Drafts over.. Dez maybe now??

10Manning10

I know they said they are not interested in his services .. pre-draft.. But consider this, we have SS, Odell and Evan as our key targets. Depth at this point is VERY light.  What would it hurt to give this guy his 1 yr prove it deal and come play for us. Reports were he turned down a multi-year offer from Baltimore. He's on a mission to inflict pain upon his former team and stay in the NFC East. I think it would be a good move for us. I think he's a passionate guy like how Odell is. The 2 of them would know how to feed off each other. 

Honestly I rather loathe the guy. But if he wants to come in here on a 1 year prove it deal and give max effort and is motivated to take it to the Boys then I'm down with that. As you said depth at WR isn't great and with the way they tend to rack up injuries at the receiving corps they could use him. Do they have the remaining cap room to sign him?

2 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Oh hell no. Odell can be enough of a headcase all by himself. The last thing we need is a hot headed Dez making Odell even worst.

I think Dez would be good for Odell. Dez has matured a bit, and it's always good to have mentors who have been on a similar path you've been on. Say what you want about Dez, but he's a football guy who always gives 100% effort on the field and has been clean off the field. 

Similar to the Marshall situation last year, the only way this works is if Dez comes in here knowing and accepting that he is NOT the guy. He'll be here to take heat of OBJ and Engram. That could be great for him, as it will be impossible to double team him. 

He been so good the Dallas Cowboys felt the need to have a manager with him all the time. And one of the reason why he was let go was because his sidelines outburst was seen as a negative given his level of production of late. 

Maybe you want the guy  whom his own mother said tried to kill her mentoring Odell. I highly doubt the Giants agree with you.

3 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

He been so good the Dallas Cowboys felt the need to have a manager with him all the time. And one of the reason why he was let go was because his sidelines outburst was seen as a negative given his level of production of late. 

Maybe you want the guy  whom his own mother said tried to kill her mentoring Odell. I highly doubt the Giants agree with you.

True. And I get the impression that Shurmur and Gettleman are trying, among other agendas, to divest themselves of questionable teammates, and most certainly not bring any new ones on board.

Furthermore, as noted, apart from Dez's personality troubles, his production fell off right after he made the big score on his contract; anyone imagining he's going to regain past glories now is pretty delusional.

Thus you have a guy older; slower; no longer as productive; high-priced, and with attitudinal problems, trying to join a team striving toward a more-stable locker-room and a unified team. Don't believe it's going to happen.

15 hours ago, bzane said:

True. And I get the impression that Shurmur and Gettleman are trying, among other agendas, to divest themselves of questionable teammates, and most certainly not bring any new ones on board.

Furthermore, as noted, apart from Dez's personality troubles, his production fell off right after he made the big score on his contract; anyone imagining he's going to regain past glories now is pretty delusional.

Thus you have a guy older; slower; no longer as productive; high-priced, and with attitudinal problems, trying to join a team striving toward a more-stable locker-room and a unified team. Don't believe it's going to happen.

Yeah, I would much rather have a young talented receiver than Dez. I wish we took Equanimeous St. Brown in the 5th round. He would've been a GREAT fit for our offense and amazing value at that point. But I personally believe Dez would be a solid fit at the right price. I understand we see it differently, which is fine.

This Giants offense will utilize three WR sets less than we’ve seen in previous years.  I expect a lot of two TE sets and even two RB sets judging from what Carolina and Minnesota have been doing the last few years.  It’s One more reason to not bring in Dez.  

1 hour ago, w4rrior723 said:

Yeah, I would much rather have a young talented receiver than Dez. I wish we took Equanimeous St. Brown in the 5th round

@w4rrior723 Agreed. Plus, my gosh, think of the fun we all could have had with that name!!

Familiarize yourself with this name: Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown. 

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

This Giants offense will utilize three WR sets less than we’ve seen in previous years.  I expect a lot of two TE sets and even two RB sets judging from what Carolina and Minnesota have been doing the last few years.  It’s One more reason to not bring in Dez.  

I think that is the main reason we aren't bringing in Dez. Ive been watching 2017 Vikings tape just to get an idea of the offense Shurmur runs. Lots of 12, lots of 21. Shane Smith is going to get a chance to be a big part of the offense, unless we signed Stewart to be that fullback-type player. Ellison will get a lot of snaps as well, and he is way better than whoever that long haired guy they had playing #2 TE in Minny last year. Notice I haven't said anything about 11 personnel, and that's because Shurmur rarely utilizes it. Here are the stats last year of Thielen and Diggs, their top 2 WRs:

Thielen: 91 receptions, 1276 yards, 4 TDs

Diggs: 64 receptions, 849 yards, 8 TDs

Here are the receiving stats for their TE Rudolph and 3rd down back Jerick Mckinnon:

Rudolph: 57 receptions, 532 yards, 8 TDs

Mckinnon: 51 receptions, 421 yards, 2 TDs

And here are the stats of their 3rd WR, Jarius Wright: 

Wright: 18 receptions, 198 yards, 2 TDs

Maybe he got phased out by Treadwell?

Treadwell: 20 receptions, 200 yards, 0 TDs

Even when these extra receivers were on the field, they weren't used. The 3rd receving option in a Shurmur offense is the TE. It just so happens we have a very good receiving TE. The close 4th option is the RB. It just so happens we just drafted a very good pass catching RB. 

Not only is Dez a potential distraction, but the 3rd WR is worth dirt in this offense. It's the reason we cut Marshall, and didn't draft one, and the only one we signed has excellent ST value. OBJ and Shepard are going to steal the show and I'm all for it. Give the ball to your best players. 

Also, we need to get ready for smash mouth Giants football to come back. Shurmur and the Vikings ran the ball last year more than every other team besides the Bills and the Jaguars. Saquon will undoubtedly get the lion's share of carries and 3rd down work, but Stewart and Gallman will get work as well. Gallman as the spell back who comes in when Saquon needs a breather (which is honestly the perfect role for Gallman. He runs crazy hard.) And Stewart as the short yardage, goal line back. Expect Stewart to be the archenemy of every fantasy football player who owns Saquon this year. 

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Listen I am more concerned about Dez as a receiver then him from a character standpoint because that’s vastly overstated. 

You guys really need to stop buying into this media narratives. 

I normally agree with you. But the dude knocked his own mother out. 

Archived