Purple Haze - State of the Purple Pass Rush

VikeManDan

9 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

He's gotten a handful of offsides penalties because of this, even though some aren't deserved. 

I think John Randle was the same. Super fast off the line and got some off sides during his career. I'll take it all day every day!!

12 hours ago, Krauser said:

He’d already renegotiated his contract last year, down to a $5M cap hit last year, and $3.5M this year. Got most of last year’s money guaranteed, but nothing this year, so there’d have been no dead cap hit if he was released. 

I thought you were the one I had this conversation with a few weeks ago. Didn't we decide that he had $1.25M guaranteed this year? We based this on the source of the information listed by OTC and also noted that Spotrac had the guarantee listed.

I still believe that Robison had $1.25M guaranteed in '18. What makes you now think that he does not have anything guaranteed?

26 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I thought you were the one I had this conversation with a few weeks ago. Didn't we decide that he had $1.25M guaranteed this year? We based this on the source of the information listed by OTC and also noted that Spotrac had the guarantee listed.

I still believe that Robison had $1.25M guaranteed in '18. What makes you now think that he does not have anything guaranteed?

Sorry yeah, forgot about that. Looked at the same OTC page (where the guaranteed money is written in text but not included on the chart) and made the same mistake.

In any case, the only reason Robison takes a pay cut is if the team was willing to release him otherwise. Suggests they think they could live without him this year, which in turns implies they're expecting one of the younger guys to play a larger role.

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Nearly a 75% paycut. Robison pulling a Greenway. 

I'm sure he'll make it by alright.  :) At the veteran minimum salary, it's almost guaranteed that he'll make the roster.  It sucks for him, but as always, he's been very aware of his role on the team and how it works.  He's probably made somewhere around $40M in his career as starter for half of his career and a rotational guy the other half.  

Robison's contract is interesting to me for a couple reasons.

First, when a contract is redone as a one year veteran minimum contract will it qualify for the veteran minimum salary cap benefit? I know that a one year contract at minimum counts but the fact that this was originally a longer term then renegotiated the last year is a bit of a curveball. As far as I know the team did not cut Robison and then resign him to a one year deal so I do not think that it will qualify but would like clarity on that if anyone knows.

Second, information previously pointed towards Robison having $1.25M of his 2018 salary guaranteed. Was that incorrect? If not, Robison may essentially playing for free this year. Will Robison be getting $1.25M of the guaranteed salary plus the $1.015M minimum? Or did the guarantee contain offset language so the first $1.015M earned this year offsets and he still gets the full $1.25M?

Just now, Cearbhall said:

information previously pointed towards Robison having $1.25M of his 2018 salary guaranteed. Was that incorrect? If not, Robison may essentially playing for free this year. Will Robison be getting $1.25M of the guaranteed salary plus the $1.015M minimum? Or did the guarantee contain offset language so the first $1.015M earned this year offsets and he still gets the full $1.25M?

Had the same thought, thanks to our discussion here previously.

Figured it out — most of the reports of Robison’s 2017 deal mention $1.25M guaranteed. That’s based on reporting by Field Yates at ESPN, same guy who broke the details of the new contract this morning. 

But a separate report at the same time in March 2017 from Matt Vensel of the Star-Tribune says the 2018 guaranteed money was guaranteed for injury only: http://www.startribune.com/brian-robison-accepts-a-pay-cut-gets-another-year-on-his-contract/417019414/

In 2018, Robison, who will turn 34 next month, is slated to have a base salary of $3.2 million, $1.25 million of which is guaranteed for injury only, per a league source. That covers Robison in the event he suffers a major injury in 2017. But if Robison is healthy after this season, the Vikings can cut him with no salary cap ramifications if they would like to do so.

So that means the OTC chart showing nothing guaranteed for 2018 was correct, as guaranteed for injury only money isn’t fully guaranteed. 

I’ll make the same point I made earlier: offering Robison the vet minimum means the Vikings didn’t think they needed him back. Which makes me think they expect one of the young guys to step up and play at Robison’s level or better this year. I guess that’s Bower or Weatherly — hopefully Bower. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d easily put the Vikings d-line ahead of the Rams. Yes, the Rams have Aaron Donald and Suh, but they’ve got nothing at DE. 

Problem isn’t the ends. They’re an odd front now. Problem is the OLBs

Article includes the OLBs, Longacre and Ebukam. Rams also drafted Okoronkwo in the 5th, that’s all they’ve got for edge rushers. 

Rams are also given credit for Dom Easley as depth, coming off his 3rd ACL tear. Seems more likely he’ll retire than be a major contributor.

If the question is depth, Ethan Westbrooks is the only backup the Rams have who’d be OK as a spot starter. Basically they have 3 great players (Donald, Suh, Brockers) and little else.

Vikings depth looks thin right now but I think we’ll feel better about it after preseason — expecting a couple of the young guys to emerge and earn snaps as rotational players.

I expect Tashawn Bower and Jaleel Johnson to step up and help contribute this year. I'm confident they will.

and then one of Aruna, Weatherly or Odenigbo should be able to step up as the #5 DE.

Right now, we look thin, but I expect that opinion to change once we roll into the 2018 season.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived