Jags cut Brad Nortman

KhanYouDigIt

Figured he was just competition, but outright letting go of Nortman? Joe D must have big time confidence in this guy. Nortman was far from perfect but he had some really really good games for us last season.

Don't really know anything about Cooke.

35 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Figured he was just competition, but outright letting go of Nortman? Joe D must have big time confidence in this guy. Nortman was far from perfect but he had some really really good games for us last season.

2.5M for a punter just isn't feasible. I thought they'd allow for a competition between them but...

58 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

2.5M for a punter just isn't feasible. I thought they'd allow for a competition between them but...

Usually when a team drafts a punter (with a veteran punter on the roster), this is what happens. It is possible we bring in a cheap veteran or another rookie as competition though.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Usually when a team drafts a punter (with a veteran punter on the roster), this is what happens. It is possible we bring in a cheap veteran or another rookie as competition though.

I dunno if hes been signed but the punter from Marshall would be nice

The idea of a "punting competition" is stupid anyway.  Like what the heck are you gonna do?  Have a "punt off"?  xD  It's like kicking.  Tough position to have an actual "battle" at because it's such a percentage-based role.  Unless one or the other of the guys is a totally useless bum, you're not really going to learn a lot in camp.  Especially when it's such an asymmetrical competition where one guy is making like 5x more than the other.

Hopefully this new guy isn't a total bum.  They did also bring in an UDFA punter just in case though, right?  And obviously they felt this Cooke character was good enough to draft.  So that pretty much sealed Nortman's fate, in this organizations mad dash to cut every feasible $$$ corner they can...to roll more over for next year.

As to @.Buzz's assertion that $2.5M for a punter "just isn't feasible", i kinda disagree.  Not to dive back into that "Bryan Anger is totally more valuable than Russell Wilson in the draft" well, but for a team that wants to play the sort of grinding ball possession+stifling defense sort of close games, field position is absolutely critical.  Our Punter hitting coffin corners and giving teams a long field when Bortles stalls out drives (and our kicker doesn't have the biggest leg), is a big part of this team's strategy.  It's absolutely feasible imo, and we have the space for it right now.  They've just chosen to go with a budget option, at the risk of a drop-off in performance.  It's certainly on the rich side, and it's far from ideal...but it's still "feasible", if you make it a priority.  This staff obviously do not place a priority on those kicking positions (which is weird, because they'd talked a crapload about the crucial role of ST and brought in specific ST aces for reasonable money).

I just hope this isn't the punting version of the Jason Meyers saga.

7 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Yea i feel like unless it was time sensitive, making this decision seems rash

I honestly didn't realize it, but apparently he was 30th in net last year. I certainly didn't think he was that bad, but perhaps there was something there.

A rookie punter isn't just about the actual kicking, which inexperience can cause inconsistencies and more bad kicks than you'd like. Could also have cases where a rookie mishandles a punt and it leads to a touchdown by other team.

How much are we spending on guys like McCray, carey, and Davis? I know McCray is making 4M per iirc. And you're going to tell me that 2.5 is too much for a guy who is going to be relied upon to flip field positions?

I think there's some performance there that Joe D didn't like about Nortman.

Also, been trying to look up more info about Cooke (not a lot of info on him), but apparently he has a pretty good leg and handled kickoffs. That may have been a consideration since Lambo doesn't get great depth on kickoffs 

21 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I honestly didn't realize it, but apparently he was 30th in net last year. I certainly didn't think he was that bad, but perhaps there was something there.

A rookie punter isn't just about the actual kicking, which inexperience can cause inconsistencies and more bad kicks than you'd like. Could also have cases where a rookie mishandles a punt and it leads to a touchdown by other team.

How much are we spending on guys like McCray, carey, and Davis? I know McCray is making 4M per iirc. And you're going to tell me that 2.5 is too much for a guy who is going to be relied upon to flip field positions?

Also, been trying to look up more info about Cooke (not a lot of info on him), but apparently he has a pretty good leg and handled kickoffs. That may have been a consideration since Lambo doesn't get great depth on kickoffs 

think Carey and Davis and like 2 million or so each.  i only expect 1 of them to make the roster and im thinking its cody davis cuz he might be a potential FS for us. 

3 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I think part of the "net punt" yardage figure is that this team had a kicker that they straight up didn't trust for part of the year, and then a guy who doesn't have a big leg to hit those long ones for the rest of the year.  Along with a defense we trusted a lot (obviously).  Combined with an offense that actually got some yardage and didn't start every drive from the shadow of their own goalposts...you get a lot less open field for a guy to punt to.  Like in the Anger days, our team was mostly horrendous...so you've got all sorts of room to boot it a hundred yards down field and pile up that punt yardage.

The thing Nortman seemed to have a feel for, was putting in smaller areas on a shorter field that hemmed the opponents into their own danger zone, letting our defense pin its ears back and intimidate.

Which is fine if the new guy can do just as well for cheaper.  But it's still an important part of the game.  And they obviously recognize that with what we're spending on those other STers.  It just seems to be part of this staff's philosophy to devalue the kicking positions.

Archived