Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2018 (Tampa Bay at 1)

goldfishwars

Back by extremely unpopular demand, I'm going to rank this year's draft classes by worst to best. This is an almost pointless exercise, so try not to be too upset if your team is ranked low. As we all know these front office guys and GMs don't know what they are doing and some random guy on the internet is here to tell us all where they went wrong. 

This year I've tried to take value into consideration, focusing on what team's went into the draft with and what they emerged with after three days of drafting. So any teams that picked up picks this year and next year, plus any players acquired during the draft is part of the equation. Obviously as well as value, positional and position, it's important to consider the players that were selected, how teams filled their needs and everything else I am not remotely qualified to give any valuable opinions on. 

Rankings:

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

2. Chicago Bears

3. Green Bay Packers

4. Baltimore Ravens

5. New York Jets

6. Dallas Cowboys

7. Cincinnati Bengals

8. Denver Broncos

9. Washington Redskins

10. Arizona Cardinals

11. Cleveland Browns

12. Jacksonville Jaguars

13. Indianapolis Colts

14. Atlanta Falcons

15. New York Giants

16. Miami Dolphins

17. Buffalo Bills

18. New England Patriots

19. LA Chargers

20. Carolina Panthers

21. Tennessee Titans

22. Minnesota Vikings

23. LA Rams 

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

25. San Francisco 49ers

26. Philadelphia Eagles

27. Oakland Raiders

28. Detroit Lions

29. Houston Texans

30. Seattle Seahawks 

31. Kansas City Chiefs

32. New Orleans Saints

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 11

32. New Orleans Saints

tempAP_18117070947011--nfl_mezz_1280_102

Pre-Draft Needs:

TE, LB, EDGE, QB

What They Had Heading into the Draft:

1. 27

3. 91

4. 127

5. 147

5. 164

6. 189

6. 201

7. 245

What They Had Leaving The Draft:

1. 14. Marcus Davenport [ DE ] UTSA

3. 91. Tre'Quan Smith [ WR ] UCF

4. 127. Rick Leonard [ OT ] Florida State

5. 164. Natrell Jamerson [ S ] Wisconsin

6. 189. Kamrin Moore [ CB ] Boston College

6. 201. Boston Scott [ RB ] Louisiana Tech

7. 245. Will Clapp [ C ] LSU

No 1st round pick in 2019

Best Thing About This Draft:

I guess it’s good that the front office identified something they desperately needed and did whatever it took to get it. They must have talked about it all off-season. They obviously didn’t think the pass-rush crop after Davenport was worth waiting for and that it was their last chance to fill a troublesome spot on their roster. And, they obviously really must have liked the player, too. He’s a naturally strong, lengthy ball of clay on the edge who makes the most of his tall frame to overwhelm blockers with a deadly combination of quickness and power. There’s plenty to like. Perhaps they felt they were a pass rusher away from getting to the promise land last year and to hell with everything else. Maybe they are right, recent success suggests they seem to know what they’re doing.

Worst Thing About This Draft:

There was a genuinely thrilling moment during the draft coverage when it was announced the Saints were coming all the way up from 27. Who was this mystery man they’re giving up next year’s 1st round pick for? It’s got to be a quarterback right? You don’t give up 1st round picks for non quarterbacks. It’s got to be Lamar Jackson, right? All the other big quarterbacks are off the board. We’re going to have a decade of pure offensive magic. The Saints love him, Sean Payton loves him. They said so. Imagine Lamar Jackson in a Sean Payton offense.

So, giving up next year’s 1 for a toolsy pass-rusher most like, but most feel needs some time to flourish, is a strange move and I like Davenport. Because on the one hand, it’s a ‘win now, this is the guy needed to get over the hump before Drew dies of old age’ decision. And, on the other, well, the kid probably needs a bit of time. He is good, he could be a real bully on the edge. The Saints have long had a pretty casual indifference for the value of draft picks and sometimes that leads them to the kind of all-time draft hauls they had last year and sometimes it ends up looking a little like this. Some of the needs they were expected to address, went unlooked at.

Late Round Gem:

Tiny Boston Scott (and he is tiny) was somewhat of a PFF darling. He’s got a bit of a Darren Sproles-ish, satellite back promise to his game and the New Orleans offense is a pretty great landing spot for anyone who has that skill-set. His size, or lack of, could be the main stumbling block to finding sustained success in the NFL.

What Else?

I liked Tre’Quan Smith, but maybe not 3rd round liked him, compared to where some of these other receivers landed. He’s savvy, he’ll work the seams as the Saints like their receivers to do, in a similar way to Willie Snead did. Rick Leonard was playing defensive end not too long ago and is only really a recent convert to tackle. It might be a while before that pick pays some dividends, although the athleticism is intriguing. I know little about the next two DB picks in Natrell Jamerson and Kamrin Moore. Perhaps I would think more highly of the draft as a whole if I did. Jamerson did a reverse Rick Leonard, going from offense to DB last year at Wisconsin and had a nice set of pro-day results. Moore feels like a special teams pick. Will Clapp was okay at LSU and has some versatility at a few spots, he feels like a swing guy at the next level.

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 3

31. Kansas City Chiefs

r363359_576x324_16-9.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

DL, CB, OL, S, EDGE

2. 54

3. 78

3. 86

4. 122

4. 124

7. 233

7. 243

2. 46. Breeland Speaks [ DE ] Ole Miss

3. 75. Derrick Nnadi [ DT ] Florida State

3. 100. Dorian O'Daniel [ LB ] Clemson

4. 124. Armani Watts [ S ] Texas A&M

6. 196. Tremon Smith [ CB ] Central Arkansas

6. 198. Kahlil McKenzie [ DT ] Tennessee

The best thing about this draft was the 1st round pick they gave up last year for what looks like an absolute baller of a QB who is already 100 times more fun to watch than Alex Smith. The second best thing was the brief moment of excitement felt when we were told the Chiefs were desperate to come up the board. Who was this mystery man they lead them to feel so compelled to throw caution to the wind? Well, when they did make the move, it was Breeland Speaks and nobody could really muster much of a response. Was Breeland Speaks worth coming up to 46 for? He's got some athleticism, plays with a real edge and has a bit of pass-rush, not sure if he plays outside or inside in KC. But to answer the question, I'd say not. 

I think the worst thing about this draft is the lack of things I really have to say about it, good or bad. Pretty much every player they picked lacks excitement. Much of that is due the lack of the 1st round pick and obviously wanting to nail down aspects of their defense they were unhappy with. It’s certainly not a bad draft, but perhaps one lacking in stardust. The trade up for Speaks, who I kind of like but not overly, felt unnecessary to a complete outsider. But then apparently teams were clamouring to draft Rashad Penny at the end of round 1 – so sometimes we just don’t know. Not offensive line picks, even for depth, was a bit of a surprise. It looks kind of thin there. 

Late Round Gem:

Tremon Smith was a First-Team All-Southland Conference selection in each of the last three seasons. I just googled that. Pretty cool, I think. He’s also a 4.3 forty guy and has some kick return ability.

What Else?

I think Speaks has an athletic profile which translates well to how he’s going to be used. Nnadi is an unathletic strong man, who played well at Florida State and landed pretty much where he was expected to. KC have had their issues defending the run and he can help be part of a rotation that helps with that. Dorian O'Daniel is a hybrid LB/S that can find a role next to Ragland, or in sub packages. He can run and cover a bit, potentially he's an upgrade to Daniel Sorenson's sub package dimebacker role. Armani Watts has some versatility at both safety spots, I thought he was absolutely fine. I thought Khalil McKenzie was okay at Tennesse, very much a run defender only. 

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yup - sorry. 

Haha cAlled it

For what it's worth, Speaks is going to play outside. The GM likens him to Tamba Hali, and the athletic profiles are similar. 

Khalil McKenzie is converting to guard. They're pretty excited about it, at his pro day he worked out there and impressed. He was also our last pick we didn't draft the southern miss corner

O'Daniel should be the new dimebacker, we signed hitchens in FA to start next to Ragland.

not a very exciting draft but we went after specifi c needs

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

Love the write ups and opinion given

Heads up - Cornell Armstrong 209 was drafted by Dolphins.

Yeah, sorted that. My bad for exporting the Wikipedia table into Excel right after the draft, they hadn't updated the pick. 

30. Seattle Seahawks

poster_2dfc875b549c4c7581c94d10034713d0_

Pre-Draft Needs:

OL, S, WR, TE, DL

1. 18

4. 120

5. 141

5. 146

5. 168

7. 226

7. 248

7. 250

1. 27. Rashaad Penny [ RB ] San Diego State

3. 79. Rasheem Green [ DE ] USC

4. 120. Will Dissly [ TE ] Washington

5. 141. Shaquem Griffin [ LB ] UCF

5. 146. Tre Flowers [ S ] Oklahoma State

5. 149. Michael Dickson [ P ] Texas

5. 168. Jamarco Jones [ OT ] Ohio State

6. 186. Jacob Martin [ LB ] Temple

7. 220. Alex McGough [ QB ] Florida International

The trade down was very sensible in the 1st round. Other than that, the obvious answer is Shaquem Griffin. I really love his story and I particularly love the landing spot. I legit yelled and punched the air when he got drafted by Seattle. He’s a good player too and there’s presumably a natural fit for him in the old Bruce Irvin role, coming off the edge from the outside linebacker spot. He can back-up KJ Wright on the weakside too. This isn’t just a feel good story, even though it is one.

There was no way they were going to patch up a roster full of holes in one draft, especially with a serious lack of draft capital with no 2nd and 3rd round pick. But for the love of God, why take a running back who few thought belonged in the 1st round when there was a number of quality interior lineman waiting for you after the trade back? I’ll never understand the think tank in Seattle when it comes to the first round of the NFL draft.

Late Round Gem:

Michael Dickson – By all accounts one of the better punters to come out in years and so no reason why he can’t be a staple contributor at the position for many years. Many thought he could go on day two, so he’s actually pretty good value here in the 5th in what was considered a rare excellent year for the position.

What Else?

I mean, Penny is fine – there’s plenty of stuff to like, he breaks tackles, he finishes runs. I’m not sure he’ll get away with running so upright in the NFL though and Seattle have struggled to keep anyone healthy the second they’ve shown something. Rash Green is a fairly decent pick-up in the 3rd, he’s got some inside/out ability on a defensive line which a little thinner than recent previous incarnations. Some people liked him a lot more than others. Will Dissly is good at blocking and Mayock likes him a lot, he’ll slot into Luke Willson’s old role presumably. Although Nick Vannett is kind of a similar sort of tight end. Which ones gets to catch passes? Tre Flowers is a big, athletic safety with some issues in coverage. Perhaps he can audition for Kam’s role if he’s never the same again. Jamarco Jones was a welcome offensive line addition and fell a little further than expected after a solid year starting at Ohio State. A poor athletic performance caused a few concerns there, I think. Jacob Martin and Alex McGough and both have a chance to compete for back-up spots.

• Like 1