Baker Mayfield: League Perception

FGK

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It should be no surprise that the league positively views one of the statistically best QBs of all time...

NFL types love his personality and intangibles...

The question at hand is not if teams loved Baker Mayfield... it's how many competent FOs had Baker Mayfield ranked over Sam Darnold... or even the other QBs...

So far based on scouting consensus that's a resounding no...

MKC says otherwise

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

MKC says otherwise

hahaha...

https://923thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/mary-kay-cabot-5-1-18

she backed off and said in audio on Baskin and Phelps that she really only has 4 teams definitely say they had Baker at 1 (directly from decision makers or personnel people's mouths)....the rest was really speculation of reporters "in the know" just like she "was"... that's how she got to the number 12....

About DAMN time, Mind! We nearly made it four WHOLE pages without your shooting down our optimism!

I keed, I keed. In all seriousness, the fact that you shoot down EVERY bit of hope almost feels like the boy crying wolf. I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, but the fact that you deny ALL these things without a single indication of something going in favor of Baker is making this less and less believable for me personally.

56 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

hahaha...

https://923thefan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/mary-kay-cabot-5-1-18

she backed off and said in audio on Baskin and Phelps that she really only has 4 teams definitely say they had Baker at 1 (directly from decision makers or personnel people's mouths)....the rest was really speculation of reporters "in the know" just like she "was"... that's how she got to the number 12....

The fact that other teams definitely say he was their number one guys should at a minimum make it clear it wasn’t as universally Darnold as some want to make it out to be.

Hell, many teams aren’t all that keen on revealing who they liked at all, even after the fact.

I finally found the source of the Giants liking Mayfield rumor.

Gettleman said on a press call, "Once Mayfield went #1 we were locked into Barkley." And since he's the only guy missing, it implies that he is the one who could've changed what they did. And somebody ran with that and asked Shurmur if they would've taken Mayfield and if Barkley was #1 on their board and he balked at both.

We cant seriously be having a discussion of worst Browns draft pick ever discussion without a shoutout to Manziel, can we? It was obvious what his priorities were when he did stuff like get too drunk/hungover that he was sent home from the Manning passing camp, and it wasn't football. Might as well have taken a draft card, lit it on fire, and handed it in.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:00 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

Judging by the amount of people that absolutely love Baker, I and a very few others in this forum are either going to be proven to be master talent evaluators or completely unknowledgeable about the QB position.

And if i am wrong this time i will have dominos pizza with anchovies alamode

Side note on my thoughts regarding Baker:

*I hope he's that guy that 99% of the league absolutely despises and that he's SWEET. I hope he's that DBAG that everyone hates but secretly wishes was on their team, like Hines Ward, Ray Lewis, etc. 

*I hope he's winning games in Pittsburgh/Baltimore here in a couple of years as an established Pro Bowler, and I hope he's getting fined for throwing TD's in overtime and then making throat slash gestures to the crowd.

*I hope that he's making the silence gesture and mocking fans of opponents on the road when we win while he's on his way off the field

*I hope that he totally embraces the role as the villain and doesn't even try to hide who he is

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*I hope he's that guy that 99% of the league absolutely despises and that he's SWEET. I hope he's that DBAG that everyone hates but secretly wishes was on their team, like Hines Ward, Ray Lewis, etc. 

*I hope he's winning games in Pittsburgh/Baltimore here in a couple of years as an established Pro Bowler, and I hope he's getting fined for throwing TD's in overtime and then making throat slash gestures to the crowd.

*I hope that he's making the silence gesture and mocking fans of opponents on the road when we win while he's on his way off the field

*I hope that he totally embraces the role as the villain and doesn't even try to hide who he is

I never thought of ray as a DB, ward maybe a little. One thing about those guys is that they won, and they won a lot. As far as the gestures, I could care less, "just win baby" 

I never really understood the seeming love so many had for Darnold. I wouldn't have been depressed if we picked Darnold, but I would have been very worried. The more I delved into the QBs it became apparent to me Mayfield was vastly superior to the others. The only knock I kept hearing was height, off-field stuff, and Big 12 hurr durr. All of these alleged deficiencies were drastically overblown. He's demonstrated height isn't an issue by having the fewest batted passes at the LOS. The off-field/character stuff struck me as overblown since by virtually all reports everyone loves the kid. Yeah, he got drunk and pulled a dumbass move, but he doesn't appear to have substance abuse issues like Manziel. Finally, when you compare Mayfield's performances against top 50 college defenses to Darnold's he is light years better. If you ask me honestly, I think Darnold is going to be a bust. I hate to wish for it, but part of me hopes he is and Mayfield leads us to a Superbowl win just to stick it in all these media people's faces.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

God, I would really love for this to come true relating to Pittsburgh and Baltimore. I would prefer he not taunt the rest of the league, but I hope you just embarrasses and harasses Pittsburgh and Baltimore and their fans.

46 minutes ago, shoffma1999 said:

I never really understood the seeming love so many had for Darnold. I wouldn't have been depressed if we picked Darnold, but I would have been very worried. The more I delved into the QBs it became apparent to me Mayfield was vastly superior to the others. The only knock I kept hearing was height, off-field stuff, and Big 12 hurr durr. All of these alleged deficiencies were drastically overblown. He's demonstrated height isn't an issue by having the fewest batted passes at the LOS. The off-field/character stuff struck me as overblown since by virtually all reports everyone loves the kid. Yeah, he got drunk and pulled a dumbass move, but he doesn't appear to have substance abuse issues like Manziel. Finally, when you compare Mayfield's performances against top 50 college defenses to Darnold's he is light years better. If you ask me honestly, I think Darnold is going to be a bust. I hate to wish for it, but part of me hopes he is and Mayfield leads us to a Superbowl win just to stick it in all these media people's faces.

I really don’t think he’ll bust, and I still feel he’ll be the best out of this draft. 

But now that Mayfield is our guy I hope we meet Darnold in the championship game and Mayfield kicks his duker shooter. 

Archived