what this draft means to ME

James Lofton

Well another one in the books. Realistically we have no idea as it will take several years to filter through the injuries, head cases, scheme fits, hard workers and talent.

But it does signify a few things to me:

1) We will need all of our edge guys to stay healthy (and honestly, when is the last time that happened?)

2) With some Janis closes drafted I guess we won't be resigning him. Or did he already sign with some other team?

3) I guess our punter and long snapper weren't working out - out with the old, in with the new

4) Most of the pressure is going to be scheme reliant - ugh

5) I'm going to hope the Saints tank.

5 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

Well another one in the books. Realistically we have no idea as it will take several years to filter through the injuries, head cases, scheme fits, hard workers and talent.

But it does signify a few things to me:

1) We will need all of our edge guys to stay healthy (and honestly, when is the last time that happened?)

2) With some Janis closes drafted I guess we won't be resigning him. Or did he already sign with some other team?

3) I guess our punter and long snapper weren't working out - out with the old, in with the new

1)  The secondary is now good enough to make the pass rush more effective.  

2)  Janis is long gone.

3)  Our punter was good, not great.  This new guy could be great.

4)  Far to early to doubt that Pettine can scheme a great pass rush.

5)  2 First round picks next year can easily be packaged for one good Edge next year.

8 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

-Says every team in the entire league. 

-Janis has been gone for awhile now. He signed with the Browns. 

-Didn't really have an LS although punter is probably the most head scratching picks in this draft. 

-Totally disagree on this. Clark, Daniels, Wilk, and Perry are all plus pass rushers and I think it could be argued that Matthews still has alot of value their as well. Could we have improved depth? Absolutely but your probably not getting much better depth then what we already have without passing up on Alexander and Jackson. 

-That goes without saying. 

What it (the draft) means to me...

Our GM will wheel and deal.  Love the trade to get the future first.

He isn't reaching for need.  Edge wasn't a value, neither was tight end.  Neither were over drafted.  

Perhaps Pettine wants to run some zone.  Both Alexander and Jackson are very effective in zone.  Maybe King can be as well?  

Special teams are important.  You don't draft a punter, long snapper, 3 WR's and a linebacker/safety in the draft without having an eye on them being special teamers.  That's a lot of athletic talent to draft that could bolster that unit.

16 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

1)  The secondary is now good enough to make the pass rush more effective.  

Here's what Peter King wrote about Cleveland taking CB Denzel Ward over DE Chubb.

My question to Dorsey on Friday morning: “If we gave Gregg Williams sodium pentathol right now, who would he have said he wanted with the fourth pick—Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb?” Dorsey pulled out his cell phone and rang Williams. I asked him the question. Williams: “Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” 

We've talked about how fast the ball comes out in other threads, this lends even more credence to those comments

Five hopes.

Hope and pray Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams and Jimmy Graham stay healthy. There really isn't anything behind those guys.

Hope Biegel flashes............or Gilbert

At other positions, the Packers can stand to lose the odd guy, so my big hope is no cluster-injuries, all at one position.

Hope one receiver can step up. Any one of Moore, Valdez-Scantling, St.Brown, Clark.

Hope Pettine is as good as advertised (I'm pretty confident on this one).

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

What it (the draft) means to me...

Our GM will wheel and deal.  Love the trade to get the future first.

He isn't reaching for need.  Edge wasn't a value, neither was tight end.  Neither were over drafted.  

Perhaps Pettine wants to run some zone.  Both Alexander and Jackson are very effective in zone.  Maybe King can be as well?  

Special teams are important.  You don't draft a punter, long snapper, 3 WR's and a linebacker/safety in the draft without having an eye on them being special teamers.  That's a lot of athletic talent to draft that could bolster that unit.

Nicely said, and a savvy observation!   Definitely a point not to be lost here when measuring this draft. 

GB covered all three primary components of a football team:  Offense; Defense, and; ST. 

Ron Wolf often said two of his biggest regrets were:

1. Passing on Randy Moss, and;

2. Letting Craig Hentrich leave.   

The Pack paid for those mistakes for a LONG time.   

If you watched Alabama, you had to realize Scott is special.  He can boom them when needed, pin a team inside the 20, kickoff, hold for FG's, and do it all with poise under the big lights. 

Gute is obviously a GM who understands the importance of recognizing, and creating value.  It was refreshing and fun to watch! 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's what Peter King wrote about Cleveland taking CB Denzel Ward over DE Chubb.

My question to Dorsey on Friday morning: “If we gave Gregg Williams sodium pentathol right now, who would he have said he wanted with the fourth pick—Denzel Ward or Bradley Chubb?” Dorsey pulled out his cell phone and rang Williams. I asked him the question. Williams: “Ward. The reason is our need for a press cover cornerback. Denzel probably plays that position as well as anyone I’ve seen in college football in some time. We probably play the most press of any team in the league. There’s another reason. I’ve got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out. Basically, we aren’t covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others—especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah—will get more chances because of Denzel.” 

We've talked about how fast the ball comes out in other threads, this lends even more credence to those comments

Three points:

1. Two steps in the NFL is an eternity. Chubb on the other side and the QB gets hit, often.

2. Drafting for need over ability is why Cleveland was 0-16 last year. 

3. The Packers weren't within 4 steps of the QB on far too many rush situations. WE have no Myles Garrett or anything close to it. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Three points:

1. Two steps in the NFL is an eternity. Chubb on the other side and the QB gets hit, often.

3. The Packers weren't within 4 steps of the QB on far too many rush situations. WE have no Myles Garrett or anything close to it. 

Reaching for need is how the Browns went 0-16 but you're advocating for reaching on a rusher.

14 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Three points:

The Packers were around the QB plenty.  They were middle of the pack in sacks.  The secondary was always out of position and only had 11 INTs on the year.  I still contend the improved secondary will result in more sacks and more INTs.  

4 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

The Packers were around the QB plenty.  They were middle of the pack in sacks.  The secondary was always out of position and only had 11 INTs on the year.  I still contend the improved secondary will result in more sacks and more INTs.  

Better secondary and if we can stay healthy and get more out of our backups we'll be gucci in the pass rush department. Matthews and Perry are still good guys, just don't know what we have behind them.

Welp,

1) The off-season was always going to be judged by whether Graham works out or not. Nothing else we've done carries a lot of consequence for this year. Wilkerson is a nice piece, potentially, and Alexander should see a lot of the field, too, but it's all about Graham.

2) You also have to pray the skill positions on offense and the LB's stay healthy. We're paper thin and feature groups who have never stayed healthy in the past.

3) Whenever there's a coordinator change, it's going to take a couple years to get the right fits. Seems like they got a couple pieces, but next year will feature a lot of changes again, I'm sure. All in all, good value, no reaches for need, and no way to know how things will play out with injuries.

4) The trade down-up was a beautiful thing. It's going to be very sweet next year when there's a LT, EDGE guy or WR in the mix because of those picks.

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Reaching for need is how the Browns went 0-16 but you're advocating for reaching on a rusher.

Not sure Davenport at 14 would have been considered a reach considering what NOLA gave up to get him. Plenty of teams had him rated where we picked. 

Archived