37 of 106 underclassmen go undrafted in 2018

Broncofan

Sure some were surprise guys to be not be drafted that declared...

A lot of these guys had no business declaring though

*Trenton Thompson DT, Georgia - Good talent and tons of upside but was not great this past year and was out played by more than a few of his teammates, could have been a higher pick coming back but probably feared injury again.

*Kevin Toliver, DB LSU - Had a ok year but way more upside and would probably be projected as a 1st rounder next year based on the CB class for next season and his potential.  

*Kyle Allen, QB, Houston - Obviously never succeeded in college, sadly would he have been better off staying with his "arm talent" maybe not but still no surprise he was not picked

*Toby Weathersby T, LSU - Way too early, way too raw and no surprise he was not picked after how he played this past year.

*Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh - Big time return talent but had a really poor year I thought, very odd he came out after not playing up to expectations.  

*JoJo Wicker DE, Arizona State - Ok talent but in no way is ready for the league, would have been a lot more interesting prospect next year

*Eddy Wilson DT, Purdue - Had a great year this past season, could have built off it but did not.

*Kamryn Pettway RB, Auburn - Had a terrible year because of the injury, was a tank the year before, but like most running backs come out early fearing future injury.  

...and some barely even did anything at college anyway, noted below, many of them I had no idea they even played on those teams.  

Courtel Jenkins, DT, Miami

Du'Vonta Lampkin, DT, Oklahoma

Tavares Martin, WR, Washington State

Travonte Valentine, NT, LSU

Chris Warren RB, Texas

Austin Roberts, TE, UCLA

Jalen Wilkerson, DE, Florida State

Dwayne Orso-Bacchus, T, Oklahoma

Doubt it stops, seems to get worse every year but not like they can change the rule and say you can declare and if you go undrafted or signed you can come back to school.  Then ever single eligible college football player would declare every year who is eligible....  

1989: 25 underclassmen declared

1998: 41 underclassmen declared

2008: 53 underclassmen declared 

2012: 68 underclassmen declared

2018: 106 underclassmen declared

...it is getting worse obviously.  

First, you have to subtract the # not drafted by those who would be ineligible to play next year, to come to a true picture. Second if you have talent, you are going to be drafted or at the worst case scenario, get a shot as an UDFA, players who occasionally make a team or at least a practice squad. So you are still miles ahead of the game without risking injury.

So, I can only see the #'s increasing as college players realize, why take the risk of injuries while playing for peanuts and using up your body.  Plus, around 37% of them will never graduate anyways!!!!

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sure some were surprise guys to be not be drafted that declared...

A lot of these guys had no business declaring though

*Trenton Thompson DT, Georgia - Good talent and tons of upside but was not great this past year and was out played by more than a few of his teammates, could have been a higher pick coming back but probably feared injury again.

*Kevin Toliver, DB LSU - Had a ok year but way more upside and would probably be projected as a 1st rounder next year based on the CB class for next season and his potential.  

*Kyle Allen, QB, Houston - Obviously never succeeded in college, sadly would he have been better off staying with his "arm talent" maybe not but still no surprise he was not picked

*Toby Weathersby T, LSU - Way too early, way too raw and no surprise he was not picked after how he played this past year.

*Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh - Big time return talent but had a really poor year I thought, very odd he came out after not playing up to expectations.  

*JoJo Wicker DE, Arizona State - Ok talent but in no way is ready for the league, would have been a lot more interesting prospect next year

*Eddy Wilson DT, Purdue - Had a great year this past season, could have built off it but did not.

*Kamryn Pettway RB, Auburn - Had a terrible year because of the injury, was a tank the year before, but like most running backs come out early fearing future injury.  

...and some barely even did anything at college anyway, noted below, many of them I had no idea they even played on those teams.  

Courtel Jenkins, DT, Miami

Du'Vonta Lampkin, DT, Oklahoma

Travonte Valentine, NT, LSU

Chris Warren RB, Texas

Austin Roberts, TE, UCLA

Jalen Wilkerson, DE, Florida State

Dwayne Orso-Bacchus, T, Oklahoma

Doubt it stops, seems to get worse every year but not like they can change the rule and say you can declare and if you go undrafted or signed you can come back to school.  Then ever single eligible college football player would declare every year who is eligible....  

1989: 25 underclassmen declared

1998: 41 underclassmen declared

2008: 53 underclassmen declared 

2012: 68 underclassmen declared

2018: 106 underclassmen declared

...it is getting worse obviously.  

Thankfully!!!

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Most of the names on the list you had before are excusable, but you didn't know who Tavares Martin was? Despite missing two games, he led the PAC-12 in receptions per game and tied the league lead in receiving TD's. Plus, the dude grabbed headlines for being kicked off the team and then obviously didn't prepare whatsoever for the Draft because he still got invited to the Combine yet ran a 4.8.

Damn Ozzy, I thought you watched more football than any of us xD

7 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Most of the names on the list you had before are excusable, but you didn't know who Tavares Martin was? Despite missing two games, he led the PAC-12 in receptions per game and tied the league lead in receiving TD's. Plus, the dude grabbed headlines for being kicked off the team and then obviously didn't prepare whatsoever for the Draft because he still got invited to the Combine yet ran a 4.8.

Damn Ozzy, I thought you watched more football than any of us xD

I very vaguely knew who he was, just thought he was a non prospect as well and not worth paying attention to.  So yes some I know of and saw play, others I did not like Courtel Jenkins, DT, Miami, Travonte Valentine, NT, LSU, Jalen Wilkerson, DE, Florida State and Dwayne Orso-Bacchus, T, Oklahoma, I honestly had no idea who they even were and never noticed them watching their college teams play.  Chris Warren had tons of potential and a good bloodline but never accomplished much in college at all, very odd he came out, Austin Roberts was talented but not way ready for the NFL and Lampkin did nothing to merit being drafted in terms of his on the field play.

20 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

At the end of the day, it's 37 people, and most all of them will get a camp shot. Not a big deal. They're all adults. That's life.

Oh i agree, no reason to feel sorry for them. It's more the feeling of what a missed opportunity: enjoy another year playing college, finish a degree and maybe improve as a player and actually get drafted vs. likely sitting at home in september.

And there will be a couple kids in this group of 37 players that had no reason to declare but simply don't have the capabilities to understand that, which would not be a problem if they didnt have a bunch of knuckleheads familymembers and friends 'advising' them.

The main thing is the ones who are not getting the first 3 round grade, should not hire an agent.  That way they have the option to go back to school.  I had wondered for a while if Lamar didnt hire an agent to hedge against not going in the first round.

Archived