Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2018 (Tampa Bay at 1)

goldfishwars

I don’t know of any team that has the same GM responsible for the hands-down top draft one year (realizing things can change this early) and then a worst draft contender the following year.   O.o

I get it too but that’s a huge swing (realizing nothing is a given at this stage but still).   I have no reason to think Loomis had a fluke year in 2017 - what I think's happened is the same thing that hit Elway once DEN started contending - Loomis started to think in terms of 1-player away.   Davenport as an EDGE pass rusher was a guy he didn't want to miss out, and mortgaged the house to get him.   Which is fine if you are that type of team (1 guy away), and NO can make the argument hey are a legit SB contender (problem is, so are 3 other NFC powerhouses ATM).   But it sure does lead to an overall decrease in draft return, even accounting for the drop in draft position that comes with being a playoff team.  DEN certainly saw that from 2013-2017.

Edited by Broncofan

Just based on value added through this draft, any team with no 1st round pick will likely land in the late 20s at best. So goes the Chiefs draft. Their much panned drafts in 2016 and 2017 have worked out well. 

One thing I do not get is how anyone can say a draft containing Dorian o'Daniel lacks excitement. When discussing 2-gap DL players like Speaks and Nnadi, that's fair, but Do'D is excitement personified. So what if he barely made the top 100.;) More to the point of an evaluation, the defense lacked 2-gap players and now has two.

What stands out about the entire draft is not the flash but the grit. These are productive players that have shown real tenacity.  Veach said early and often that he wanted to transform the team attitude. Every pick fits the bill, except the last one and he's a project.

J

Was just thinking about this thread after i posted mine. Really looking forward to this. It was strange to see KC go all defense for 6 picks. Dont see that too often.

New Orleans draft was strange just because they traded up for a non-QB at the cost of a 1st next year. I will say though, it wasn't a horrible trade imo just because i love the Saints and think their 1st rounder next year will be very late so not a horrible value but Davenport isn't a finished product and the Saints window is closing i would assume

I liked alot of Seattle's picks but the 1st one was strange. I want Griffin to do so well but not for Seattle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Legit curious where you're putting the Texans at. No clue on public perception of their draft class.

Not having a 1st or 2nd will keep them on the lower side, but nabbing Reid where they did is a major steal. Plus, Coutee was a great get too. 

Guess that makes me curious too. 

• Like 1

I’ll add this to why many people are down on the Saints moving up to get a DE. Over the last 20 years only four times a team has moved up into the top half of the first round to get a DE. Those DE’s were Jerome McDougle, Damione Lewis, Derrick Harvey, and Brandon Graham. The first three were busts and it took Graham like 5 years just to become a starter. None of those teams gave up an additional 1st round pick in those trades. So history has shown what the Saints did doesn’t work that’s why it hasn’t happened much when teams trade up to get a DE and no team besides the Saints gave up an extra 1st round pick to do so.

I’m intrigued with Davenport but he isn’t a finished product. If the Saints was going to swing big, they should’ve tried to get up to 4 and taken Chubb. The Browns were willing to trade the pick and I think if the Saints were to have traded their 27th (1st round), 127th (4th round) overall picks plus 2019 1st round and 4th round picks to get up to 4, that couldve been enough. The Falcons gave up something similar in 2011 moving from 27 to 6 with the Browns to get Julio. People would still be critical of the Saints but at least getting Chubb who is a blue chip prospect right now would be better than Davenport who it could take years for him to reach his potential that is if he ever does.

Edited by stl4life07

29. Houston Texans

justinreid_dd2.png?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Pre-Draft Needs:

OL, TE, DB, WR

What They Had Heading into the Draft:

3. 68

3. 80

3. 98

4. 103

6. 177

6. 211

6. 214

7. 222

What They Had Leaving The Draft:

3. 68. Justin Reid [ S ] Stanford

3. 80. Martinas Rankin  [ OT ] Mississippi State

3. 98. Jordan Akins  [ TE ] UCF

4. 103. Keke Coutee  [ WR ] Texas Tech

6. 177. Duke Ejiofor  [ DE ] Wake Forest

6. 211. Jordan Thomas  [ TE ] Mississippi State

6. 214. Peter Kalambayi  [ LB ] Stanford

7. 222. Jermaine Kelly  [ CB ] San Jose State

Best Thing About This Draft:

Again, another team who’ll be happy with what they did last year and this year they have to take their medicine to a degree. Justin Reid was nice value at 68 after briefly flirting with 1st round consideration early in the process, he has versatility at both safety spots. Rarely out of position, he’s a quicker twitch athlete than his brother and has experience in the slot and deep middle.  Martinas Rankin is a decent attempt to shore up a troublesome tackle spot, although many see his future inside. He’s a good run blocker and moves well generally, but had some issues with speed around the edge in the last year. They also threw a couple of picks at a tight end position they just haven’t been able to nail down, so they’ve done they everything they can.

Worst Thing About This Draft:

A lot of holes on roster that was patched by a brief stretch of brilliance from Deshaun Watson last year. With no 1st or 2nd, they were never going to be filled in the draft after a quiet free agency period.  That’s the main reflection of their ranking here, rather than the players they took, which you can argue were a decent attempt to do just that. The offensive line and corner cupboard still looks a little understocked.

Late Round Gem:

Duke Ejiofor – Labrum surgery dropped him a couple of rounds, but there’s some stuff to like about him. He’s not a juiced up pass-rusher, but he’s good hand fighter and has some natural power on the edge.

What Else?

The players they took at troublesome spots were fine, but perhaps not the very best available. Joe Noteboom or Orlando Brown were taken after Rankin and Ian Thomas and Chris Herndon might have been better options than Jordan Akins. Akins is an oversized slot receiver with some athleticism to like, but that’s offset a little by the fact he’s already 26 years old. He needs to come in ready to play. Keke Coutee gives them an explosive element out of the slot, but was drafted ahead of better receivers. Houston look determined to field a consistent deep thread and he has the speed to give them that. The last three picks might have to find their way on special teams to get a look. Jordan Thomas is the most intriguing, a talented athlete and former basketball player. He’s played a number of spots in football, including offensive tackle which might be his best option moving forward.

• Like 2

Agree with the rankings so far. It was hard for teams like the Chiefs and Texans to have a great draft this year, although I think the Texans did well with getting Reid in the third round.

New Orleans had arguably the best draft last year, and now it looks like one of the worst drafts this year, although that could obviously change if Davenport turns into a stud in the pros. I just didn't like the idea of trading up for him while giving up a first next year.

As for Seattle, I like Penny. But it is a rather strange pick considering there were some offensive linemen available that would have made a lot of sense for them. It seems really strange that Schneider and company are completely reluctant to fix that offensive line.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

29. Houston Texans

Incredibly fair assessment overall, thanks for putting this together. Texans faithful kinda saw this coming, but given that the capital was spent on a potential franchise QB who looked downright special last season, it's a chance worth taking. 

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Jordan Thomas is the most intriguing, a talented athlete and former basketball player. He’s played a number of spots in football, including offensive tackle which might be his best option moving forward.

Now this I didn't know. This pick was a bit of a head scratcher with Jordan Akins being selected earlier... this might make more sense now.

Akins is an oversized slot receiver with some athleticism to like, but that’s offset a little by the fact he’s already 26 years old

The Texans coaching staff got a very good look at Akins in the Senior Bowl, so there was something in that week that really caught the attention of O'Brien and company. I'd prefer Ian Thomas, but not going to lose sleep over this for now.

Keke Coutee gives them an explosive element out of the slot, but was drafted ahead of better receivers

I think his specific experience in the slot and in the return game is what got him picked - the Texans tried desperately to turn Braxton Miller into this slot/return guy, but that simply didn't pan out. 

Duke Ejiofor – Labrum surgery dropped him a couple of rounds, but there’s some stuff to like about him. He’s not a juiced up pass-rusher, but he’s good hand fighter and has some natural power on the edge.

As a rotational body with Jadevion Clowney and Whitney Mercilius, you could do worse.

Justin Reid was nice value at 68 after briefly flirting with 1st round consideration early in the process, he has versatility at both safety spots

Reid wasn't even on my radar because I figured it was a foregone conclusion he'd be drafted by now. The one thing that has me thrilled over his chances is that he'll be working closely with Romeo Crennel and Tyrann Mathieu. Probably the best two possible mentors for him to refine his craft with - Reid should see the field quickly as a rookie (Texans run a lot of Nickel sets with 3 safeties) and will be first in line in 2019 for a starting role. Heck, he could beat out Andre Hal this TC/Preseason.

17 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Agree with the rankings so far. It was hard for teams like the Chiefs and Texans to have a great draft this year, although I think the Texans did well with getting Reid in the third round.

New Orleans had arguably the best draft last year, and now it looks like one of the worst drafts this year, although that could obviously change if Davenport turns into a stud in the pros. I just didn't like the idea of trading up for him while giving up a first next year.

As for Seattle, I like Penny. But it is a rather strange pick considering there were some offensive linemen available that would have made a lot of sense for them. It seems really strange that Schneider and company are completely reluctant to fix that offensive line.

Both teams took big hits last year for trading up for their QB.

J

15 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

You put the Saints 32nd. I'm afraid I have to kill you now.

Seriously tho, I get it, even though I think it's wrong.

Good thing their draft last year was so good. They REALLY need a QB though.