Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2018 (Tampa Bay at 1)

goldfishwars

On 2018-05-04 at 12:40 AM, goldfishwars said:

22. Minnesota Vikings...

Best Thing About This Draft:

I like Mike Hughes the player a lot and based on the fact he was my 16th overall player, I think he can be a very good player in Minnesota after they struggled to field reliable 3rd/4th corners last year. He can line up inside and out, he can press, mirror and flip his hips and he’s feisty too. 

Worst Thing About This Draft:

As much as I like Hughes, I’m wondering if that pick wouldn’t have been better served being spent on Will Hernandez to try and nail down a position on an interior which has dogged them for years. On a similar theme, Brian O’Neil offers great promise with his athletic profile – but that selection feels like something for the future and I’m not sure this team are in that mode right now. There are some serious technique and strength issues to work through with O'Neil, but the upside down the line is promising. Elsewhere, it was a little lacklustre, which isn’t something I’m used to saying about Minnesota’s drafts.

Late Round Gem:

Colby Gossett – A thickly built aggressive interior guard who played really well at the Senior Bowl. Worse prospects than him went earlier and despite not having world class feet, it wouldn’t surprise me see him challenging for a starting gig early.

What Else?

Of the two Ohio State defensive linemen coming out, Jalyn Holmes was my least favorite. I mean, it was kind of sad the way he got beat-up over and over at the Senior Bowl. He does have some versatility and depth is needed at both spots on the line. He’s got some length and strength and that’s how he wins, he’s particularly explosive. Tyler Conklin is a former basketball player, with some blocking ability and a nice set of athletic results at the combine. The Vikings traded up to get him, so he obviously has plenty they like. Daniel Karlson is a kicker built like a linebacker and possibly the best prospect in the class. He’s got a big leg and delivered in some big moments at Auburn. Ade Aruna is another basketball convert and has some inside/out versatility like Holmes. He's very raw at this moment in times. I don’t know anything about Devante Downs, I suspect he’s a special teams selection late on.

Good review. 

Agree that Hughes should be a good corner but using the pick on the OL would've done more for the team in the short run. 

O'Neill might end up starting even as a rookie. Even before the draft, reports were that Remmers was moving to RG. If he does, O'Neill just has to beat out Rashod Hill at RT. He has limited play strength but some upside blocking in space (outside zone, screens). The Vikings played Elflein last year as a day 2 rookie with similar pluses and minuses, losing too many 1-on-1 battles for lack of strength but making some very positive plays on the move. 

Gossett has a good chance to start if Remmers stays at tackle. RG would be between Gossett, Isidora (last year's 5th rounder, struggled in limited snaps as a rookie), journeyman Tom Compton and Eagles PS claim Josh Andrews.  

Either way, they probably have a rookie starting OL who isn't as good in his first year as Berger was last year. So the Vikings OL group should be at least a little worse off from the only-OK level they were at last year. They reportedly didn't consider Hernandez a scheme fit, but maybe Corbett or Williams or Daniels would've given them more immediate return on investment for their round 1 pick. 

Holmes is moving to DT. He played nickel DT on pass rush downs for OSU and he'll probably have a similar role with the Vikings. I guess he looked bad in the Senior Bowl drills, but he was good in the game itself, for what that's worth. 

Aruna is probably staying at edge/DE. He played out of position as a 3-4 DE last year and his production cratered, but he was better the year previous in a 4-3. Aruna's very raw and they already have a long list of late round developmental DEs (Weatherly, Odenigbo, Bower) with 1-2 years in the system, so he's probably a practice squad guy this year.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, pigsooie5 said:

Whitehair was drafted to play OG but was pushed to OC when Hronis Grasus got hurt and ended up thriving. If I had to take a guess at the Bears starting interior, it would be Kyle Long(LG), James Daniels(C), Cody Whitehair(RG).

left to right I think you will see Leno/Daniels/Whitehair/Long/Massie

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:57 PM, goldfishwars said:

Best Thing About This Draft:

Not a bad draft, not at all.

Endorsement of the year! 49ers obviously killed it

That's like meeting your friend's girlfriend for the first time and then someone asking you if shes hot... "well, she's not exactly ugly"

• Like 1

I myself wanted James over Vea at 12. I don’t see the pass rush ability in Vea that screams good value. If I’m taking a DT that high he needs to be able to do both. I guess they see Vea being able to get after it at the next level with McCoy. We’ll see, I think James will be a star player. 

Jones at 38 was good value. Needed a back with breakway ability. Everything else I agree on.

24 minutes ago, indifference said:

I myself wanted James over Vea at 12. I don’t see the pass rush ability in Vea that screams good value. If I’m taking a DT that high he needs to be able to do both. I guess they see Vea being able to get after it at the next level with McCoy. We’ll see, I think James will be a star player. 

Jones at 38 was good value. Needed a back with breakway ability. Everything else I agree on.

If Vea is only a run stuffer it's an awful pick. There are no 2 ways about it. 

I get the concerns that he got by using strength that NFL OL's will be able to counter.  It's just that Vea has athletic traits that are just unparalleled.    His speed & agility is something guys 30 lbs lighter can't match.   And we know his film and his motor are not in question.  His hand work to me stands out.   That's key, because we know he's going to face stronger guys, so he can't win quickly on pure strength alone.   

I would have gone James too ahead of Vea, but those 2 were the guys that stood out in that tier in Rd1.    DEN was all over him in a trade-back scenario with BUF at 1.12, and while I question a lot of what Elway does draft-wise (especially Day 2, although mercifully more Kubiak and/or analytics seem to have produced a much better overall draft this year, even factoring in the better draft spot), on D their track record early on is hard to argue with (not infallible, but harder to question in the same way as our pretty awful O record).

Edited by Broncofan

On 5/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, bucsfan333 said:

I don't really think Tampa Bay should be #1. I think they got two elite players with Vita Vea and MJ Stewart, but I didn't really like any of their other selections at all. It wasn't a bad draft, but I wouldn't have crowned this class as elite, even though they grabbed 2 of my favorite players. 

Great write-up goldfish! You're the man.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I really doubt that.

Well the tape really doubts your off-based opinion. Vea is an elite mover for a NT and consistently generates a pass rush against double teams. He doesn't have a lot of sack production, but he gets pressure regularly despite seeing a massive amount of attention his way. It's clear to me you've never seen him play if you're condemning him to being a run stuffer only guy.

• Like 1