Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

1 hour ago, Dan_Bali said:

Can't help but feel that Paul is a waste of money for Houston.  Doesn't really add anything to the game D'Antoni likes to play.  

Hes not a waste of money. If nothing else hes a 1st team all defense and hes the best 2nd unit PG in the league. Hes going to be a match up nightmare for other teams 2nd units. 

3 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

Can't help but feel that Paul is a waste of money for Houston.  Doesn't really add anything to the game D'Antoni likes to play.  

He adds plenty to the offense D'Antoni likes to run.  Its the first game of the season.  It is going to take some time before he gels with Harden and the offense.  Despite his bad shooting game vs the Warriors he still contributed on the stat sheet.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

He adds plenty to the offense D'Antoni likes to run.  Its the first game of the season.  It is going to take some time before he gels with Harden and the offense.  Despite his bad shooting game vs the Warriors he still contributed on the stat sheet.

Yeah we don't win that game without CP3 running the 2nd unit to start the 4th quarter. I think he had 2 points and 4 assists during that period where Harden was on the bench. That's where he's gonna be most valuable. And he's a great defender. 

Looking forward to tonight's game. I kinda thing we should rest CP3 the rest of the week and let him heal up before we play Memphis on Monday. 

We should be able to beat the Kings and definitely the Mavs without him. 

Kings team might be a tough match up for us. Randolph is a banger, Hill is a solid PG and Carter always hits big 3s against us. The rest of the team is young and unproven. 

2nd night of a back to back that was as emotional as last night was will make it tougher. Nene should be ready to go against Randolph. He might end up playing minute for minute against him. I'll be interested to see if Nene starts of Randolph does. 

Harden needs to go for the scoring title this year. Obviously not at the expense of games but he's been a 2x most points scored and yet lost the official scoring title both times to guys who missed 15 games. I think a 60 win year which sees him lead the league in scoring might finally get him an MVP. 

Solid win last night, could have been a let down game, but we did just enough to sneak away with a W. We should be able to beat Dallas and be #1 in the power rankings....too bad that doesnt mean anything

Last night did show that we have a huge hole at PG if CP3 or Harden is out. We need to be on the phone with Jameer Nelson. He would be a perfect fit for what we need. Honestly we just need a guy who can play 12-14 minutes a night on nights when Cp3 or Harden is out. Hes a vet, he can shoot 3s, and he has to want to play on a contender. I would at least make a call

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

No CP3 in the home opener tomorrow. Dangit!

sucks that he keeps missing, but once again we should be able to beat Dallas without him. Covering the rookie Smith might be tough without him though. 

We have a really favorable schedule coming up, depending on how we match up with the Grizzlies this year. We typically struggle with them. Im going to that game on the 28th, should be fun. If we can beat them consistently, we could seriously start out 9-1 or 10-1 or so. I want to say 10-0 but i know we will have a let down game or two. 

The 76ers are much much better this season than last, but I think we should still be able to beat them twice. 

Thunder looked really good last night. I think they could be in the 2 or 3 seed range, which might mean a 2nd round series with us. I am kinda thinking a 4 seed would be better for us. Puts us in a series with the warriors in round 2 when we should be a little fresher. i guess WCF would sound better, but it really doesnt matter if we cant win a series with the warriors. 

one week in and its gone fairly well. We are 3-0 and there is a LOT of room for improvement, mainly getting our HOF PG back. 

Harden seems to be taking a different approach this year. Hes not fighting for rebounds or hunting assists. He seems more comfortable just playing and not going after an MVP award. His defense has been much better with just a few lapses. 

Our 2nd unit is going to be the best in the league when CP3 is playing with Gordon/Tucker/Moute/Nene. I think we can pull ahead of teams like the Thunder, Cavs, and Spurs when that unit is on the court. 

Capela is continuing to improve. He is shooting 81% from the free throw line so far, granted in limited reps, but still his stroke seems to be there for sustained success around 70%. I just wish we could get him to 2 blocks per game and up to 28-30 minutes.

Anderson is not being as aggressive with his shot this season, but he has been better so far this year than last year. He is rebounding at a much higher rate and he is passing the ball instead of jacking up 3s. Weve actually played him at center without major issues for short stretches. 

Eric Gordon has been great so far, and he has been great while struggling badly from the 3 point line. I would love to see him keep this pace up and average over 20 a game. even after we got CP3, i felt like Gordon would be the key to our season. hes the difference between a 3 star team and a 2 star team, and right now hes playing like that 3rd guy. once he gets his 3 point shot back to the 35-40% range, its going to be really good. people forget that Gordon was on his way to being a top 5 SG and injuries derailed all that. Well hes got a season under his belt without anything major and he looks like hes in the best shape of his life. plus hes still just 28.

we were pretty healthy last year, but the injuries are starting to take a toll. Nene, Ariza and Paul are all out for tonight's game. Nene doesnt hurt much, the 76ers dont really have a bruiser big man, so Black should be able to slide into those minutes. Going to need a big game from Capela against Embiid though. 

Ariza missing is going to hurt us though. He was out answer for covering Simmons. I guess now Tucker will pick him up. Tucker is a little bigger than Ariza, but Ariza is longer than Tucker. 

We knew we were going to be missing CP3 for this game, but it still hurts. 

Fultz is out, which is really a bad thing for the rockets. he has been terrible trying to play through this injury and i would have liked to play against him, because Jackson or Canaan or whoever our back up PG is going to be tonight could have matched his play. 

Its been a while since the 76ers have scared anyone but with the way we have struggled shooting the 3 ball, who knows how this one might go. Embiid can be dominate and Simmons has been excellent. Reddick likes to feast on the Rockets as well, granted last year we locked him down pretty well. The year before that he went for like 25 points a game in the the 4 games we played. 

Covington and Bayless cant possible keep shooting over 50% from 3 point range. 

Honestly I would match Embiid minute per minute with Capela. Let Black play against Johnson. We have to keep either Tucker or Moute on Simmons at all time. 

We can win, but its going to be difficult with the guys we have out. 

Excited about tonights game. I love 6pm friday night games, it just makes the weekend start earlier. 

Might not be excited about the results. Just looking at it, It appears we should beat the Hornets easily. But we will be without Ariza, Paul and Nene again, so missing 33% of the rotation hurts. But the Hornets are not an offensive power house. They are a defensive power house and we are really struggling to shoot the ball at the moment. We are 4-1 while hitting 28% on 42 attempts per game. Thats really lucky. The schedule has been fairly easy as well.