The 53: Player, Roster, & Acquisitions Talk

Mind Character

19 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think there is a point where dudes are just too old. Especially guys who are not special athletes. Frostee and Rubin are average to above average guys in their prime. Not assuming anyone here but if we though Rubin was good, it was probably because for the most part he was beside bad. He was an average player with a great motor imo. 

A great motor turns an average player into at least a good player. Rubin was good because of that. He didn't get after the QB much but he was good at stopping the run and making tackles behind or in front of the LOS. That said, I think his motor is about out of gas. Frostee wasn't even much above average if at all and probably just takes up space at this point in his career.

We had some pretty good defenses with Rubin. Led the league in yards per rush against a couple times, fewest yards per play at least once and I it may have been twice, we just didn't have anything on offense minus the Hillis year that could win us games. Rubin came into the league when we had the bad Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn and all that terribleness. With a top 15 offense during Rubin's time here we make the playoffs most years. Not that it was all him, Haden/Ward/Taylor/Sheard/DQ/Robertson/Gipson etc... made up some good defenses, they may have been overshadowed in our division alone but definitely a top 10 defense most years and multiple top 5 going by yards. Our offense did them no favors. Switching to and from a 3-4 and 4-3 every other year didn't help either.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, Kiwibrown said:

Here is a lol

The raiders have signed two former Browns DL. Frostee Rucker and Ahtyba Rubin. They both played here in 2012 (Frostee's only season here) wRubin played here from 2008-2014.

I loved Rubin he was a solid NT. 

But damn, these guys are too old and average to still be in the league. 

They are being brought in to mentor PJ Hall and Hurst, both Rucker and Rubin were really good at stopping the run and even Rucker to the date is still good at it. Nothing more IMO

Just now, candyman93 said:

Just thinking, Damian Ratley might get put on the practice squad and Rashard Higgins might make the final 53 just because of his experience.

Certainly possible, but Higgins is gonna need to step it up. Haven’t seen much from him yet.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Certainly possible, but Higgins is gonna need to step it up. Haven’t seen much from him yet.

I’d like to also stash guys like Matthew Dayes, Trenton Thompson, and other UDFAs. Not sure how many players we can put on the PS.

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’d like to also stash guys like Matthew Dayes, Trenton Thompson, and other UDFAs. Not sure how many players we can put on the PS.

I’d like to keep Dayes as a special teamer. He is the best kr we have had in a while. He was better than Peppers last year. 

I dont eant Peppers bear the return game. He didn’t look that good, and generally I don’t want starters doing returns. 

The d love to see Galloway as a pr/kr also.

23 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just thinking, Damian Ratley might get put on the practice squad and Rashard Higgins might make the final 53 just because of his experience.

The only experience Higgins has is not being able to get much playing time in an awful WR corps - I can't imagine him making the final 53

Browns sign underachieving OT Greg Robinson.

Camp body, depth backup, or possible starter?

My guess is they aren’t thrilled with their LT position and think he’s worth a shot. Think any of the above options is possible.  I think they’re also identifying that Corbett can’t play LT and is an interior backup this year.

33 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Browns sign underachieving OT Greg Robinson.

Camp body, depth backup, or possible starter?

My guess is they aren’t thrilled with their LT position and think he’s worth a shot. Think any of the above options is possible.  I think they’re also identifying that Corbett can’t play LT and is an interior backup this year.

I think it’s always a great signing bring in a guy who was a top5 pick and is only 25yrs old for cheap.  I think the dude is talented but hasn’t been able to put his game together. 

Maybe he can be comfortable here in Cleveland playing with a former teammate in Coleman and getting to work with JT a little bit. 

This is a great signing, I just hope it works out!

Archived