, but here's mine:

1.1 Baker Mayfield (QB OU): The Browns majorly reach and draft my 3rd ranked QB in the entire draft behind Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. Sam Darnold wanted to go to Cleveland, has the bigger frame, and is over two years younger. He was a great college QB (albeit not as good as Mayfield) with a calm, cool, demeanor. Mayfield is short, not as athletic as advertised, and pinpoint accurate with a D&D/running from police on his record and various on field antics. If you like Mayfield, he's a fiery competitor who plays with a chip on his shoulders and is the consummate "nobody believes in me!" guy. If you don't like him, you see another small QB with short man syndrome who isn't as athletic as advertised. Time will tell if this pick works out. Grade: C-

1.4 Denzel Ward (CB OSU): The Browns draft the best man/press man corner on their boards. Some say that he could have been had later, but reports indicate that Denver was very interested in Ward and had they stayed at 5 likely would have drafted him. The Browns DESPERATELY needed a corner and got the best one in the draft. Bradley Chubb may be considered a better prospect, but with Garrett and Ogbah already there, it makes sense for this 0-16 roster to get a CB instead of tripling down on a position that they're already set with youth. Grade: A-

2.33 Austin Corbett (OL Nevada): This one was a head scratcher as well. Sources indicate that they're playing him at LT, which is interesting given his frame and struggles with edge rush. He's allegedly versatile. That said, I preferred Landry from Boston College as an edge rush guy or Will Hernandez if they went OL. Grade: C

2.35 Nick Chubb (RB UGA): Pre knee injury, Chubb was once considered a Top 10 lock. He was still a VERY productive RB at UGA, and if his medical stays put, he will be a solid RB. He goes into a backfield where Carlos Hyde is the starter and Duke Johnson is their hybrid 3rd down back/slot guy. I preferred Guice, but off the field attitude/other issues made him drop a long ways anyway. Grade: B+

3.67 Chad Thomas (DE, Miami): Absolutely horrible pick. This former 5 star and solid athlete never figured it out at Miami. The Browns plan to use him as an inside rusher on 3rd downs, which could be beneficial and he could have some success there. Drafting a situational interior pass rusher in the high 3rd round when other talent was on the board wasn't a great decision IMO. Grade: D+

4.105 Antonio Calloway (WR, Florida): The good news is, when Calloway was in college he didn't rape someone in 2016. The bad news is, his defense was that he "was way too stoned". He has major drug issues, testing positive at the combine (where these guys ALWAYS know that they're going to be tested). He was involved/suspended for various other criminal activity. He's allegedly the #1 WR in the draft without the "off field", which is like saying that she's wife material but may moonlight as a prostitute. Dorsey trying to get Tyreke Hill 2.0 with this pick. Grade (1st round value in the 4th round): A-

5.150 Genard Avery: (MLB Memphis): This athletic rushing MLB will come in and contribute in situations immediately. He was highly productive and is highly athletic. I loved this pick. Grade: B+

6.175 Damian Ratley (WR Texas A&M): Highly athletic WR without good game tape. The 6th round is the time to see if athletes can throw it together: Grade: C+/B- (May not make the roster)

6.188 Simeon Thomas (DB Louisiana Lafayette): This 6'3 24/almost 25 year old DB had major off the field issues at LL, suspended for a year and a half for various issues. Grade: C

The Browns really made it known how much they value character in this draft ahead of time, only to target multiple guys with minor to major concerns. That said, if these guys are going to be playing in the league, I'd rather they played for my team than against them. I'm not trying to vet these kids for real life jobs, dating my daughters, etc. All I care about is that they stay out of enough trouble so that they don't get suspended and that more importantly that they contribute for my team, even if they're clowns off the field. 

Ultimately, this draft will rise or fall based upon how good Baker Mayfield is. If he flames out, it's another "Browns being the Browns" move, especially if/when Darnold succeeds in New York. If Baker succeeds, he's the "nobody has ever believed in me" guy in the "nobody ever believes in us" city. He's that doosh that no one wants to play but everyone secretly wishes that they had (Hines Ward syndrome).

If he busts, it's the Browns not learning from QB's with frat boy personality/short man syndrome ala 2014 with Manziel (not that there games are similar at all though).

Total Grade: C

No poll option brah?!

C for me. Inconclusive though. Could be an A if Mayfield is QBOTF and a D if he sucks. If you get four really good future starters including QB, it’s hard not to give it an A. Ward, Chubb, Corbett, Calloway, and Mayfield are your best candidates. Won’t hit on everyone. 

17 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

No poll option brah?!

C for me. Inconclusive though. Could be an A if Mayfield is QBOTF and a D if he sucks. If you get four really good future starters including QB, it’s hard not to give it an A. Ward, Chubb, Corbett, Calloway, and Mayfield are your best candidates. Won’t hit on everyone. 

Poll added just for you

As you mentioned you can't grade a class for several years. In the end this draft will ultimately come down to Baker, it's just that simple. 

I don't know if he'll be any good, but to give him a C- is just plain short sighted. 

On the field Baker was heads above the other 4 top QBs. But there wasn't a clean prospect in the bunch, Baker/system qb, Sam/turnover, Rosen/injuries, Allen/pretty much everything. 

So Baker is a system qb.... okay so what Goff was an air raid guy, Watson was in a similar rpo system and the same for Mariota. 

I was a darnold guy too, but as Joel klatt put it he had Baker #2 a razor blade thin distance behind darmold, so it's not like we drafted a 3rd round guy @#1. 

I don't care for the crotch grab, as a buckeye I hated the flag plant. But I absolutely loved that even after being drafted #1 overall he still wore a shirt saying "walk on" this kid isn't jff he's the anti Johnny, if Johnny had baker's chip on his shoulder he would probably still be a brown. 

A C- seems like sour grape. The pick has been made, he's our guy now, you have to come around to that, I'm not a 100% there yet, but I'm getting there

9 minutes ago, Keylargobrownie said:

As you mentioned you can't grade a class for several years. In the end this draft will ultimately come down to Baker, it's just that simple. 

Correct. exactly what I said.

I don't know if he'll be any good, but to give him a C- is just plain short sighted. 

Not really. A C is average. I graded that pick as slightly below average. If sources are correct in that NY was going Barkley all the way and the Jets had Darnold AND Rosen above Mayfield, we could have gotten him at 4 (not that I wanted to wait until 4 for a QB), and since he was my own personal #3 QB prospect, that means it's poor value AND a poor pick based off of who was available.

On the field Baker was heads above the other 4 top QBs. But there wasn't a clean prospect in the bunch, Baker/system qb, Sam/turnover, Rosen/injuries, Allen/pretty much everything. 

You could say "on the field" for any QB prospect that won the Heisman trophy, considering that goes to the best player in college football.

So Baker is a system qb.... okay so what Goff was an air raid guy, Watson was in a similar rpo system and the same for Mariota. 

I liked Goff, Watson, and Mariota. In all honesty, Baker reminds me a lot of a less athletic and shorter Mariota coming out. Hopefully he's better. We'll see.

I was a darnold guy too, but as Joel klatt put it he had Baker #2 a razor blade thin distance behind darmold, so it's not like we drafted a 3rd round guy @#1. 

I never said that we did. I didn't have it as a razor blade thin distance either. I had Darnold head and shoulders above Mayfield (literally and figuratively), followed by Rosen and then CLOSELY Mayfield.

I don't care for the crotch grab,

Me either

as a buckeye I hated the flag plant.

I didn't care. Maybe their defense should have stopped him and JT should have played better.

But I absolutely loved that even after being drafted #1 overall he still wore a shirt saying "walk on" this kid isn't jff he's the anti Johnny, if Johnny had baker's chip on his shoulder he would probably still be a brown. 

I said that their games aren't similar, but that if they bust, it will be because of attitude/short man syndrome reasons. 

A C- seems like sour grape.

I am sour. That doesn't mean I'm not justified in my stance. I have rationale above and elsewhere which completely backs it up.

The pick has been made, he's our guy now, you have to come around to that, I'm not a 100% there yet, but I'm getting there

I've come around to it. That doesn't mean I have to like the pick. I want Baker to succeed and will support him even though it was probably a bad pick. I hope the kid proves me wrong the way that he has EVERYONE ELSE since college.

QB will define this draft.  If Mayfield succeeds this would probably be viewed as the best draft since before the merger.  I liked several of the picks (Ward at 4 included). Wasn't as high on Mayfield as Darnold, but I am rooting for him to succeed. 

There is a lot of potential I just hope the majority can meet or exceed what potential they have. 

It's probably between a B or C for me now, but Mayfield dependent, could easily be an A++++++.

I gave it a B. I preferred Darnold, but like Baker a lot too. If he turns out to be a legit franchise QB, then this draft is an A even if we don't hit on any other of the other players.

I liked the Ward pick. One could argue that Chubb was the better prospect between the two, but I don't think he's THAT much better. And a #1 CB was a far bigger need than a DE, when we already have Garrett and Ogbah.

I wasn't a fan of taking an OT, as I was cool with going with Coleman as the LT this season. But I certainly don't hate the pick. If Corbett becomes our franchise LT for years to come, then obviously it will be a great pick.

Chubb is a solid pick. I don't love him but I see him being a really solid player for us.

The Chad Thomas pick is the first one I really don't care for. Fits a need as a rotational defensive lineman, sure, but I'd rather have gone for Hearst at that point, even with his medical concerns. Hopefully he'll turn out to be a good player for us, but I won't be remotely surprised if he ends up being just average. But to be fair, I didn't see many Miami Hurricane games in recent years.

Antonio Calloway is definitely a boom/bust pick, but I like the risk in the fourth round. If he keeps his nose clean, then we potentially got a steal. If he doesn't, then it's not a huge loss since it's only a fourth round pick.

I like the Avery pick a lot. We definitely needed some depth at LB, and maybe he could even become a starter eventually. Collins and Kirksey have proven to be good players before, but they had down years. If they don't improve this season, I could see one or both of them being cut.

The rest of the draft is okay. The receiver we drafted seems like he has some potential, but the CB is an uninspiring selection.

So a B sounds about right. We definitely addressed some needs and added players with potential to be very good contributors. I liked it for the most part, but there were some things I would have done a bit differently.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Correct. exactly what I said.

Not really. A C is average. I graded that pick as slightly below average. If sources are correct in that NY was going Barkley all the way and the Jets had Darnold AND Rosen above Mayfield, we could have gotten him at 4 (not that I wanted to wait until 4 for a QB), and since he was my own personal #3 QB prospect, that means it's poor value AND a poor pick based off of who was available.

You could say "on the field" for any QB prospect that won the Heisman trophy, considering that goes to the best player in college football.

I liked Goff, Watson, and Mariota. In all honesty, Baker reminds me a lot of a less athletic and shorter Mariota coming out. Hopefully he's better. We'll see.

I never said that we did. I didn't have it as a razor blade thin distance either. I had Darnold head and shoulders above Mayfield (literally and figuratively), followed by Rosen and then CLOSELY Mayfield.

Me either

I didn't care. Maybe their defense should have stopped him and JT should have played better.

I said that their games aren't similar, but that if they bust, it will be because of attitude/short man syndrome reasons. 

I am sour. That doesn't mean I'm not justified in my stance. I have rationale above and elsewhere which completely backs it up.

I've come around to it. That doesn't mean I have to like the pick. I want Baker to succeed and will support him even though it was probably a bad pick. I hope the kid proves me wrong the way that he has EVERYONE ELSE since college.

You make some decent points, unfortunately I have zero idea to separate them like you did. So I'll address the weakest imo, you mentioned wanting until for to take Baker for better value. The issue is that you simply don't do that with the qb position. If you have a guy rated #1(just or unjust) you take that guy and don't try and get cute. 

In the end we won't know who is correct for several years, hopefully we are both wrong about Darnold being the better of the two QBs, and hopefully he and ward have seen some time playing in Hawaii

11 minutes ago, Keylargobrownie said:

You make some decent points,

Thanks.

unfortunately I have zero idea to separate them like you did.

Just hit enter/return twice when the cursor is where you want it to be. I hope this helps.

So I'll address the weakest imo, you mentioned wanting until for to take Baker for better value. The issue is that you simply don't do that with the qb position. If you have a guy rated #1(just or unjust) you take that guy and don't try and get cute. 

Right, like I said, I didn't WANT to do it and if he's your guy, you draft him at #1, which is something that I've said for the entire offseason. I just was defending my grade as based upon value at the spot taken (my 3rd ranked player drafted at #4 overall, who MAY have still been there/probably would have at #4).

In the end we won't know who is correct for several years, hopefully we are both wrong about Darnold being the better of the two QBs, and hopefully he and ward have seen some time playing in Hawaii

I 100% agree with you here. I really want to be wrong, but I can't exactly back off of a stance that I've held for over 6 months now. I'm coming around and will gladly be defending him and fanatically rooting for him when he's in...but I'm not backing off until he proves it either, and until Darnold proves that he's not the guy in New York.  

We have a team of relative all-stars in our front office.  It's time they prove it by hitting on more picks than they miss.  We have quite a gap to close, gentlemen.

This draft was not what I would've done.  Not even close really, lol.  But I will give this regime a chance, just like the 17 before them.

Just now, ReggieCamp said:

We have a team of relative all-stars in our front office.  It's time they prove it by hitting on more picks than they miss.  We have quite a gap to close, gentlemen.

You’re expecting them to be significantly better at their job than everyone else.  It’s not a good bet.  

Just now, ReggieCamp said:

This draft was not what I would've done.  Not even close really, lol.  But I will give this regime a chance, just like the 17 before them.

I think the difference we should be hoping for is this front office and coach staff (I know, I know) putting the players they do have in a position to succeed and actually developing the talent they have. Coach to strengths, scheme to hide weaknesses, etc. THAT is what really lacked last year imo.

It does seem like there’s at least a plan in place for Baker, which is good.  Other than Ward, none of the other rookies will be pushed to play early thankfully, which is a start.

4 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

17. What is it 19 seasons? Brutal. 

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You’re expecting them to be significantly better at their job than everyone else.  It’s not a good bet.  

Just than everyone else that we've had. I mean, let's hope this balances the scales from the Dwight Clark/Ray Farmer years. It's a statistical anomaly that we could both at both ends of the spectrum here.

I think the difference we should be hoping for is this front office and coach staff (I know, I know) putting the players they do have in a position to succeed and actually developing the talent they have. Coach to strengths, scheme to hide weaknesses, etc. THAT is what really lacked last year imo.

That's what worries me the most about keeping Hue. I can't think of a single player that's actually gotten better under him as a head coach. I'm 100% serious. That was my biggest gripe above the 1-31 record (also that his players gave up/didn't play hard down the stretch).

It does seem like there’s at least a plan in place for Baker, which is good.  Other than Ward, none of the other rookies will be pushed to play early thankfully, which is a start.

I'm torn on this. Only adding 1 starter on an 0-16 team is cause for concern in terms of strictly W/L. That said, as long as our players develop and are good by halfway through/end of the season and ready for 2019 and beyond, I won't truly care.

Archived