Purple Haze - State of the Purple Pass Rush

VikeManDan

Tarvares King was suppose to be the guy who could come in and stretch the field from time to time, he never seemed to pick up this offense during training camp. 

Robinson looks to be trying to fill in that role, and he does boast an impressive 17.2 ypc for his career (20.3 ypc while in Washington). 

Might be a guy who can catch a team off guard once in a while. 

9 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Have you seen Coley do much in the last year? He doesn't look very good. He is probably worth putting on the practice squad but if another team signs him it isn't exactly a big loss. The biggest loss is losing his experience with the team. There are lots of guys that can contribute as much as Coley has contributed.

The team has little at WR beyond the top two. Thankfully those two are great. Zylstra looks to have a fair amount of potential but right now potential is all that it is.

It was obvious to me in the preseason that the cupboard was pretty bare at WR beyond the top two and its been a concern. The only reason Coley ever made the team is that they didn't have much for options.

Beebe looked decent but is physically limited. Weineke showed a nice ability to get the ball but showed little ability to get open. That is somewhat owing to his athletic limitations that I believe will prevent him from ever making it in the NFL. For Treadwell it was the lack of alternatives and the guaranteed nature of his contract that got him a roster spot. Badet was just terrible but at least showed some speed. 

I don't expect much from Aldrick Robinson but it isn't hard to see why the team would rather roll the dice with someone other than who they already had as depth behind the top two WRs.

It will be interesting how Robinson does that is for sure.  Yes he is more accomplished as a pass catcher than Coley but Coley is a new player and has never been on the active roster much.  Heck Kendall Wright we cut earlier and he never made the team and he had almost more receiving yards in the NFL in one season than Robinson has had in his entire career.  Beebe I like, hopefully he gets a chance if some other guys go down at the position.  

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, that was a mistake big time especially when they got King and Wright who they brought in out of free agency who I assume got paid or were going to get paid similar to what Wright got. 

That is a poor assumption. They both were on near minimum deals so low that they were not going to count in the compensatory formula.

Personally, I believe the big mistake was counting on Treadwell for anything. It is worth holding out hope they can get something out of him but after his first two seasons it is borderline reckless to count on him. I don't actually think the team was counting on him but they were forced to use him as WR3 after the two swings and misses in free agency. I thought Kendall Wright was a pretty good swing and expected he would win the WR3 job. Even when he did nothing in the preseason I thought he would be given that job just for lack of competition. However, He must have been showing nothing in games because he was showing nothing in practice.

This may be Threadwell’s 3rd year in the NFL, but this is really the first time he’s truly been involved with the offense. The first time he’s had a QB who’s really looked in his direction. This is really the first adversity he’s faced  

I don’t think I’d bench him this week. He had a bad game, no ifs, ands or buts. Now it’s time to see how he responds. Does he fall apart, unable to get out of his own head like we saw with Troy Williamson? Or does he refocus, and make the routine catches? 

He is getting open. He is gaining separation. Can he fix the newest leak in his ship?

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This may be Threadwell’s 3rd year in the NFL, but this is really the first time he’s truly been involved with the offense. The first time he’s had a QB who’s really looked in his direction. This is really the first adversity he’s faced  

I don’t think I’d bench him this week. He had a bad game, no ifs, ands or buts. Now it’s time to see how he responds. Does he fall apart, unable to get out of his own head like we saw with Troy Williamson? Or does he refocus, and make the routine catches? 

He is getting open. He is gaining separation. Can he fix the newest leak in his ship?

I'd make him earn his worth on special teams if he's active. If Robinson plays right away as the 3rd WR, Treadwell will need to contribute elsewhere. I'd even consider an alternative at WR3 until Robinson is ready like Cook or a TE.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It'd be nice to see Jaleel Johnson and Tashawn Bower get more into the mix, but they're young and may hold some potential down the road.

I'm not confident that either will amount to anything. It would certainly be worth looking at more depth at those spots.

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

It'd be nice to see Jaleel Johnson and Tashawn Bower get more into the mix, but they're young and may hold some potential down the road.

It's nice to see that I can actually get in and post now.  :D  It must have been some major update glitch that caused the error.

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's nice to see that I can actually get in and post now.  :D  It must have been some major update glitch that caused the error.

Wasn't working for me this morning either. I figured the board software wanted to take a bye week break.

Archived