Terrell McClain has been released

ARTMONK HOF

56 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

At least they werent dopes about it and made them go through camp before the inevitable. How much do we save against the cap?

That’s sort of a complicated question, because of the change they made in his contract when they didn’t cut him a month or two ago. His 2018 base salary was set to become fully guaranteed if they kept him, but they agreed to make it an injury-only guarantee instead. That means they can cut him and drop all that salary off their cap number. They’ll still have to count the remaining pro-rated portions of his previously guaranteed money against the cap though. Keim seems to think that amount is $3.75M, so that would mean we save about $900k this year (and the full $12.5M in 2019 and 2020).

The other wrinkle is that we don’t seem to know yet if it’s going to be designated as a post-June 1 cut. That would allow us to take some of the dead cap hit in 2019, instead of all this year. But frankly, given that we have plenty cap space this year and that things may get a little tighter cap-wise next season, I’m not sure there’s much point in that. 

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That’s sort of a complicated question, because of the change they made in his contract when they didn’t cut him a month or two ago. His 2018 base salary was set to become fully guaranteed if they kept him, but they agreed to make it an injury-only guarantee instead. That means they can cut him and drop all that salary off their cap number. They’ll still have to count the remaining pro-rated portions of his previously guaranteed money against the cap though. Keim seems to think that amount is $3.75M, so that would mean we save about $900k this year (and the full $12.5M in 2019 and 2020).

The other wrinkle is that we don’t seem to know yet if it’s going to be designated as a post-June 1 cut. That would allow us to take some of the dead cap hit in 2019, instead of all this year. But frankly, given that we have plenty cap space this year and that things may get a little tighter cap-wise next season, I’m not sure there’s much point in that. 

Ya I would rather just take the cat hit this year.  FA is pretty much over, and we should have plenty to sign our draft picks.  Practically though, you can roll over unspent cap into next year, so I don't know that it makes much difference whether the cap hit is this year or next.  I guess having less of a hit next year would benefit the following more though so I'd still take the hit this year.  

Archived