Broncos @ Bears GDT: Preseason Week 1

broncosfan07

OK, with 10 minutes to go and both QB's out, some thoughts:

1.  Guys who stood out for good - Cody Latimer, Kasim Edebali, Orion Stewart.   Latimer really made a case for more reps on the 1st team as our slot guy.  Attacked the ball with hand catches, boxed defenders out.   Impressed.  Where has this been the last 3 years?   

2.  Guys who struggled - the OL pass blockers.   Gotsis & Kerr in run game.    Our kick and punt return coverage unit.  

3.   QB's - Siemian gets some flak for not taking chances...but Lynch gets flak in every mental facet of the game, and really showed some awful accuracy issues.   That's a terrible combo.   I get he gets to play with the 1st team next week - but anyone who says this is a close battle wasn't watching last year's game film, which today is really troubling because it showed the same gap and same issues.   Lynch's best-case scenario was being ready now, but his more-likely scenario is playing out - he needs more time, a 2nd redshirt year is certainly possible - not much progress was shown today, for all the positive things said at OTA's (which really reinforces that OTA's are just a mirage when it comes to simulating full game scrimmage play).   Barring a 180 turnaround of the most unlikely proportions, sure looks like Siemian is comfortably in the lead.

No matter the outcome, those are the 3 take-home messages.   Hopefully we see better OL play from the 1st-team, run D from our DE's, and better ST play next week.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I said it in the other forum that Sloter was the best QB on the team... I'm gonna ride that for a while. 

He sure looked like it. Great pass for a TD. I know that it's against backups, but a takeaway I had: Sloter can play under center. Lynch never did tonight (that I saw). 

Khalif Raymond is making a nice case to be our return guy.   Two REALLY strong returns - I don't know how Norwood hung on to the job as long as he did last year.   Likely rookie nerves, but man Carlos Henderson did not help himself today.

Again, this is against 3rd-stringers, but Sloter's 1st-and-20 conversion to Raymond is notable because the behavior leading to success is something I'm hoping to see from Lynch - specifically, with pressure when Sloter left the pocket, he kept his eyes up and located Raymond while extending the play - where Lynch put his eyes down with pressure.

Against 3rd-team D, can't get too caught up in seeing the 4Q success - but you'd like to see the actions that lead to success.   Watching Lynch next week vs. SF, he's going to have to show way better than today with pressure in keeping his eyes up,  be quicker in read progression, and way more accurate. 

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Carlos!!!

hey if they are going to hype Trubisky against third stringers we can be happy about Sloter!

I think that was D-Henderson.

Playing Trubisky against our 3rd stringers was smart on the coaches' end.   He has played well but he'd have been eaten alive by our 1H pass D.

Archived