Purple Haze - State of the Purple Pass Rush

VikeManDan

12 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I was happy to see Zimmer stick to his word about rotating more DL in. Hopefully they're able to produce sooner rather than later. 

I don't think they'll get to play as much in GB unless they make an impact the first time they go in or the game gets out of hand either way. Hopefully the Bills game is an easier win and they get a chance to play more. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

We've speculated some on Barr playing DE with Griffen replacing Joseph at DT. I'm curious to see if anything ever happens with that. Obviously that is dependent on getting another Safety on the field, or Eric Wilson, in place of Barr's spot.

From what I saw at the time, Barr lined up at DE twice with Wilson as a nickel LB, didn't really generate any pressure. I didn't notice who played DT with Barr at DE. 

Matthew Coller's on the same beat: http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/09/assessing-vikings-defensive-line-rotation-week-1/

In a total of 41 pass rushing snaps combined, the four second-teamers came up with a total of zero pressures on quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. And of 19 players graded by PFF, the rotational D-linemen all graded in the bottom half.

That was, in part, because San Francisco head coach Kyle Shanahan attacked the backup linemen with a barrage of play-action plays.

All three completions during their brief second quarter appearance came on play-action and of a total of 12 passes that any backup appeared on the field, seven had some form of play-action element.

Zimmer acknowledged that it will take time to find out which combinations play best off each other, but said we may not see as much of the rotation against Green Bay this week.

“I think we’ll do a better job with it, and I think it’ll help us down the road but it will also help us in these particular games,” Zimmer said. “Now this week will be hard, because they won’t let us substitute, but we’ll just have to get out there and go.”

Interestingly we did not see much of linebacker Anthony Barr at defensive end. According to PFF, he played just nine snaps at the line of scrimmage on Sunday. Could that be next week’s wrinkle or was that the training camp smoke screen?

We can bet that there’s more tweaks to come from the D-line rotation as we go forward.

I think those snap counts for Barr at the LOS include him at LB coming up to the line not replacing Griffen or whoever, which IIRC happened only twice. 

33 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Tom Johnson was just cut by the Seahawks. Any interest in bringing him back for the season?

At his age, he is only productive on limited snaps.  I don't know if he could effective playing more than 25% of the downs, which might be okay if he is used as a situational pass rusher, the role he successfully played for us in the past.  If he plays too many downs, especially earlier downs, his weakness in run support is evident, and he loses his speed as a pass rusher.

They could just cut Parry, play Linval more on earlier downs and less in nickel pass rush situations. 

They need another interior pass rusher aside from the starting DTs. Holmes might be good but it looks like he’s going to be redshirted. Jaleel Johnson isn’t an effective pass rusher. Weatherly and Bower don’t line up inside. 

Archived