Baker Mayfield: League Perception

FGK

There have been some really interesting interviews since the draft that have made it seem like the Browns might not have been the only team that had Mayfield as their #1 QB, or even in the minority.

In addition to these, Todd Bowles had a radio interview in which, while saying they were happy at getting Darnold, he refused to say that Darnold was the top QB on their board. In addition, there is a rumor floating that it was Baker and not Darnold that the Giants would've considered taking at #2.

So, the question is this: Did the media misread the NFL's "consensus" top QB? Did Baker's 'I luv football' attitude and old school leader mentality overcome the height questions to make him a more popular candidate with "football guys" as well as the analytics crowd?

6 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Judging by the amount of people that absolutely love Baker, I and a very few others in this forum are either going to be proven to be master talent evaluators or completely unknowledgeable about the QB position.

Not necessarily. I really think the top 3 this year all have really good shots at being awesome. I'm just looking at these reports and wondering if we misjudged. I always assumed that it would be analytics guys who would be highest on Mayfield. But it seems like the teams I've seen rumored to have had Baker at QB1 (Giants, Jets, Denver, AZ) have mostly "football guy" FOs.

Good nugget from Peter Schrager about the Patriots and Mayfield. On the NFL Network telecast, Schrager said the Patriots spent time Monday with Mayfield, which raised some eyebrows. Mike Reiss, in his Sunday column on ESPN, added the fact that it was offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels who visited Mayfield in his hometown of Austin on Monday. That would lend credence to the theory in some corners that if Mayfield dropped down to, say, six or seven in round one, New England might have been able to offer enough to move up from the 23rd pick in the round to tempt a team in trade.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/30/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-draft-mmqb-peter-king

Just now, freakygeniuskid said:

Not necessarily. I really think the top 3 this year all have really good shots at being awesome. I'm just looking at these reports and wondering if we misjudged. I always assumed that it would be analytics guys who would be highest on Mayfield. But it seems like the teams I've seen rumored to have had Baker at QB1 (Giants, Jets, Denver, AZ) have mostly "football guy" FOs.

Yeah, though I mean weighing it up in the grand scheme now. Analytics always had Baker as QB1 and now he was actually drafted number one overall. Can't really get better than that. The reports of all these teams that supposedly had him as QB1 all along instead of Sam are just icing on the cake.

The process ended with him as QB1. Meanwhile, I was at the extreme end of the spectrum and have no problem in admitting I didn't have him as a Top 50 player.

I'm outright putting this out there as well so that karma can get me and make me the butt of every joke in here when he tears it up and becomes excellent. Would be happy to take that bullet.

I've heard a lot of this to be honest, that there was much more traction of teams around the league who liked Mayfield much more than the media did.

I wonder a lot about what Sashi would have done, because based on analytics, I think he would have gone Baker Mayfield at #1 also.

When "Football" guys and "analytics" guys agree on something, were still finding ways to be pissed about it.

I wanted Darnold more and I am on record saying that many times, but I do think Mayfield will succeed in this league and we will be very happy with this pick...

I'll be happy when Baker proves me wrong. I'll even post an official letter to the forum admitting as much and will gladly let anyone who wants to come on down and throw some shade. I'll happily be the dunk tank guy.

source.gif

Highsmith today admitted Mayfield was not his first choice until they met him and he blew him away. Darnold was 1 and he doesn't specify whether it was Mayfield or Rosen 2. But he does say this:

He was concerned by Rosen when he asked a Bruins volleyball coach about him and the guy was like "aaaah you should probably ask his girlfriend, she's one of the players, she's over there".

Apparently that was enough for him to not feel great about Rosen.

Not quite Homeless Jimmy Haslam, but let's hope Volleyball gf doesn't become the next piece of Browns infamous folklore.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

So we picked Baker because of his personality.

Oh boy.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05/01/baker-mayfield-sam-darnold-browns-nfl-draft/

The quote that I'm going to post is where I stopped reading:

“From the start of this college football season to the end of the season, I had Darnold No. 1

Honestly, how anyone could change their mind without any film/opponents played is nothing short of astounding.

I hope that we picked correctly. It's mind numbing. 

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

So we picked Baker because of his personality.

Oh boy.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05/01/baker-mayfield-sam-darnold-browns-nfl-draft/

That quote is galling. So he spent the entire year watching the tape, the most important part. And having Darnold 1.

Then changed it after meeting Baker in person.

Trust your eyes. Not your ears.

They fell in love with him because they think he’s the pied-piper. I’d have less of a problem with the pick were not for silly articles/quotes like above. Silly reasons to change an NFL QB eval and put him above Darnold. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

They fell in love with him because they think he’s the pied-piper. I’d have less of a problem with the pick were not for silly articles/quotes like above. Silly reasons to change an NFL QB eval and put him above Darnold. 

He'd better be the pied piper all the way to the endzone and all the way to titles. That's the only "leader of men" aspect that I care about.

Archived