Who plays MLB this year

Lambert44

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I mean, it's pretty much spelled out there.  With 3 DL there's 3 safeties, one in the box.  With 2 DL there's 4 safeties, with 3 deep.

Confusing because you said "Big Nickel" has 3 safeties but referred to them both as Big Nickel, I assumed with 2-4 look, was just checking your wording. Not to nitpick, I just see it as more a Dime or Quarter look 

6 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

Confusing because you said "Big Nickel" has 3 safeties but referred to them both as Big Nickel, I assumed with 2-4 look, was just checking your wording. Not to nitpick, I just see it as more a Dime or Quarter look 

I labeled one of them a 3-4 “big nickle” because it used a safety as a LB and the other on a 2-4 because it had 2-DL. Count it more on where they line up than the fact it’s a DB because I think we’re going to see them in there on a ton of formations and internally think of them as LBs and not DBs. 

19 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

perhaps a thread that explains the different arrangements with the front and LB's and DB's.

In any arrangement, I just don't see how anyone would rather have dupree at LDE/elephant/Edge instead of Heayward OTHER than for dropping into coverage. 

8 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Sounds like Mychal Kendrick of the Eagles could possibly be a trade candidate. I would like that for a late round pick.  Not sure what his cap number is though.

$5.8 this year; $6.8 next year.  $1.6 mil in dead money to trade him.  Carries cap hits of $7.6mil and $8.6mil.  Not sure how it changes by being traded though.

Rough trade estimate:  $3.2mil this year and $1.6mil next year would be dead cap on the Eagles, meaning we take on $4mil this year.  The players we have closest to accounting for that amount are Vance McDonald, Tyson Alualu, and a Vince Williams/Coty Sensabaugh duo.

11 hours ago, warfelg said:

$5.8 this year; $6.8 next year.  $1.6 mil in dead money to trade him.  Carries cap hits of $7.6mil and $8.6mil.  Not sure how it changes by being traded though.

Rough trade estimate:  $3.2mil this year and $1.6mil next year would be dead cap on the Eagles, meaning we take on $4mil this year.  The players we have closest to accounting for that amount are Vance McDonald, Tyson Alualu, and a Vince Williams/Coty Sensabaugh duo.

I’d say goodbye City and redo contracts of Alualu and McDonald.  Kendricks is a perfect replacement for Shazier.  Reportedly he was on the market last season as well.

3 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

I’d say goodbye City and redo contracts of Alualu and McDonald.  Kendricks is a perfect replacement for Shazier.  Reportedly he was on the market last season as well.

Alualu is in year 2 of a 2 year deal so that would mean adding years to his deal.  Vance would make sense if you pick up his 2020 club option now ($5.5 mil) and restructure, leaving the 2021 year out of the deal.

On 2018-05-03 at 9:21 AM, wwhickok said:

I think it's because I have not seen this defense in action yet with the new additions but I am extremely underwhelmed about the prospects of this defense going into the season

It's not what I was asking for but if this works and there is a new scheme in place then I will give compliments to the FO. Sadly the 3 areas of major weakness are from (2) bad RD1 picks and the other RD1 pick got injured and career is threatened.  That isn't easy to replace in a draft and an offseason with no cap $ left since they tagged bell. Our forum could have been more active if the let bell walk, but now we are out of options:(

On 2018-05-01 at 7:11 AM, warfelg said:

I labeled one of them a 3-4 “big nickle” because it used a safety as a LB and the other on a 2-4 because it had 2-DL. Count it more on where they line up than the fact it’s a DB because I think we’re going to see them in there on a ton of formations and internally think of them as LBs and not DBs. 

I called the 2-4 the light nickel, since it was light on the front and terrible vs the run. This is a terrible scheme  IMO.  A reason I would prefer a stronger heavier 4 man front is to have a better run D . Just think of it, who would be better at run D and rushing the passer from the left side Heyward or dupree? It won't happen (for a while anyways) because  we know they want to prove they are right drafting dupree, so lets hope they are right.  It's awful to watch that 2-4 get ran over on a regular basis.

I would prefer a D with consistent solid play vs both run and pass rather than risk one or the other with certain fronts. 2-4 is terrible vs the run, stop using it. If we had really good OLB's, maybe but even then it bothered me when LeBeau would drop Harrison into coverage on passing downs. 

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I called the 2-4 the light nickel, since it was light on the front and terrible vs the run. This is a terrible scheme  IMO.  A reason I would prefer a stronger heavier 4 man front is to have a better run D . Just think of it, who would be better at run D and rushing the passer from the left side Heyward or dupree? It won't happen (for a while anyways) because  we know they want to prove they are right drafting dupree, so lets hope they are right.  It's awful to watch that 2-4 get ran over on a regular basis.

I would prefer a D with consistent solid play vs both run and pass rather than risk one or the other with certain fronts. 2-4 is terrible vs the run, stop using it. If we had really good OLB's, maybe but even then it bothered me when LeBeau would drop Harrison into coverage on passing downs. 

1, they won't be going to a more 4-3 or 4-2 look.  Just ain't happening.

2, what you give up in the 2-4 you give up just the opposite in the 4-2.  You make yourself vulnerable to the pass because a 'big' 4 man front is not a pass rushing set.  Heyward and Tuitt do not have the bend to close in from the outside, and Hargrave and whoever won't have the push to collapse the pocket properly.  This will lead to in the passing game either easy side escapes for the QB's, or it if Tuitt and Heyward manage to get upfield the QB will be able to step up much easier.  Plus there's not guarantee from the 7T spot or 9T spot that Tuitt and Heyward would be able to properly contain the edges of the run and turn runners back.  So lots of fallicies there.

I come down to most the problem isn't the scheme it's the talent.  Our safeties didn't play downhill enough, once Shazier was out we didn't have a ILB with the ability to get off the blocks, they didn't fill the proper gaps, and about 10 other problems.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Heyward and Tuitt do not have the bend to close in from the outside, and Hargrave and whoever won't have the push to collapse the pocket properly

This is where we disagree politely ;) 

I think Heyward would be an excellent LDE and also  know that dupree isn't. Tuitt would be in side, agree he can't play LDE in a 4 man front. I'm not giving up on Hargrave if he is in an attacking scheme and inside as such with Tuitt, could be effective.  This front won't occur anyways war, so don't worry. They want to make their RD1 pick in dupree be proven a good pick and will start and play him as much as they can. If we went to this front above , dupree wouldn't see the field much unless Watt got hurt.  Right now the dupree situation is affecting the front, and still undecided about burns, but this is make or brake for him. 

This begs the question then:  Why put one of the best to near elite interior pass rushers in the NFL and make him a DE?

Would you do the same with Suh?  Donald?  McCoy? No.  So why with Hayward?

There aren't very many 300Lb 4-3 DEs. Cam is one of the BEST 3-4 DEs. A healthy Watt is the only one better (imo). As a rule, 300LB people don't have much bend. They don't have much speed. They can have an explosive 1st step but not 5-10 yard speed. They can have tremendous strength and hand usage. That's how they win. That's what Cam offers. That isn't the making of a good 4-3 DE. Stop trying to shove a round peg into a square hole.  

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This begs the question then:  Why put one of the best to near elite interior pass rushers in the NFL and make him a DE?

Would you do the same with Suh?  Donald?  McCoy? No.  So why with Hayward?

Heyward as not an elite pass rushing DL in college.  He is ready made for what the Steelers like in DEs. 6'5 and 300lbs.

Archived