Kickoffs to be "modified"

bucsfan333

I say move the kickoff back to the 20 yard line do not allow a return on the kickoff and  it must be fair caught or covered on the ground and played from the yard marker where possession was made . If the ball is kicked along the ground or muffed by the catcher it belongs to the team that recovers it first at the point of recovery. All other regular kickoff rules for onside kicks and touchbacks stay the same.

With these rules the kickoff game is still a vital part of field position and the turnover and  possession change are still in play. You could also limit the kickoff to 7 on 7 or 5 on 5 to limit the bodies flying around the field.

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, they want to make it safer...but they have literally no alternative for the onside kick

simple.

the team thats behind after a score always starts with the ball at the 20 yard line 

would make for closer games too

11 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Sounds like you might be able to fair catch inside the 25 and take the ball at the 25, like a touch back.

Hmmm

Realistically guys will only do this within like 5 yards of the end zone though right?  

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Well played and I don't want to change the subject here. 

Its not like anyone is gonna be convinced anyway. You like players having their earnings artificially limited, I think its wrong. Simple as that. 

Of course I am talking about the actual game of football not a single stupid league. If the NFL disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't really care but I'd like football to remain a great sport. A game where teams take the ball at the 25 after the other teams score is what you do in your back yard when no one can kick the ball. It may still resemble football but its not really football anymore. That is my opinion and I stand by it. 

If the NFL eliminates the kick off from the game it might as well cease to exist because I will stop watching. I am happy for you if you won't. That is what is great about sports, lots of options. 

12 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like those rare few kickoffs with exciting outcomes blind us to the fact that the overwhelming majority of kickoffs are really boring plays except for the aesthetic value of "watching large people collide at high speeds", which is precisely the thing we're trying to get rid of.  People say it's "the most exciting play in football" but it's really anything but- compare the 2nd half kickoff to say 3rd and goal at the 2, or a 2-point conversion to win or lose.

So even if they are not going to get rid of it, the owners are going to make kickoffs progressively less interesting until there's no real call to keep it, provided a suitable "onside kick" replacement can be found.

Maybe kickoffs in the last two minutes of the game can be utilized. 

21 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

When the NFL lied about concussions caused CTE and brain damage, I get the lawsuits. 100%. Players can say we knew we put our bodies in harms way, but not our brains. yadda yadda. Now that it is out there and documented that concussions cause CTE,  how can players still sue? You now are fully aware of what you sign up, you are compensated well for it. If you do not wish to play, you do not have to.

Well first you have to realize that "concussions" do not cause CTE but repeated head trauma does. It is more like death from a thousand small cuts and not a 1/2 dozen severe  concussions. 

11 hours ago, youngosu said:

Well played and I don't want to change the subject here. 

Its not like anyone is gonna be convinced anyway. You like players having their earnings artificially limited, I think its wrong. Simple as that. 

Of course I am talking about the actual game of football not a single stupid league. If the NFL disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't really care but I'd like football to remain a great sport. A game where teams take the ball at the 25 after the other teams score is what you do in your back yard when no one can kick the ball. It may still resemble football but its not really football anymore. That is my opinion and I stand by it. 

If the NFL eliminates the kick off from the game it might as well cease to exist because I will stop watching. I am happy for you if you won't. That is what is great about sports, lots of options. 

Its a super common practice in business. A lot of businesses that have an “artificial” limit on earnings for new people. 

Archived