It's time to get excited about the Chiefs D again!

New article about the CB going into camp. The default position seems to be Fuller on one side with Amerson and Nelson arguing over CB2 and Nickel, with both playing a lot. Pardon me if I am underwhelmed. https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/7/16/17572792/chiefs-training-camp-im-most-looking-forward-to-watching-the-cornerbacks

No offense to Steven Nelson, but I would be most comfortable with him playing 18-20 snaps per game. Solid is his upside. Amerson might be a bit better in some uses, but has much more flop potential. What excites me about our CB unit are the dice rolls.

Roll #1: Will Redmond

• Top 50 talent
  • scary injury history
  • no production yet at this level

Roll #2: Tremon Smith 

• Who? From Where? Central Arkansas U, that's where.
  • 6th round pick
  • Tyreek Hill speed
  • Former QB and WR

Roll #3: Arrion Springs 

• UDFA
  • Three-year starter at Oregon
  • leg and feet issues may have knocked him down (bowlegged, pigeon-toed)
  • Improved throughout college

Redmond is the guy that could really shake up camp. If he is fully healthy, he has the talent and time in league to take the CB2 job outright.  In my mind, Tremon Smith will make an impact with the Special Teams. His blazing speed is tailored for the new KO rules. He's also sticky-fingered and returns punts. I can see him coming out of camp as the dime back and ST Ace. By end of season, still ST Ace, but covering the fast slot receivers. The talent is there to do it faster. Springs is under the radar. I suspect that most years he would be drafted. Few three years starters from top programs cannot manage the NFL. The question is not if, but when.

Camp is just over a week away. Go hit something.

J

• 1 month later...

After seeing our D in preseason, I can confidently say we have a lot of potential. However, there were tons of rookie mistakes and it'll probably take at least the first half of the season before the game starts to slow down for them. I love the pieces still, though. Nnadi, Speaks and Watts all looked damn good IMO.

I'm not sold on Speaks yet. He looked good against the run, but not so much as a pass rusher. Besides that i really hope Berry is back for week 1. But even if he's back i don't really know what we can expect from the D.

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I agree. For me it's important to stay injury=free until we can jell on both sides of the ball.

With that in mind, it's easy to get excited about the Practice Squad. Several of the UDFA that made bids to the roster landed on PS, including Arrion Springs and Chase Litton. 

J

I stand by my May thoughts. Our front 7 isn't very good and our secondary is terrible save for Fuller. When he comes back, Berry will obviously help a lot, but I fear our ceiling on D is averageness. And I don't think we will hit it, especially with Sutton.

5 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I stand by my May thoughts. Our front 7 isn't very good and our secondary is terrible save for Fuller. When he comes back, Berry will obviously help a lot, but I fear our ceiling on D is averageness. And I don't think we will hit it, especially with Sutton.

You all know i'm no Sutton fan. Whatever the players we have/use, Sutton always seems to underachieve. Maybe with another crop of players that are supposed to perform well, more disappointments on defense will finally see the Chiefs replace Sutton. Then we can start all over again on defense.

Expectations for this season are lower as we are clearly in restocking mode. That said, I think that we are clearly better than mediocre to average. This defense is much faster than the last two years and we have at least some edge rush. It will get ugly on occasion, but we will continue to create turnovers. I think average is the floor. 

J

5 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

You all know i'm no Sutton fan. Whatever the players we have/use, Sutton always seems to underachieve. Maybe with another crop of players that are supposed to perform well, more disappointments on defense will finally see the Chiefs replace Sutton. Then we can start all over again on defense.

If your definition of underachieving is being 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, then 15th in points allowed when the year prior they were 25th; then I'm all for it. Obviously there's room for improvement, but I think we'll be just fine. Now if we could just upgrade our #2 CB...

18 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

If your definition of underachieving is being 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, then 15th in points allowed when the year prior they were 25th; then I'm all for it. Obviously there's room for improvement, but I think we'll be just fine. Now if we could just upgrade our #2 CB...

flawed stat. Our offensive style of play (extended drive etc.) + the fact that the AFC overall has crappy offenses drove up those rankings. 

I liked Sutton until two years ago. But his incapability to adjust in game and some weird schemes he ran lately (like why the heck is Justin Houston playing coverage so often) has annoyed me a lot. 

Prior to 2 years ago I could live with the PPG stat.  Not anymore,  toooo many drives that just eat the clock.  I could live with a couple long drives that give up 3 points, but the consistency in which we give up 5-9 minute drives is maddening.

It’s pretty tough for an offense to get in rhythm when they are going 30-60 minutes between possessions..

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I 100% agree on some of the scheming. Just because he can, doesn't mean Houston should be in coverage. He should be rushing the QB like 95% of the time.

This is where Berry and O'Daniel come in. Both have both the coverage and the tackling skills we need. When Berry went down last year, we had no one to handle non-WR coverage. We spent way too much time in dime packages last season because we lacked second tier coverage capacity.  

The ball control argument is a valid one. That said, I recall a Nebraska National Champion team that had the ball for under three minutes of a third quarter. It was because they had four possessions of four plays or less--all TDs. The ability to apply pressure takes many forms.

J

On 9/4/2018 at 3:20 PM, TedLavie said:

I liked Sutton until two years ago. But his incapability to adjust in game and some weird schemes he ran lately (like why the heck is Justin Houston playing coverage so often) has annoyed me a lot. 

Don't forget Sutton continually ran a 3 man Dline when our LB's were quite vanilla. Offenses controlled the LOS, we couldn't get off the field with all the First Downs we gave up. Sutton refused to learn and change, so we died a slow death game-day.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:04 PM, mayanfootball said:

Don't forget Sutton continually ran a 3 man Dline when our LB's were quite vanilla. Offenses controlled the LOS, we couldn't get off the field with all the First Downs we gave up. Sutton refused to learn and change, so we died a slow death game-day.

Or whenever he blitzed he would have the DB's play 5-10 yards off instead of jamming at the LOS. They would just get torched on slants and quick outs all game long. Fun times.

Archived