Grade our Draft: Poll

MWil23

What's your draft grade?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Grade

• A: They nailed it. Dorsey is the GOAT GM
    • B: Solid draft. I think that they got it mostly right, albeit value was a little off
    • C: Average draft. Honestly I wish that we could do a forum vote instead
    • D: Sashi died for this??????
    • F: Truly epic disaster. Baker is going to flame out. Wake me up in 2021

22 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

So you're saying that if our number one overall pick in the draft isn't good then we blew it but if we'd taken Darnold number one and he was no good then we didn't blow it?

Think about it.

That is an irrational and simplistic reply on many levels.

First, with our two top picks we could have and should have got more value.

Selecting two undersized players at two premium positions doesn't impress me.

Buffalo came knocking for # 4 and we didn't answer to take Ward?

Not getting additional this/next year picks with the extraordinary pick value we had factors strongly in my grading.

Second, I wanted at least two immediate impact starters (not including QB) out of the first 5 picks and I do not see them.

That also factors strongly in my grading.

Third,  I am not alone by any means in questioning the Mayfield selection.

Many have questioned that pick. Few would have questioned picking Darnold.

The monkey now is on Dorsey's back regarding taking a QB with red flags and, imho, questionable NFL upside.

If you lose on the consensus pick, you skate; if you lose on a questionable pick, you sink.

Fourth and finally, there would have been no QB debate had Darnold (my choice, yes) or Allen gone at #1.

But there is now. Vegas already has Mayfield starting more games than Taylor this season.

And with the idiot Hueball still in the picture, despite all his protestations to the contrary, I can see it...actually, I can see him contriving it.

More dysfunction and chaos with a highly uncertain outcome than some calm coupled with sufficient wins with Taylor and progression toward building a winning team.

You might want to give up mind-reading or at least keep your day job.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

That is an irrational and simplistic reply on many levels.

First, with our two top picks we could have and should have got more value.

Buffalo came knocking for # 4 and we didn't answer to take Ward?

Not getting additional this/next year picks with the extraordinary pick value we had factors strongly in my grading.

Second, I wanted at least two immediate impact starters (not including QB) out of the first 5 picks and I do not see them.

That also factors strongly in my grading.

Third,  I am not alone by any means in questioning the Mayfield selection.

Many have questioned that pick. Few would have questioned picking Darnold.

The monkey now is on Dorsey's back regarding taking a QB with red flags and, imho, questionable NFL upside.

If you lose on the consensus pick, you skate; if you lose on a questionable pick, you sink.

Fourth and finally, there would have been no QB debate had Darnold (my choice, yes) or Allen gone at #1.

But there is now. Vegas already has Mayfield starting more games than Taylor this season.

And with the idiot Hueball still in the picture, despite all his protestations to the contrary, I can see it...actually, I can see him contriving it.

More dysfunction and chaos with a highly uncertain outcome than some calm coupled with sufficient wins with Taylor and progression toward building a winning team.

You might want to give up mind-reading or at least keep your day job.

6db.jpg

Mostly just because I feel like missing a chance to share this meme is sad.

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Ward is average height, a little light but will likely be average in 2 years.

If you lose on the consensus pick, you skate

You do not, you pick a bust at QB at #1 you lose your job unless you are established and if you are picking #1 you probably aren't.

taking a QB with red flags and, imho, questionable NFL upside.

Light orange flags at best. He also has unlimited upside. Same with all of the top QBs in the draft. It's up to them how they handle their talent but our QB's arm gives him great upside.

@bruceb I think your worries about Ward being undersized are unfounded. He’s mad athletic and had no problem with larger wrs. I personally like him more than I did Joe Haden coming out of college and I loved Haden. Note:

That 131 yards on 34 targets equates to 3.85 yards per catch! ?

I’m pretty positive we got ourselves a really good one. 

Let go bruce, obviously the Browns professional talent evaluators see things similarly as I saw them.  Not as the arm chair QBs that were drooling for Mr. Mediocre saw them.  The sooner you let go, the sooner the healing can begin.

19 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Is that when you admit that Mayfield was a tremendously better pick than Darnold would have been?

Depends on how Darnold does.

And "tremendously", really?

Never.

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

Depends on how Darnold does.

And "tremendously", really?

Never.

Em, yeah, you should have been taking notes, I told you from the beginning, Darnold's ceiling and floor are remarkably close together, and that is mediocre.  I have also told you from the beginning, out of the box that Mayfield is by far the best of the bunch.  I also told you that Allen had the highest ceiling of them all, but a bigger chance to bust than Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold (I do not think that he will though).  I also told you all along that Rosen had potential to be a very good QB, but he was not really a fit for Cleveland, and would not be nearly as good as Mayfield anyway.  I told you that Larmar Jackson has crazy high potential but also crazy high bust potential as well.  Finally, I told you that Mason Rudolph would be a steal (this one stings), and the Steelers got their heir apparent to Ben.

My track record speaks for itself, watch it ALL play out.

After the 1st round of this draft I graded it a F because we didn't take Darnold. After about a week and I started seeing what Baker brought to the table I would now grade this draft a solid B. If Mayfield doesn't pan out then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it but for now I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Archived