Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

a few things

-in addition to Harden, if they were not to get him they will have interest in several point guards such as Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson, Donte DiVincenzo, and even Chris Paul.  

-free agent targets they will go after include Dillon Brooks, Brook Lopez, and RFA's Cam Johnson and Austin Reaves.

-Rockets brass appear high on Amen Thompson

-Several teams have interest in trading for the 4th pick

Several other stuff mentioned in the article as well.  

On 5/23/2023 at 8:53 AM, Texansfan713 said:

a few things

-in addition to Harden, if they were not to get him they will have interest in several point guards such as Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson, Donte DiVincenzo, and even Chris Paul.  

-free agent targets they will go after include Dillon Brooks, Brook Lopez, and RFA's Cam Johnson and Austin Reaves.

-Rockets brass appear high on Amen Thompson

-Several teams have interest in trading for the 4th pick

Several other stuff mentioned in the article as well.  

Dillon Brooks and KPJ would be in a fist fight before camp was over. He’s not a good player and he’s a terrible fit. 

we hVe a cultural problem in Houston and Silas was too weak willed to fix it, Udoka might be able to fix it if he can stay off the office staff long enough. 

We’ve gone so young, with such bad culture and accountability that I’m not 100% sure we haven’t ruined guys like Green. 

idk what the answer is, as much as I want harden back here, he makes us better but stunts the growth of our young guys. 

if we want to continue building up this roster and are gonna keep the pick and take Amen, then the right pg option is gonna be Mike Conley or trading for CP3.  CP3 did wonders for OKC but he’s also much older now. But we don’t need him to carry a load, just carry the culture. 

I wouldn’t go sign harden, as much as I want him back, unless I was getting another star to go with him. 

trade for CP3, something light though, like KPJ, KJ Martin, and pick 20. He’s not worth much else. Or it’s possible the suns just cut him for nothing. 

then sign Cam Johnson and Austin Reaves to deals and hope to get one of them in RFA. 

CP3
Green
Johnson or Reaves 
Smith
Sengun

bench of

Christopher/Washington
Amen
Tate
Eason
Garuba 

you can add in some vets around that. That is a very solid team that still lets your young guys be a focus but gives some vets around them to build culture and keep mental focus in games. 

assuming we stay healthy, and get 55-60 games out of CP3, I would say that’s a 40-45 win team. 

We could swap out CP3 for Harden but we would still have to trade KPJ at least for cap purposes. We don’t have the money to sign harden and to get Johnson or Reaves. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday's moves were head scratching.  I seriously dont know what the heck Stone was thinking with the Brooks signing and the 2 trades.  I can get behind the Jeff Green signing.  I honestly wish we kept Patty Mills after trading for him.

I think we are done making moves.  The roster right now

PG:  VanVleet/Amen Thompson

SG: Jalen Green/Porter Jr. 

SF: Brooks/Whitmore/Tate

PF: Smith Jr./Eason/Jeff Green

C  :  Sengun/Landale

On 7/2/2023 at 9:29 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Yesterday's moves were head scratching.  I seriously dont know what the heck Stone was thinking with the Brooks signing and the 2 trades.  I can get behind the Jeff Green signing.  I honestly wish we kept Patty Mills after trading for him.

I think we are done making moves.  The roster right now

PG:  VanVleet/Amen Thompson

SG: Jalen Green/Porter Jr. 

SF: Brooks/Whitmore/Tate

PF: Smith Jr./Eason/Jeff Green

C  :  Sengun/Landale

I will be shocked if Amen or WhiTmore see anything other than G-League minutes early in this season. 

id say Green, Brooks and FVV play 32-36 minutes each. 

smith and Eason will split time at the 4, with smith playing some at the 5. 

Sengun gonna start but probably only play 28 minutes. Landale will get some run but not all the back up big minutes. 

tate and green will both be rotational guys who miss lots of games and play based on the health of everyone else  

kPJ is the wild card. His best spot is gonna be as a 6th man, playing 24-28 minutes a night but I have doubts that he accepts that. 

looking at what Udoka did in Boston, I could see Brooks playing that stopper role. Sengun being used almost like Horford. 

But hopefully he’s got some other things up his sleeves. 

id say that it’s 6-10 range or bust for us this year. 

We are obviously betting on Green, Smtih, Sengun to be an all star core of some kind. 

im not a fan of brooks but I think we needed an all defensive team SF to put in there. Man if we can unlock Smiths potential, this team could be really good defensively. Which is good because we can’t shoot. 

I love what we did this off season. FVV is that vet guard we need. Brooks, while not my choice, brings a hard nose attitude we need. 

green is gonna be a great mentor to smith and Eason. 

if green, smith and Sengun take that step forward, we should be a playoff team. 

Here is what I’m predicting star wise 

FVV 20-5-5

Green 24-4-4

brooks 14-3-4

Smith 17-9

Sengun 17-8-6

kPJ 13-4-4

Tari 8-5

amen 7-4-3

Somewhere in that range for most of those guys. 

Onviously if you add all that up, we have like the number 1 scoring offense in the league so someone isn’t living up to those numbers but that’s what I’m thinking each one could do. 

in reality, Smith is probably scoring less, so is brooks. 

to me, Green is the wild card. He made a scoring jump from his rookie year to last year. If he makes another jump, he could be a 25 point scorer. The thing that will stop that is efficiency. He will not get close to 25 a game unless he improves his shooting numbers because this year we aren’t gonna let him take more shots, he’s gonna have to be happy with about the same number and actually make them. 

we have the potential to be a 32% shooting team from 3.  That’s not good enough. 

I also don’t know how the guard rotation is gonna work with FVV, Green, KPJ, and Amen. I feel like KPJ will be traded by the deadline if Amen is capable of playing. I could also see Amen spending a lot of time with the g-league. 

we have a legit 10 deep roster though 

FVV/Amen
Gree /KPJ
Brooks/Tate
Smith/Eason
Sengun/Landale 

we also have Jeff Green, Aaron Holiday, Cam Whitmore 

we are pretty deep

im am looking for 35-45 wins this year. If we can’t do that then the Green, Smith, Sengun trio is not worth building around. Year 3 for Green and Sengun is go time. 

Whitmore is too good NOT to get playing time.   IDC if it is Summer League.  It's a reason why he was projected a top 5 pick at one point.  He has talent.  He likely wont be the starter at SF for a season or maybe 2 but he will get minutes.  Tate will be the odd man out. I wish we dealt him instead of KJ Martin.