Purple Haze - State of the Purple Pass Rush

VikeManDan

On Wednesday, Barr joined the Vikings defensive ends for a drill focused on bending around the edge. He later hopped in with linemen for a session focused on hand fighting. Barr did so while linebackers walked through coverages and assignments that have become second nature to him.

“There are certain things I feel like I understand now, being here five years,” Barr said. “Stuff I’ve done a thousand times now, where I feel they trust me to go do some other stuff. Being with the D-line for five to 10 minutes a day may not seem like a lot, but it adds up.”

The Vikings could get more out of Barr as a pass rusher, possibly even moving him around the defense to create matchup problems.

“Learning how to rush the passer from the end spot is going to help him when he’s coming from depth,” defensive end Brian Robison said. “I think it just adds another element to our defense that we can keep building on.”

http://www.startribune.com/with-handle-on-linebacker-drills-vikings-anthony-barr-gets-in-the-mix-with-defensive-linemen/485422181/#1

i'm glad that barr is getting some practice at DE but i doubt that translates to much this season, given that he wasn't the most productive pass rusher in college and has had very little experience since.

i think it's hard to imagine a recurring scenario where it's better to have barr-griffen-richardson-hunter on the line with kendricks and whatever linebacker (eric wilson, devante downs?) than bower (presumably)-griffen-richardson-hunter and barr-kendricks at linebacker behind them.

definitely a good plan though given our lack of (proven) depth. if either griffen or hunter go down for any period of time then our edge pressure will probably fall off a cliff.

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Robison looks so tiny

That's a camera effect -- wide angle lens. #95 Odenigbo (6'3" 258 at the combine) is the same size as Robison (6'3" 259) and I doubt he's wearing a helmet that's twice as big as BRob's.

10 minutes ago, Klomp said:

A very pleasant surprise. I just assumed we were done with the Vikings on the list, that Griff's poor second half of the year dropped him off the list since we hadn't seen him yet.

Apparently the ballots are sent out in November, so Griffen’s dominant stretch in the early part of the season might have been all he needed. 

16 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Apparently the ballots are sent out in November, so Griffen’s dominant stretch in the early part of the season might have been all he needed. 

Yeah, I had heard something similar earlier in the series. It's very possible/probable.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:48 PM, Krauser said:

That's a camera effect -- wide angle lens. #95 Odenigbo (6'3" 258 at the combine) is the same size as Robison (6'3" 259) and I doubt he's wearing a helmet that's twice as big as BRob's.

Actually B-Rob said he lost a significant amount of weight this offseason while on the Power Trip, he said he is now working on putting that back on before training camp.

but yes the camera is for sure making it even worse!

Archived