Boston Celtics vs Philadelphia Sixers - The Process Needs Refinement

resilient part 2

3 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

He doesn't blow. The talent is undeniably there. He just hasn't faced anything like a Brad Stevens coached defense. And he has absolutely no idea what to do with it. That's fair for a rookie.

But he still needs a shot to be able to neutralize that.

As for your trade, I don't like it for the Sixers either because Kyrie's injury history is starting to pile up. I wouldn't want to give up Simmons for him considering the age and also considering the assets that they'd be giving up in that deal.

Simmons without a shot the rest of his career is not terrible but definitely one dimensional. I was using hyperbole in response to the very well constructed “wtf” comment. ?

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

@RollEagles Unrealistic three team trade this off season that none of these teams would want to trade their guy, (right?):

Celtics get Lauri Markkanen, TJ McConnell

6ers get Kyrie Irving, Marcus Morris, 2018 Lakers 1st pick (2-5 overall) OR 2019 Sixers 1st pick conveyance back from Celtics and 2019 Clippers 1st pick conveyance

Bulls get Ben Simmons, Robert Covington

Then LeBron opts out of Cleveland and signs with Philly.

Irving/Fultz

Reddick/Belinelli

James/Saric

Morris/Ilyasova

Embiid/Johnson/Holmes

The Celtics are getting a horrible return in that trade.

15 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

He doesn't blow. The talent is undeniably there. He just hasn't faced anything like a Brad Stevens coached defense. And he has absolutely no idea what to do with it. That's fair for a rookie.

But he still needs a shot to be able to neutralize that.

As for your trade, I don't like it for the Sixers either because Kyrie's injury history is starting to pile up. I wouldn't want to give up Simmons for him considering the age and also considering the assets that they'd be giving up in that deal.

Who has been primarily guarding Simmons?

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I would say Horford followed by Morris. But also Tatum, Smart, and Brown a little. 

Interesting. Yea, I guess the Celtics are one of those teams that has enough size throughout their lineup to be able to put bigger guys on Simmons without leaving glaring mismatches elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The Celtics are getting a horrible return in that trade.

Who has been primarily guarding Simmons?

Take the picks out of it then.

Tatum and Simmons matched up in the fourth wuarter for a few minutes and Simmons got beat on defense. The only real success Simmons had on tbe night was when Larkin filled in for Marcus Smart in overtime. That should tell you Smart played Simmons a bit. Semi Ojeleye took Simmons for part of the second and third quarters. Horford zoned out a bit throughout the game to cover Simmons too. It seemed like I noticed Rozier covering him a bit too. I was so sour on Marcus Morris offensively during the game I didn't notice his defense which means he must have been okay.

To be honest though, I think Simmons takes himself out more than anyone else. Seems like he takes the ball up, calls out some stuff or sets up a play, moves to one side and then passes off only to basically disappear unless rebounding or finishing a loose bucket.

52 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Interesting. Yea, I guess the Celtics are one of those teams that has enough size throughout their lineup to be able to put bigger guys on Simmons without leaving glaring mismatches elsewhere.

nobody has been guarding him, they've been playing him like he's rondo in 2010 in the finals. there's no one within 5 feet of him in a halfcourt

4 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

nobody has been guarding him, they've been playing him like he's rondo in 2010 in the finals. there's no one within 5 feet of him in a halfcourt

Well, there's somebody guarding him. They're just sagging off. What I was going to get at is if they put smaller players on him, Simmons should try to play bully ball. If they put a bigger guy on him, he should try to use his athleticism to get around him, but if they're sagging off like that, it's going to be difficult. And the Celtics have enough big guys to get someone big on him. The only things I can think of for Simmons are embedding himself in the post and directing traffic from there (taking more of a facilitator role unless he's got a mismatch) or him using off the ball cuts to attack when they get bigger, slower defenders on him.

But yea, Stevens is definitely disrupting his game. He'll have to adjust.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well, there's somebody guarding him. They're just sagging off. What I was going to get at is if they put smaller players on him, Simmons should try to play bully ball. If they put a bigger guy on him, he should try to use his athleticism to get around him, but if they're sagging off like that, it's going to be difficult. And the Celtics have enough big guys to get someone big on him. The only things I can think of for Simmons are embedding himself in the post and directing traffic from there (taking more of a facilitator role unless he's got a mismatch) or him using off the ball cuts to attack when they get bigger, slower defenders on him.

But yea, Stevens is definitely disrupting his game. He'll have to adjust.

that would be tough given embiid's big *** is best used as a post player. i don't think brown wants embiid falling in love with his jumper more than he already does. Cs just aren't afraid of Simmons scoring in a halfcourt and it's making everything harder for the Sixers. I think they'll have to have a monster game in transition to win next game. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Tatum is just different. As refined of an offensive game on the perimeter for a 19 year old as I could remember.

Philly putting Larkin in the pick and rolls is allowing Simmons to get in the lane. Keep running it until Celtics adjust. 

Honestly, for a wing, I'm scouring my brain and I can't think of another rookie who has looked as good offensively as Tatum. Mitchell is very very very good as well but seems to rely on his athleticism more than any go to moves.

Tatum has no trouble breaking guys down and generally getting what he wants. For the last few months, I've caught myself rooting for them to give him the ball late in shot clocks. He's really impressive. Next year, when he's worked on playmaking, he's going to be very very very very nasty. 

8 hours ago, lancerman said:

Boston's just a better team.  If just Hayward were back we'd be talking about them having the best shot at upsetting the Warriors. Kyrie and Hayward back?

Nope.  If the Celtics were healthy, then I think they would have a good chance to make it to the Finals.  But beating the Warriors?  That's an entirely different monster.  A healthy Celtics team probably has the best chance out of any team, but that chance is still pretty low because the Warriors are that great.

Archived