Who plays MLB this year

Lambert44

10 minutes ago, Lambert44 said:

The Raiders had to cut (cap casualty) Bowman he is available.

If Bostic is all that why did he last so long as a free agent and at a low price?

Not saying he is a bad player, he is just a stop gap until we find someone, nothing more

He is injured a lot.

I was disappointed that we did not try to bring in another or different type of ILB.  I think we do need an athletic type who can drop into coverage. LJ Fort is the only ILB who remotely resembles anyone with the quickness to do this.  I liked Skai Moore South Carolina who went un-drafted, but had 14 career INT's dropping in coverage. He did not run a blazing 40 which is part of why (previous neck/back injury concerns as well) he wasn't drafted.

I liked Bostic when he was coming out of school and still like him.  He is better at diagnosing plays and pre snap movement than anyone else on our roster. I think Dirty Red is #2 in that category. Let's be honest 40 yard dash times can be very deceptive at positions.  Just because you have long speed doesn't mean that you have the quickness and reactions to go sideline to sideline, beat a CB or stay with a WR. The short shuttle and cone drills are better drills for football and determining football speed.

I think Dirty Red will see some reps and because of his football IQ, he may steal some playing time from Vince.  One of the best draft picks was getting a true NG for the base defense.  Josh Frazier will occupy two blockers which should free an ILB to roam to the ball. Many people, I feel under-estimate the importance of having that big nasty up front who occupies blockers. Larry Foote was an effective ILB because of his football IQ and the fact he had Big Snack or Chris Hoke in front of him. He was average at dropping in coverage, but occasionally would tip a ball or even come up with an INT. The same can be said with Dirty Red and Bostic.

We complain about Coach T being enamored with athleticism, but yet we do the same thing in our evaluations. The first thing I said was that I wanted an athletic ILB as well. We got stomped in the run game when Shazier was healthy as well.

Bostic's biggest problem was staying healthy. He is not going to keep up with fast QB's and RB's or athletic TE's.  He will take good angles, fight off blocks and keep lineman's hands off of him in pursuit to the football.  Having better support in the middle and having a high IQ football guy like Bostic along with our 2000 strong safeties should help the run defense.

I really disliked taking Dobbs in the 4th last year felt we should have drafted defense instead (wasted pick) will be cut this year.

Would our draft look better if we took Josey Jewell in the 3rd this year instead of Okafor?????

No need right now for a project Olineman

Just now, Lambert44 said:

I really disliked taking Dobbs in the 4th last year felt we should have drafted defense instead (wasted pick) will be cut this year.

Would our draft look better if we took Josey Jewell in the 3rd this year instead of Okafor?????

No need right now for a project Olineman

would it look better for you or better for the team?  I do not know the answer an no one does

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

would it look better for you or better for the team?  I do not know the answer an no one does

I think the team needs defense. Did you watch Jacksonville with Blake Bortles torch us in the play-offs at home?

No one knows the answers, but I think we have a really good offense that can put up some numbers.

I do not know if our defense can stop  play off caliber teams, not real confident right now.

1 hour ago, Armsteeld2 said:

For all those saying Bostic is a poor athlete or that he can’t go sideline to sideline, you must didn’t watch him at Florida.  He was a monster in the middle of the field.  Is he athletic?  You tell me.

Height: 6007
Weight: 245
40 Yrd Dash: 4.61
20 Yrd Dash: 2.67
10 Yrd Dash: 1.59
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.24
3-Cone Drill: 6.99

Those numbers are great. But I know when I watch him he isn't THAT explosive sideline to sideline. He isn't terrible but that isn't a strength of his either. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I think Adams MIGHT replace Allen there.  I also can see Davis sitting for Hilton unless you see that as a dime

Big Nickle means 3 safeties.

If it was Hilton for Davis that would make it a standard Nickle.

Hot take (for on here): Adams won't make the 52 man roster.

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Those numbers are great. But I know when I watch him he isn't THAT explosive sideline to sideline. He isn't terrible but that isn't a strength of his either. 

I agree. I actually really liked Bostic coming out, but he seems slower in the NFL then he did in college. Not sure if he put on weight or was injured, but he definitely seems to have lost a step since his Florida days. I still like the signing, but I don't think things are going to go well if he is starting next to Williams. If he was starting next to Shazier, I would actually be pretty excited.

6 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

My dream would be cut Wilcox now and sign Bowman.  However,  the Steelers are probably happy with Bostic.

I thought Bowman for this UFA ILB signing all since the off season began and still can't understand why he isn't signed.  Sign Bowman, have Allen learn from an former  pro bowler and learn how a true pro leads by example.  What would you expect Bowmans cap  hit be if he signed?

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Have you watched him in the NFL? He has not remotely lived up to his days at Florida.

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Big Nickle means 3 safeties.

If it was Hilton for Davis that would make it a standard Nickle.

Hot take (for on here): Adams won't make the 52 man roster.

What's the difference between your 2-4 Big Nickel and your other Big Nickel? Besides the 2 and 3 DL of course.

But do both have 3 safeties as you're saying above? If so, who is your 3rd safety then when Edmunds is at LB?

21 minutes ago, JPeezy55 said:

What's the difference between your 2-4 Big Nickel and your other Big Nickel? Besides the 2 and 3 DL of course.

But do both have 3 safeties as you're saying above? If so, who is your 3rd safety then when Edmunds is at LB?

I mean, it's pretty much spelled out there.  With 3 DL there's 3 safeties, one in the box.  With 2 DL there's 4 safeties, with 3 deep.

35 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Have you watched him in the NFL? He has not remotely lived up to his days at Florida.

Yes, being a Vol fan I watched him a few times in college and he was really good. I did not see the same player (though still pretty decent) in the NFL. 

In the base, it's obviously Bostic and WIlliams with Burnett and Davis at safety. The only way this changes is if
Edmunds is too good to keep off the field and replaces Davis. I think that's a bit much to ask, but maybe.

Don't forget how versatile Burnett is.

I think for most of this year, he moves to LB on passing downs, and if ready, Edmunds is the third safety.

By the way, I'm also really intrigued by how they use Samuels on offense. He was such a good pick.

Archived