49ers will pick up fifth-year option on DL Arik Armstead. No fifth-year option for G Laken Tomlinson

49erurtaza

Wow on Arik. It's possible we should have pulled a basketball trade and gotten next to nothing in a trade just to unload his salary. For that kind of money we could buy a guy that would help us a whole lot more. Not nearly a Jenkins pick. But also not nearly the value you'd want out of a pick that high.

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Wow on Arik. It's possible we should have pulled a basketball trade and gotten next to nothing in a trade just to unload his salary. For that kind of money we could buy a guy that would help us a whole lot more. Not nearly a Jenkins pick. But also not nearly the value you'd want out of a pick that high.

It really comes down to the money. We have it, it's not problematic, so may as well give it a shot. I don't really expect much, and to be honest, he'll probably get hurt this year and thus guaranteeing the fifth year option (it's only guaranteed for injury until the new league year), but it doesn't hinder us at all. I don't mind it, I just don't think that it'll yield much fruit. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It really comes down to the money. We have it, it's not problematic, so may as well give it a shot. I don't really expect much, and to be honest, he'll probably get hurt this year and thus guaranteeing the fifth year option (it's only guaranteed for injury until the new league year), but it doesn't hinder us at all. I don't mind it, I just don't think that it'll yield much fruit. 

Funny on the injury thing. As for the rest, I don't know. We have the money. The question is whether he is the best way to use it or not.

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Funny on the injury thing. As for the rest, I don't know. We have the money. The question is whether he is the best way to use it or not.

It's definitely not, but we have about 45 Million in cap space this year left over, plus about 50 million next year, so we will have about 100 million in space altogether. We aren't going to spend all that, so it doesn't really matter. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

It's definitely not, but we have about 45 Million in cap space this year left over, plus about 50 million next year, so we will have about 100 million in space altogether. We aren't going to spend all that, so it doesn't really matter. 

Have to admit I really know next to nothing about the cap, especially how unused money rolls over. If we don't spend the money on him next year, and don't find a FA that we want to spend it on, does it roll over to the follwoing year? If it doesn't then it doesn't matter and we might as well spend it on him. But if we can spend the money some time in the future then I'm back to thinking thre must be someone better to spend it on.

5 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

FWIW, this guarantees his salary for injury only (so still a big risk considering the player). We can rescind the 5th year option before the next league year begins.

Pretty much. That's kind of how we got stuck with Ward, but nobody is really going to complain about with either

On 5/1/2018 at 3:38 AM, y2lamanaki said:

FWIW, this guarantees his salary for injury only (so still a big risk considering the player). We can rescind the 5th year option before the next league year begins.

When does next league year begin?

G Laken Tomlinson

Why his option wasn't picked up: Simply put, the cost of the fifth-year option outweighs his production. The fifth-year formula doesn't separate positions on the offensive line, meaning Tomlinson is lumped in with tackles and centers, as well, which means his fifth-year option price tag would approach $10 million.

What he needs to do to get a second contract: Tomlinson didn't join the Niners until just before last season, and he struggled adjusting to their scheme early before a strong finish. With a full offseason at his disposal, the 49ers believe he can improve, and general manager John Lynch already has said discussions have begun to retain Tomlinson at a more palatable price tag.

This was a quote from ESPN regarding the decision to pick up / decline fifth year options. I thought the italicized was interesting because I hadn't heard Lynch say that yet, so figured I'd throw it in here. So it does appear that we have interest in keeping Tomlinson long term, which I really don't have any major issues with. 

Archived