Kickoffs to be "modified"

bucsfan333

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

And this I don't get. It's a play that happens what 8-10 times a game, that interrupts the flow of the game for a situation that regularly leads just a bunch of guys running down the field for no reason?

When I think of football, I think of the forward pass, diving catches, running backs driving through the pile or breaking out on a long run. I rarely ever think of a kickoff as something quintessential to the game. It and the extra point are just television air time during the game to get up and grab some food or drink. Both(*) could be removed and the game would operate as normal.

Disagree. 

Every form of football from its beginnings in English public schools has involved a kick to place the ball into play at the beginning of the game/half and after every score. To me it is quintessential to the game. 

As for the idea that you can "wager" a point on the extra point, that is also a ridiculous idea IMO for similar reasons. 94% or 5% chance, actually "earning" every point is also quintessential to the game. Not only that but the rare miss (no matter how rare) often has a huge impact (think the AFC championship game between Denver and New England a few years ago)

As for surprise onside kicks. They will still be rare but if a coach notices that their opponents front line is retreating too quickly the surprise onside kick will remain in the arsenal. 

Just now, youngosu said:

Every form of football from its beginnings in English public schools has involved a kick to place the ball into play at the beginning of the game/half and after every score. To me it is quintessential to the game. 

I could go on a long post stating why, but I'll just summarize it as we'll agree to disagree on this point. I don't believe it would change the game much at all, you think it would be devastating. Okay. Let's leave it there since I don't see us coming to much common ground.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I could go on a long post stating why, but I'll just summarize it as we'll agree to disagree on this point. I don't believe it would change the game much at all, you think it would be devastating. Okay. Let's leave it there since I don't see us coming to much common ground.

I think you overstate my stance. I freely admit the majority of fans likely agree with you but for me it would likely mean I stop watching. It simply wouldn't be the game I grew up playing, watching, and have spent the last 15 years coaching anymore. 

Agree to disagree. 

Just now, youngosu said:

I think you overstate my stance. I freely admit the majority of fans likely agree with you but for me it would likely mean I stop watching. It simply wouldn't be the game I grew up playing, watching, and have spent the last 15 years coaching anymore. 

Agree to disagree. 

And that's your prerogative.

Glad we could part amicably here (I mean that honestly).

Archived