Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
VexMilkWaterfall

2018 Chiefs Draft Class

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'll be adding to this post as I find time.  I wanted to make it easy for everyone to familiarize themselves with our draft class/offseason additions so we all know what to expect once the preseason/regular season is upon us.  The strengths/opportunities listed are my impressions, based on the limited film I've seen on each player.

QB Patrick Mahomes

  • Sorry, but I can't not include him here. The last time I got to be hyped about a QB we drafted was Brodie Freakin' Croyle and his insanely hot wife.  Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I still like his wife more than I liked him, lol.  Anyway, I don't care what anyone says!  He's our 1st round pick and an instant starter in 2018.  Eat your heart out, Baker Mayfield!  Enjoy your $5 million bajillion dollar contract that'll have to be voided 2-3 years from now.  Say "hi" to Mr. Dorsey for me.

OLB/DE/UT Breeland Speaks

  • Strengths: Unrelenting motor.  Strong at the point of attack with polished hand placement and always has his eyes on the ball carrier, even when engaged.  High energy player who strives to be a technician. His build and experience on the interior and exterior defensive line makes him extremely versatile and as a result, extremely valuable.  Looking at his tape, it's very rare to see him on the ground; he understands leverage and how to use it to his advantage. Flashes potential to become a 2-gap DE and has sufficient athleticism to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme.
  • Opportunities: Although his swim and rip moves are polished, he often relies on them too much. Pushes up-field too aggressively on passing downs, leaving his gap assignment vacated, thus making his gap an easy target for draw plays or QB scrambles for big yardage. Although his motor often makes up for it, he lacks elite burst and bend to generate consistent pressure as an edge rusher.  Below average change of direction skills in space.
  • Height: 6'3" (same as Tamba)
  • Weight: 283 lbs
  • Arm Length: 33 3/4" (same as Tamba)
  • Hands: 9 7/8"
  • Bench Press: N/A
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.87 seconds (same as Tamba)
  • Vertical Jump: 32.5" (Tamba: 30")
  • Broad Jump: 110.0"
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.63 seconds (Tamba: 7.28 seconds)
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.65 seconds (Tamba: 4.31 seconds)
  • NFL.com Draft Profile
  • Pro Day Bag Drills (Check out the power in his punch!)
  • 2017 Highlights

NT/NG Derrick Nnadi

  • Strengths: Good luck finding bad tape on this kid.  Plays with a great motor with tons of intensity.  Like Speaks, he's never on the ground and always keeps his eyes focused on the ballcarrier.  His ability to track the ball is crazy good.  He's extremely strong at the point of attack, despite his lackluster bench press reps.  Has a strong initial punch and his feet never stop moving.  Combine those active feet with a powerful lower body and good lateral agility and you get a very disruptive player who WILL help stuff the run.  Even when he doesn't make the tackle, stops for a loss are usually because Nnadi disrupted the play before it could get out of the backfield.
  • Opportunities: Lacks the necessary burst to offer a consistent pass rush.  Not a sideline-to-sideline player.  If it's inside the tackles, he'll be in on the play, but outside the tackles, he's stuck waiting for the runner reverse direction before he can make a play, even in active pursuit.  Doesn't have the height to swat passes and can be taken out of plays if he doesn't land the first punch.
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 317 lbs
  • Arm Length: 33 1/2"
  • Hands: 9 7/8"
  • Bench Press: 25 reps
  • 40 Yard Dash: 5.38 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 27.0"
  • Broad Jump: 96.0"
  • 3 Cone Drill: 8.15 seconds
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 5.02 seconds
  • NFL.com Draft Profile
  • 2017 Highlights

Dime LB Dorian O'Daniel

  • Strengths: This kid is an acrobat.  His change of direction skills are off the charts for a linebacker.  He plays with tremendous speed and confidence and is at his best when playing "down hill".  Even though he lacks size, he's effective while blitzing and breaking down in space to secure the tackle, thanks to his consistent tackling technique.  Recognition skills are excellent, frequently sniffing out screen plays and blowing them up for a loss or no gain.  He's excellent in coverage and can match-up in man or zone on RBs or TEs with ease, thanks to participating regularly in DB drills at Clemson.  The guy is also a terror on special teams.  Think Kassim Osgood.  He flows through traffic better than any college gunner I've ever seen.
  • Opportunities: Undersized.  Unless he can bulk up (or channel his inner Donnie Edwards), he'll likely never be a 3 down linebacker. Focuses on the backfield/ball carrier well, sometimes to a fault, leaving himself open for crack-back blocks from WRs, TEs and RBs.  Sometimes overly aggressive, resulting in taking himself out of the play while attempting to knife behind a blocker.  Struggles with crossing routes and slants across the middle (needs some extra reps here).
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 223 lbs
  • Arm Length: 31 1/8"
  • Hands: 9"
  • Bench Press: 21 reps
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.61 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 32.0"
  • Broad Jump: 119.0"
  • 3 Cone Drill: 6.64 seconds
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.07 seconds
  • NFL.com Draft Profile
  • 2017 Highlights

FS Armani Watts

  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 202 lbs
  • Arm Length: 31"
  • Hands: 8 3/4"
  • Bench Press: 13 reps
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.56 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 35.0"
  • Broad Jump: 120.0"
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.25 seconds
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.37 seconds
  • NFL.com Draft Profile
  • Highlights

CB Tremon Smith

  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 190 lbs
  • Arm Length: 31 1/5"
  • Hands: 8"
  • Bench Press: 15 reps
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.33 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 35.0"
  • Broad Jump: 119.0"
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.03 seconds
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.14 seconds
  • NFL.com Draft Profile
  • Highlights

OG Reginald "Kahlil" McKenzie

  • Height: 6'3"
  • Weight: 314 lbs
  • Arm Length: 31 1/2"
  • Hands: 10 1/8"
  • Bench Press: 26 reps
  • 40 Yard Dash: 5.15 seconds
  • Vertical Jump: 29.5"
  • Broad Jump: 105.0"
  • 3 Cone Drill: 7.94 seconds
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.68 seconds
  • NFL.com Draft Profile

If you have anything to add, feel free!

Edited by VexMilkWaterfall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. Hope you don't mind me linking that in the database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet write up. 

Unless he can bulk up (or channel his inner Donnie Edwards), he'll likely never be a 3 down linebacker. I wonder who drafted Donnie Edwards.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Very nice. Hope you don't mind me linking that in the database.

Thanks and nope, go right ahead.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Sweet write up. 

Unless he can bulk up (or channel his inner Donnie Edwards), he'll likely never be a 3 down linebacker. I wonder who drafted Donnie Edwards.

J

Thanks! According to Google University, Donnie was drafted back in 1995 under Marty when Gunther was still our DC. Herm was our DB coach that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The year before Tony Gonzalez.

Our 1996 draft was one top 10 for the whole decade.

1.28 DB Jerome Woods Memphis  - 128 G, 41 AV
2.28 DB Reggie Tongue Oregon State  - 145 G, 45 AV
3.07 DL John Browning West Virginia - 121 G, 40 AV
4.03 LB Donnie Edwards UCLA - 194 G, 84 AV
5.03 WR Joe Horn Itawamba JC - 163 G, 69 AV

Three others that  played at least 40 games, 21 total AV.

We drafted more AV for the 3rd round on than the two previous drafts combined, but did not keep it together. Joe Horn became Drew Brees' favorite target when we were desperate for a WR.

 J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we have Speaks drop 5-10 lbs try to gain some explosiveness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I wonder if we have Speaks drop 5-10 lbs try to gain some explosiveness

Just check what Tamba did ... I firmly believe they see Speaks as his heir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Just check what Tamba did ... I firmly believe they see Speaks as his heir.

Oh they pretty much said that during the press conference after drafting him. Veach loves the guy so I'm hoping he's worth it because the tape I watched wasn't all that impressive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

Oh they pretty much said that during the press conference after drafting him. Veach loves the guy so I'm hoping he's worth it because the tape I watched wasn't all that impressive

Hmmm .. watching Tamba in that position was an issue as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Hmmm .. watching Tamba in that position was an issue as well.

He's very Tamba-like need to get him focused on one position so that we can find out what he's really got. H e played all over the place at Ole Miss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamba Hali comparisons are a red flag for me. My issue is that Hali was almost unique in being successful. His physical profile was marginal, since he was neither sudden nor explosive.

Speaks' Combine numbers indicate he may not be either. Hali was significantly quicker on his 40, his 3-cone and the shuttle. The cause for hope are the jumps, where Speaks did better, despite carrying an extra 12 pounds. For the present, he clearly will have an opportunity as a situational rusher, which is more of an interior approach. John Randle was so physically unimposing he went undrafted. If the comparisons to Hali are about will, desire and persistence, then I'm all over it.

Nnadi, on the other hand, seems to be exactly what was expected. The best line so far has been, "try to find bad tape." I can get with that.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Tamba Hali comparisons are a red flag for me. My issue is that Hali was almost unique in being successful. His physical profile was marginal, since he was neither sudden nor explosive.

Speaks' Combine numbers indicate he may not be either. Hali was significantly quicker on his 40, his 3-cone and the shuttle. The cause for hope are the jumps, where Speaks did better, despite carrying an extra 12 pounds. For the present, he clearly will have an opportunity as a situational rusher, which is more of an interior approach. John Randle was so physically unimposing he went undrafted. If the comparisons to Hali are about will, desire and persistence, then I'm all over it.

Nnadi, on the other hand, seems to be exactly what was expected. The best line so far has been, "try to find bad tape." I can get with that.

J

That's why I wonder if Speaks drops weight get him closer to Halis weight see if he does better athletically

7.63 3 cone is just awful for an edge rusher, confirms a lack of bend I saw on tape

Edited by Chiefer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chiefer said:

That's why I wonder if Speaks drops weight get him closer to Halis weight see if he does better athletically

7.83 3 cone is just awful for an edge rusher

Exactly what I was thinking and he does not have the explosion to do without. However, it matters a lot less for a 3-tech shooting the gap and Speaks does have experience inside. This is where that comparisons to Hali matter. The best pass rushing DT are not big, but they are very persistent. 

Rather than lose weight, he may gain some to help anchor against the run.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Exactly what I was thinking and he does not have the explosion to do without. However, it matters a lot less for a 3-tech shooting the gap and Speaks does have experience inside. This is where that comparisons to Hali matter. The best pass rushing DT are not big, but they are very persistent. 

Rather than lose weight, he may gain some to help anchor against the run.

J

They seemed pretty adamant on him being an OLB

Much easier to lose weight then to gain it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not exactly, but if you mean add playing bulk, I'm with you.

That said, I guess I have trouble figuring how to get him playing time with Kpassagnon.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×