Kickoffs to be "modified"

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re essentially trying to turn the kickoff into a punt.

ooooh a kickoff into a punt. love it.

the kicker kicks the ball off, and the punter is on the opposite side of the field and punts it back to the kicking team whilst the ball is in midair. Done, its in the game

Just now, MathMan said:

the kicker kicks the ball off, and the punter is on the opposite side of the field and punts it back to the kicking team whilst the ball is in midair. Done, its in the game

Can you drop kick for points?

6 hours ago, Woz said:

Can you drop kick for points?

whaaaa!! You mean like the kicker kicks it waay too short and the other punter kicks it up and right though the uprights and the receiving team gets 4 points for that AND gets another chance to receive?? You got something wrong with you man, but guess what! Its done, I love it, its in the game. next.

6 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

And you put up taut nets all around the field. There is no out of bounds for kicks and the ball is always in play.

you mean there is literallly nets everywhere and the players are trapped in and even if the qb throws the ball away it bounces off the net and is returned for a touchdown but then the player spikes the ball in the end zone and the ball is still in play and the other defender returns it for another touchdown doubler??? I love it we are cooking with gas now, its in the game, next.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:49 AM, bucsfan333 said:

Do you mean making it (marginally) safer so parents don't stop their kids from playing football, reducing the amount of kids playing football through to college, ultimately slowly killing off the NFL?

With all the information out there now, playing Football is purely a choice. You know the risk of playing it at this point. It's like signing up to be a fireman or police officer, you know the risk. Football is a violent game. I'm happy they're taking 'some steps' to improve the safety, but you're also changing the game to something unrecognizable which doesn't make sense as well, in my opinion.

11 hours ago, youngosu said:

Pretty they mean kicking team will line up at 35 and can't start running till ball is kicked and the return team needs to bring most of its players closer to where the kicking team lines up. 

Such changes would reduce the full speed collisions. 

I think this is fair and preserves the sanctity of the kickoff. 

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think this is fair and preserves the sanctity of the kickoff. 

These are my thoughts as well.

They seem to have come up with a way of making them safer while also putting a bit of excitement back into them. 

When I first saw they were considering a change, I hoped they weren’t going the same direction as the ncaa. I’m glad they haven’t.

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

With all the information out there now, playing Football is purely a choice. You know the risk of playing it at this point. It's like signing up to be a fireman or police officer, you know the risk. Football is a violent game. I'm happy they're taking 'some steps' to improve the safety, but you're also changing the game to something unrecognizable which doesn't make sense as well, in my opinion.

Absolutely, but it’s parents who are keeping their kids from playing, which is the concern.

If kids stop play, eventually interest in the sport nationally decreases.

Making the game safer is in their own best interest long term.

15 hours ago, MathMan said:

Volleyfoot!

On 5/1/2018 at 9:16 AM, WizardHawk said:

When concussions and billion dollar lawsuits stop, they probably will.

The lawsuits only happened because the NFL hid the results of their concussion testing from the players.  And for that reason they should pay up to take care of those guys.  Now that it's out in the open and guys are still willing play the game it's hard for them to sue the NFL if anything happened long term.  Just be open and honest and these guys will have to make their own decisions on whether to play or not.  Can't just play a violent game knowingly that it could cause long term health concerns and then sue if you do.  Doesn't work like that.  All they need to do is take care of these guys after they retire with life long health coverage and we can all move on.  If you play a certain amount of years (1, 2, 3, 4, whatever) you should be offered lifelong health coverage as compensation.

If they remove the kickoffs it will hurt the sport.  Make them safer as best you can but they can't remove it all together.  

Hell have the defense line up at the 50 or oppentent 40 wherever they typically are on average when the returned catches the ball and not be able to rush the returner until he catches the ball so the collisions between them and the blockers are not as great (IDK).  Removing it all together though is a bit much.  Like taking that out of the game is going to make it safer.  These guys are still at just as much a risk on normal plays too.  Don't see how a kickoff is so much more dangerous.  There are special teams guys that need the kickoff or they don't have a job.  They better think this through before just pulling the plug. 

29 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You know how the kickers always squeeze the ball at the ends before the kickoff?

I've always thought that if the kicker could pop the ball that would end the game in an immediate victory for the kicking team. That seems fair....

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You know how the kickers always squeeze the ball at the ends before the kickoff?

I've always thought that if the kicker could pop the ball that would end the game in an immediate victory for the kicking team. That seems fair....

sudden death popping?

i like the cfb rules where both kickers get the opportunity to squeeze the ball

Archived