Purple Haze - State of the Purple Pass Rush

VikeManDan

19 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I personally think I would choose Holmes, Aruna, Mata'afa. One of the holdovers might bump one of the last two down to practice squad though.

Bower is my favorite, I think his ceiling is very high. 

Have to think Holmes makes it. 

That would be 8. 

I don't expect anything from Weatherly at this point. 

Odenigbo just had the one preseason so far, not sure where he's at. 

Aruna is so raw that he seems like a practice squad guy unless he has an amazing preseason.

I have high hopes for Mata'afa but who knows if that will work. He'd probably be very good at special teams, and maybe they'd go with just 5 LBs and keep him as an extra (9th or 10th) DL. 

So: 4 starters, Robison, Johnson, Bower, Holmes, Mata'afa. Practice squad Aruna and maybe Odenigbo. Weatherly released. 

The Vikings did a good job of adding depth to the defensive line.  There first move was to sign Richardson.  If he stays healthy, he will be the most impactful free agent the Vikings have ever signed...including a certain QB with an $84 million dollar guaranteed contract!  I think the draft did well, as well as the development of some younger guys who were already on the squad, to add quality depth.  I'm not nearly as concerned about the D Line as other areas of the lineup...i.e. offensive line and quarterback.

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

The Vikings did a good job of adding depth to the defensive line.  There first move was to sign Richardson.  If he stays healthy, he will be the most impactful free agent the Vikings have ever signed...including a certain QB with an $84 million dollar guaranteed contract!  I think the draft did well, as well as the development of some younger guys who were already on the squad, to add quality depth.  I'm not nearly as concerned about the D Line as other areas of the lineup...i.e. offensive line and quarterback.

This is one key area I think the staff came out of the Eagles game wanting to address. I think Zimmer was maybe a little envious of their DL rotation.

Adding Richardson to the starting line seems like it's been glossed over by a lot of fans. I think he could have a major impact. Then boosting the number of depth pass rushers. I think that's the key. It's not just about DTs who are decent pass-rushers (T. Johnson), but we brought in some pure rushers who I think could make an impact anywhere on the line.

I think as fans we get locked into the mindset of having two RDEs, two, LDEs, two 1-techs, two 3-techs. I don't think that's how the DL rotation is going to be constructed this year. I think there's a far bigger emphasis on having pass rushers across the line.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

This is one key area I think the staff came out of the Eagles game wanting to address. I think Zimmer was maybe a little envious of their DL rotation.

Adding Richardson to the starting line seems like it's been glossed over by a lot of fans. I think he could have a major impact. Then boosting the number of depth pass rushers. I think that's the key. It's not just about DTs who are decent pass-rushers (T. Johnson), but we brought in some pure rushers who I think could make an impact anywhere on the line.

I think as fans we get locked into the mindset of having two RDEs, two, LDEs, two 1-techs, two 3-techs. I don't think that's how the DL rotation is going to be constructed this year. I think there's a far bigger emphasis on having pass rushers across the line.

I understand that thought to a degree, but I also don't have any faith that the Eagles are going to be able to duplicate their success from last year.  I think...at least IMO, that they were more lucky than good.  Sometimes you can certainly create your own luck, but sometimes that luck can be bad...they just didn't get any of it then...so karma is due for a payback.  

But, on topic, I have no issue with wanting to create a greater DL rotation, I just don't believe that was necessarily the catalyst behind the Eagles' success, nor do I believe it would necessarily make the Vikings' defense all that dramatically better.   

I thought teams were intrigued by Stephen Weatherly?

If we could swing a Player for Player trade, maybe for another developmental Offensive Lineman, I'd be okay with it. That's being optimistic and assuming there is still interest in him.

I think we upgraded the top end DL talent & added potential pass rusher. Theses pass rushers are mainly mid-late round rookies so their impact is unknown. Even with Curry gone, Philly did add to their DL depth this offseason through additions & the draft.

I'm not going to say Eagles were lucky last year. They did have an easier schedule then us & were fortunate to play us at home (again this year, 3rd straight time?), But they won from the trenches dominating us on the OL & DL. They still hold the OL advantage, & it's likely a push between our total DL (starters & depth).

We upgraded QB, but eventually they will get back Wentz. 2 potential unknowns, but good stock regardless.

Philly had more injuries then us last year, so maybe both teams going to the mean hurts if not this year compared to Philly.

Philly still has a big advantage in the coaching department. I'm hoping the NFCE is tougher on Philly this year.

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I thought teams were intrigued by Stephen Weatherly?

If we could swing a Player for Player trade, maybe for another developmental Offensive Lineman, I'd be okay with it. That's being optimistic and assuming there is still interest in him.

It's possible, but I imagine he'll have to have a good preseason to warrant such trade opportunity.  

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I think we upgraded the top end DL talent & added potential pass rusher. Theses pass rushers are mainly mid-late round rookies so their impact is unknown. Even with Curry gone, Philly did add to their DL depth this offseason through additions & the draft.

I'm not going to say Eagles were lucky last year. They did have an easier schedule then us & were fortunate to play us at home (again this year, 3rd straight time?), But they won from the trenches dominating us on the OL & DL. They still hold the OL advantage, & it's likely a push between our total DL (starters & depth).

We upgraded QB, but eventually they will get back Wentz. 2 potential unknowns, but good stock regardless.

Philly had more injuries then us last year, so maybe both teams going to the mean hurts if not this year compared to Philly.

Philly still has a big advantage in the coaching department. I'm hoping the NFCE is tougher on Philly this year.

I'm not sure where Philly has a big advantage in the coaching department...they lost 2/3 of their most important offensive coaches...and I'd take Zimmer and our defensive coaching staff over Schwartz every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

6 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

You left out the RBs and WRs, where I believe we have a significant advantage.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

You left out the RBs and WRs, where I believe we have a significant advantage.

It wasn't meant as a full team analysis. Just a comparitive analysis of additions\subtractions during the offseason & yes Vikings get a massive peice in Cook back but they also get a couple guys back from injury as well.

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/vikings-blog/content/2018-05-15-brian-robison-restructures-contract-to-return-to-vikings-kfan-1003-fm/

Robison took a pay cut to come back. Terms haven’t been released yet.

He’d already renegotiated his contract last year, down to a $5M cap hit last year, and $3.5M this year. Got most of last year’s money guaranteed, but nothing this year, so there’d have been no dead cap hit if he was released. 

Its interesting, because he played 562 snaps last year, and $3.5M isn’t way too much for a guy with that large a role. Yet the team was willing to release him to save cap space.

Makes me think they’re planning to give a decent chunk of Robison’s snaps to one of the young guys. Hopefully that’ll be Bower. 

Archived