J.J. Wilcox Released

steelcurtain29

11 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

Really hoping they use this money to sign another quality ILB (have a feeling they won't though).  That will partially lessen the sting of avoiding the position in the draft

This was more about the cap space to sign the picks rather than to sign someone else IMO.

Dangerfield and Nat Behre are here for Special Teams.  The Starters imo will initially be Morgan Burnett and Sean Davis imo, but it won't be long before it's Morgan Burnett and Terrell Edmunds.

I believe Marcus Allen will be converted to LB.  I think if Thomas has a shot to make the roster and they do in fact convert Allen, that Tyler could be cut.  Also think Fitzgerald Touissant will lose his roster spot to Samuels.

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

Morgan Burnett
Sean Davis
Terrell Edmunds
Marcus Alken
Jordan Dangerfield
Nat Berhe

quite a secondary overhaul. Do you think this will be better than what we had? I would say so, but what's your opinion

I think it's better than what we That , by a lot.  Golden was never going to be anything but a backup and Mitchell was a liability in coverage.  We had no one that could effectively cover a TE.   We have improved our ability against the run and our ability to cover TE's, in theory at least.  

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

quite a secondary overhaul. Do you think this will be better than what we had? I would say so, but what's your opinion

I certainly think the safety position overall is much, much better. Burnett should really be a great, stabilizing addition. Less mistakes than Mitchell.
I think Edmunds and Allen will be really good players and I haven't given up on Davis either. So at a minimum, we have solid starters and better depth.
If they're better, the entire secondary will be.

I am curious about CB. I'm not convinced by Burns as a starter. I like Haden and Hilton and Sutton are at least solid, with a chance
to be real finds. B.Allen is the wild card, so we'll see how much he's developed. I'm intrigued by both the UDFAs J.Summers (outside) and T.Johnson (slot) too.
So again, I think there's solid depth here, just maybe no real, true star.

Overall, my guess is this entire unit is greatly improved.

4 hours ago, mwalker said:

I am curious about CB. I'm not convinced by Burns as a starter. I like Haden and Hilton and Sutton are at least solid, with a chance
to be real finds. B.Allen is the wild card, so we'll see how much he's developed. I'm intrigued by both the UDFAs J.Summers (outside) and T.Johnson (slot) too.
So again, I think there's solid depth here, just maybe no real, true star.

Overall, my guess is this entire unit is greatly improved.

With burns being a RD1 pick, I doubt he gets replaced unless he continuously fails. Once he gets into tomlinson doghouse, we know it's over but will he. I think tomlin has patience, more than i do, but many of the mistakes last year might not have been burns, but mitchell.  If not, and it was burns, this could be it for burns. I can't see tomlin letting the D slide especially if the CB is obviously failing and we have players that could replace him.  I don't like the value of RD1 pick I have seen with burns, he plays more like RD5 pick. Lets see if Allen or Sutton play well when they get a chance. There is new blood in the secondary, it's about time.  

The pass rush needs to be better, with the weak link being dupree. If these new DB' are better and the pass rush gets there , the D could be respectable. I still see teams running on us when we play certain fronts, a reason I would prefer Heyward full-time LDE, much better vs the run and better rushing the passer than dupree. But again, they want to get the value out of THEIR RD1 pick in dupree. 

Archived