Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

9 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

why? cause of his weight?

he wouldnt be a bad choice at 3.  elite rim protector with guard like skills?  you take that gamble 10 times out of 10.

He can’t protect the rim in the nba. He’s gonna get bullied around. We saw it in college anytime he played a decent post. He doesn’t have the lateral quickness to play the 4, so he’s gonna have to play the 5 on defense. 

his frame reminds me of Zhou Qi, only Zhou Qi actually weighed more. 

I think he’s a guy that will flash potential every year but miss 25 games a season due to injury. He just doesn’t have an nba body and I don’t seem him developing one anytime soon. 

I wonder if we will finally go all in on being young? I highly doubt it though. Silas is in his last year without winning 30-40 games. I bet we keep both wood and Gordon at least until we see if the team has a shot at the play in. 

having said that, with 4 2nd year guys, a 3rd year guy in KJ and a 4th year guy in Porter, are we really gonna add two rookies? I think we probably trade the 17th pick or take an international player who either doesn’t come over or plays in the g-league all year. 

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What do you all think will be the return from Christian Wood? Has he improved his stock with you?

He has one year left.  I think they can get a pretty good return for him as an expiring.  Depending on the team, I wouldnt be shocked if someone gave up their first round pick for him.  Looking at teams like the Hornets, Knicks or the Warriors. I seriously doubt the Blazers give up their first rounder.  He isn't a difference maker but he almost certainly can help a team be a contender.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

He has one year left.  I think they can get a pretty good return for him as an expiring.  Depending on the team, I wouldnt be shocked if someone gave up their first round pick for him.  Looking at teams like the Hornets, Knicks or the Warriors. I seriously doubt the Blazers give up their first rounder.  He isn't a difference maker but he almost certainly can help a team be a contender.  

He’s not an all star but he’s a starter for sure. I could see us packaging him and Gordon and taking on a bad contract for a cost of two 1st round picks. Gordon is also on an expiring and between the two it’s around 35 million. They can both help a team. Say the lakers for Westbrook but it would cost them two 1sts. 

the suns should have traded for Gordon this season. All they had to do was offer a 1st and they probably beat Dallas. He’s a difference maker in a 7 game series. Plays tough D and can shoot the ball while also driving to the rim. He’s more valuable than wood. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He’s not an all star but he’s a starter for sure. I could see us packaging him and Gordon and taking on a bad contract for a cost of two 1st round picks. Gordon is also on an expiring and between the two it’s around 35 million. They can both help a team. Say the lakers for Westbrook but it would cost them two 1sts. 

the suns should have traded for Gordon this season. All they had to do was offer a 1st and they probably beat Dallas. He’s a difference maker in a 7 game series. Plays tough D and can shoot the ball while also driving to the rim. He’s more valuable than wood. 

I thought EG is a free agent in 2024?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/eric-gordon-6116/

On 5/21/2022 at 9:06 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

He can’t protect the rim in the nba. He’s gonna get bullied around. We saw it in college anytime he played a decent post. He doesn’t have the lateral quickness to play the 4, so he’s gonna have to play the 5 on defense. 

his frame reminds me of Zhou Qi, only Zhou Qi actually weighed more. 

I think he’s a guy that will flash potential every year but miss 25 games a season due to injury. He just doesn’t have an nba body and I don’t seem him developing one anytime soon. 

I think you under rate his lateral quickness.  He is quite quick and mobile but it looks awkward because of his body type.  But he still is a pretty good athlete and with his length should be able to handle 4s on the perimeter.  there aren't a ton of 4s that you are worried about taking you off the dribble and if so he has the length to catch up and still alter shots.  I agree he will likely get bullied by NBA Cs but if he adds 20 lbs he will be fine there too.  If he is there at 3 and you guys don't want him, the Pistons will swap 3 for 5 and something. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Banchero/Sengun seems like a horrific pairing defensively

we dont know that for sure.  Sengun is still young. Not like he cant improve.  Same with Banchero. Plus the Rockets didnt do Sengun any favors his rookie year anyway, the team defense was historically bad.  Silas need to hire a legit defensive coach. 

If Rockets take Banchero, you play him with Sengun and if the fit down the line doesnt work THEN you make a decision who to keep or let go.

Edited by Texansfan713

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

we dont know that for sure.  Sengun is still young. Not like he cant improve.  Plus the Rockets didnt do him any favors his rookie year anyway, the defense was historically bad.  Silas need to hire a legit defensive coach. 

If Rockets take Banchero, you play him with Sengun and if the fit down the line doesnt work THEN you make a decision who to keep or let go.

Sengun reminds me of Kanter, just slow af so hard to defend. Paolo can defend if he wants too just kinda lazy.

Rockets aren't competing next year anyway, take the talent, worry most about the fit with Green, and adjust in the future as needed.  Bancheo has the tools to be good defensively, you just need a coach to light a fire under his *** about it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, THE DUKE said:

Rockets aren't competing next year anyway, take the talent, worry most about the fit with Green, and adjust in the future as needed.  Bancheo has the tools to be good defensively, you just need a coach to light a fire under his *** about it.

How many prospects who were mediocre college defenders figured it out in the NBA?