32 minutes ago, brownie man said:

man idk 

Landry

Coleman

Callaway

Higgins

Janis

Ratley

thats not even counting JG I'll pass on Matthews right now unless an injury happens 

I hear you... and We certainly will have some tough roster decisions to make...

But.. consider this...

On Janis: Just remember on a team with arguably one of the best QBs of all time (Aaron Rodgers) and multiple injuries to key WRs (Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, Devantae Adams)... Jeff Janis NEVER had a season where he had more than 93 receiving yards... and in 4 seasons he has 1 total career receiving TD.https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JaniJe00.htm

Janis is a gunner on special teams with upside to moonlight as a number 2 or 3 WR... that's it...

Sometimes rosters can afford to give 53 spot to a core special teams player that's a WR... in the case of availabiltity/reliablity and talent/impact concerns of a team like ours I don't think we can... instead we stack the position with as much talent as possible and use extra DBs as gunners on special teams.

On Higgins: He is not Real as a WR1 or WR2 starter impact player.... he's what's called a Training Camp Phantom... in college they call them Spring Game All Stars.... b/c of his athletic limitations he'll always be a just a solid WR3 or WR4 at best imo based on his college and pro film to date.

--------

Comparing Higgins to Jordan Matthews even on college film let alone pro production makes the decision not even close.

Jordan Matthews when healthy has and is an effective WR1 and WR2... although his talents are best served as a WR2.

You can find Higgins types everywhere in the league. If you watch Matthews film, you'll see he's a superior player to Higgins by a long shot.

You can't make roster decisions as if JG will be reliable or available...

Bring Matthews in .. hope he gets healthy soon and see what cream rises to the top...

I'll guarantee Landry, Coleman, Ratley, Callaway make the roster... that's 4

Janis, Higgins, Matthews, JG (suspension)... might not make the 53... that 4...

Out of the latter 4, Matthews and JG have the most talent... so I'd rock with them to make 6 WRs... if we could do some roster juking I'd keep Janis or Higgins.

That means the final 6 WRs would be: 1. JG, 2. Landry, 3. Coleman, 4. Matthews, 5. Callaway, 6. Ratley... Practice Squad WR1: Derrick Willes

....Where do I sign for that... that line up allows the rookies to sit back and learn, get spot duty or have to fill in a major rule if injury should arise.. If something unfortante happens with JG or Coleman... Matthews can step in as a bonafide starter and keep us pushing in a real winning season race..

----------------------

Again, teams as a principle of roster building stack heavy numbers in position groups that have injury, availability, reliability, or talent/impact concerns... we've carried 10 OL in the past some teams carry 11 (over 70% (22 teams) of the NFL carries 10 OLs for this reason)...

When it comes to WRs...  76% (24 teams) of the league goes with 6 WRs at the initial 53... 3 teams went with 7 WRs  at the initial 53 cut.

Given our tough roster cuts...we might roster juke and carry JG on the suspension list the first few weeks as our 7th WR....

I think ultimately we carry 6 on the active 53 with Derrik Willies being our go to Practice Squad guy.

16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I don't care if Jordan Matthews has a hurt hamstring and can't practice....Bring in Jordan Matthews .... I wanted us to sign him all along... He's an elite worker... student of the game and elite route runner... he has concentration drop issues and injury concerns but he's a great teammate and leader....

He's the perfect fit for our roster... and we could sign him to such a low salary cap number that he may be the best bargain WR in the NFL come mid season...

This report turned out to be false. Patriots have placed Jordan Matthews on IR.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9420/jordan-matthews

4 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

This report turned out to be false. Patriots have placed Jordan Matthews on IR.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9420/jordan-matthews

Thanks for the update... crazy how the whole NFL news reporting community whiffed on this one...

Didn't realize he was that injured...

Just saw Brandon Lafell released... he's not the WR we need... unless someone else comes available... it might be best to move ahead with what we have until we get a clear upgrade option...

@Mind Character

I'm going to copy yours and throw mines in based off what we've heard so far

Offense (27)

Quarterbacks (3):

QB: Tyrod Taylor // Baker Mayfield // Drew Stanton

------------

Running Backs (3):

RB: Carlos Hyde // Nick Chubb // Duke Johnson // Practice Squad: Matthew Dayes

------------

Fullback (1):

FB: Danny Vitale;

------------

Wide Receivers (6):

WR1: Corey Coleman // Antonio Callaway

WR2: Rashard Higgins // Jeff Janis // Damion Ratley

Slot-WR: Jarvis Landry // (Duke Johnson)

*Gordon doesn't come back to the team 

------------

Tight Ends (3):

TE: David Njoku // Daniel Fells // Seth DeValve

------------

Offensive Linemen (9):

LT: Joel Bitonio // Desmond Harrison

LG: Austin Corbett // Spencer Drango

C: J.C. Tretter // Austin Reiter

RG: Kevin Zeitler 

RT: Chris Hubbard // Shon Coleman

-------------------------

Defense (23)

Defensive linemen (10):

DE: Myles Garrett // Chris Smith // Nate Orchard

NT: Trevon Coley // Jamie Meder

DT: Larry Ogunjobi // Caleb Brantley

DE: Emmanuel Ogbah // Chad Thomas // Carl Nassib

------------

Linebackers (5):

SLB: Christian Kirksey 

MLB: Joe Schobert // Mychal Kendricks 

WLB: Jamie Collins Sr. // Genard Avery 

------------

Corner Backs (6):

CB: Denzel Ward // Simeon Thomas 

CB: Terrance Mitchel // E.J. Gaines  

NCB: Briean Boddy-Calhoun // TJ Carrie

------------

Free Safeties (2):

FS: Damarious Randall // Elijah Campbell // (Briean Boddy-Calhoun)

------------

Strong Safeties (2):

SS: Jabrill Peppers // Derrick Kindred

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Mind Character what makes Ratley better than a Higgins or Janis?

It’s as if you’re using a lack of known ability as a positive.

IMO... Play Trait/Ability Displayed on the Football Field Via Film (College/Pro)

Deep Play, Burst Quickness, Acceleration: Ratley>Janis>Higgins...

Ability to Get Off the Press: Janis>Higgins>Ratley

Deep Ball Tracking: Ratley>Janis>Higgins

Intermediate Route Running: Higgins>Ratley>Janis

Special Teams Toughness/Ability: Janis>Ratley>Higgins

Natural Hands Catching Ability: Higgins>Ratley>Janis

High Point, Jump Ball Instincts & Ability: Janis>Ratley>Higgins

Ability to Stack & Seperate from a Defender: Ratley>Janis>Higgins

I watched them all and liked them all coming out of college... as college prospects... Ratley is the superior player in terms of what's required in the pros... followed by Janis then Higgins...

8 hours ago, Mind Character said:

IMO... Play Trait/Ability Displayed on the Football Field Via Film (College/Pro)

Deep Play, Burst Quickness, Acceleration: Ratley>Janis>Higgins...

Ability to Get Off the Press: Janis>Higgins>Ratley

Deep Ball Tracking: Ratley>Janis>Higgins

Intermediate Route Running: Higgins>Ratley>Janis

Special Teams Toughness/Ability: Janis>Ratley>Higgins

Natural Hands Catching Ability: Higgins>Ratley>Janis

High Point, Jump Ball Instincts & Ability: Janis>Ratley>Higgins

Ability to Stack & Seperate from a Defender: Ratley>Janis>Higgins

I watched them all and liked them all coming out of college... as college prospects... Ratley is the superior player in terms of what's required in the pros... followed by Janis then Higgins...

I’m on the Ratley bandwagon. Super raw but there’s a ton to work with. I admittedly didn’t watch him a lick until we drafted him. Limited film on him, justifiably so, but he’s got plus raw talent. 

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

The 11th man has been done to death but we should start a 54th man club.

Doesn’t the 11th guy actually play though?

You must have meant 12th man.

No worries, after not being able to see Peppers all last season it’s an easy mistake to think you only play with 10 guys.

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Doesn’t the 11th guy actually play though?

You must have meant 12th man.

No worries, after not being able to see Peppers all last season it’s an easy mistake to think you only play with 10 guys.

We were so good that we only needed 10. Leveling the field.

Archived