The 53: Player, Roster, & Acquisitions Talk

Mind Character

On 4/30/2018 at 4:41 PM, Kiwibrown said:

Brantley and Larry are both 3texhs aren’t they?

Both can play both tbh. Ogunjobi and Brantley both played NT in college way more than they played 3T. I had Brantley as the steal of the draft last year and think he takes a big leap this season. He's a very good interior pass rusher. I question his effort/conditioning more than I question his talent. He is/was a better player than Taven Bryan IMO.

50 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Both can play both tbh. Ogunjobi and Brantley both played NT in college way more than they played 3T. I had Brantley as the steal of the draft last year and think he takes a big leap this season. He's a very good interior pass rusher. I question his effort/conditioning more than I question his talent. He is/was a better player than Taven Bryan IMO.

Man, I love the way you think. I was thinking the same thing, I think we take Brantley for granted here. And there is a reason we didn't overhaul our DT room, I would love to see Brantley for 16 games, I could see 7 sacks from him. In his first extensive action, and honestly I could see the same from Ogunjobi, he's going to be a problem for a whole game. We do have to get someone reliable for spot action besides Meder though 

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

We do have to get someone reliable for spot action besides Meder though 

Yup. There are usually some pretty good veteran DT's cut after the draft season. I wouldn't mind another stop-gap veteran to hold us over for a year until we can go get a stud in 2019.

If Baker and Corbett look like "hits" based on their play and/or behind the scenes development, I see no reason to not mortgage picks and try to go get Ed Oliver next year.

47 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I see no reason to not mortgage picks and try to go get Ed Oliver next year.

Yep, depending on who doesn't look like future studs at DT or maybe at DE if Ogbah is less than stellar (which I don't anticipate)

Ogunjobi is not an  NFL NT... he's a true 3-tech with berserker/quick linear pocket disruption... Brantley is a NT with 3-tech versatility but his game is more pressing his man and holding for a run stop or slow shedding or a quick swimming to disrupt the passing game... they can both be upgraded upon with more athletic, fluid movers who have more advanced hand to hand combat technique..

I think both can be good and have longterm impact, but we have to try to come out of next year's draft with one of the star interior rushers.. we won't suck enough to get Oliver, Raekwon Davis, or Rashan Gary... but I'm hoping we could be in the range for a Jeffrey Simmons type... if so, it could be a game changer...

13 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Ogunjobi is not an  NFL NT... he's a true 3-tech with berserker/quick linear pocket disruption... Brantley is a NT with 3-tech versatility but his game is more pressing his man and holding for a run stop or slow shedding or a quick swimming to disrupt the passing game... they can both be upgraded upon with more athletic, fluid movers who have more advanced hand to hand combat technique..

I think both can be good and have longterm impact, but we have to try to come out of next year's draft with one of the star interior rushers.. we won't suck enough to get Oliver, Raekwon Davis, or Rashan Gary... but I'm hoping we could be in the range for a Jeffrey Simmons type... if so, it could be a game changer...

Meh, we have something here in these guys, the FO knows it, enough to get rid of Shelton, not go for a big time FA and not use a high draft pick on a DT. As far both, they are both unique guys where they can fit the mold of both 3-tech and 1-Tech (I think we rarely use a NT/0-Technique in our defense). I think they will use this year to determine whether its long term or not, but based off their flashes they are really talented.

As far as the 2019 DTs, they all can't go at the top, there will be some really nice players where we pick plus we already know QB needy teams will push down a lot of stud players. We very well could have a guy like Davis there for us if we decide to take one or even close enough to make a reasonable trade up for Oliver. This QB class will be the key,

On 4/30/2018 at 1:33 PM, Mind Character said:

What the Roster Is Vs. Isn't: I expect this team to be a 5-6 win team...

Roster Weakness/Question Marks: DT/NT: TE: LT/OL: FS: DE:

General: Completely agree that this is a 4-ish win team given our schedule and how far removed we are from "winning". I do not see an 8-win upside as there's a learning curve..I do see the possibility of a 3-3 finish after the BYE.

Roster:

• OT depth is the OL concern, but as long as we're healthy there, then I think our starter play will be at least adequate.
  • WR concern is that we are a "party" away from listing our new slot as our #1.
  • TE... I think we will miss Telfer... I'm not feeling the move to Fells.
  • I see Chad Thomas in our DT rotation behind Ogun at the 3-tech with Coley and Brantley in the 0/1.
  • FS... two years in a row it's not addressed in the draft.
  • ... which leaves LB, a concern of mine coming into a thin draft at the position.

I loved the Avery pick up. He was one of my D-side sleepers. While I think he has the physical tools to play either inside or outside, my hope is that Williams picks one and works him only there to develop his reads. I think this slots him behind Kirksey even tho he'd push Schobert harder. Kirk has the experience to back up Schobert should that be required. Burgess should only be better backing up Collins after seeing a lot of PT last season.

If Harrison can put the work in and keep his head.... he has the movement ability, play nastiness, and strength to be a multiple year pro bowler...

Here's to hoping he can be the guy..

One thing is certain imo...  Rod Johnson is not making this team... one of the worst picks last year as he had some of the worse balance I've seen (those that read my pre and post draft profile on him know my gripes with the player although he's a great person reportedly)...

Between Coleman, Corbett, Hubbard, and Harrison.... we'll find a solid LT option for the year hopefully....

2 players on the roster that reportedly failed the NFL Combine weed test aka the idiot test aka the "I really can't stop smoking the evil one's lettuce even for millions and millions of dollars...I have a serious problem of self control and thoughtfulness"....

1. Antonio Callaway

2. Desmond Harrison

Let's hope they can at least do the lettuce in a smart way like those in the NFL who make sure they're not in trouble with the NFL testing policy...

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

2 players on the roster that reportedly failed the NFL Combine weed test aka the idiot test aka the "I really can't stop smoking the evil one's lettuce even for millions and millions of dollars...I have a serious problem of self control and thoughtfulness"....

1. Antonio Callaway

2. Desmond Harrison

Let's hope they can at least do the lettuce in a smart way like those in the NFL who make sure they're not in trouble with the NFL testing policy...

I don’t think smoking weed is a good decision. 

But I do think people should be able to smoke and play.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I really hope the o-line gets situated. I’d love to focus on building the defense going forward similar to how Minnesota has.

Right now, I'd love to have 2 of the following 4 position groups ABSOLUTELY SET going forward (aside from QB obviously):

*WR

*OL

*DT

*DB

If you told me that 2 of those 4 groups were VERY legit and that we had our legit QBOTF in Mayfield, I'd be absolutely pumped.

What happens if kindred is better than peppers? What do we do with peppers? He can’t play corner. He can’t play FS. We have 2 high priced LBs and a pro bowler so we don’t have room for him there. Maybe try him at RB? Returner? Although callaway and Berry might take that job. 

8 hours ago, Mind Character said:

If Harrison can put the work in and keep his head.... he has the movement ability, play nastiness, and strength to be a multiple year pro bowler...

Here's to hoping he can be the guy..

One thing is certain imo...  Rod Johnson is not making this team... one of the worst picks last year as he had some of the worse balance I've seen (those that read my pre and post draft profile on him know my gripes with the player although he's a great person reportedly)...

Between Coleman, Corbett, Hubbard, and Harrison.... we'll find a solid LT option for the year hopefully....

@Rod Johnson, watch your back, my friend.

26 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

What happens if kindred is better than peppers? What do we do with peppers? He can’t play corner. He can’t play FS. We have 2 high priced LBs and a pro bowler so we don’t have room for him there. Maybe try him at RB? Returner? Although callaway and Berry might take that job. 

Trade him I suppose.

Or play some big nickel.

Archived