Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2018 (Tampa Bay at 1)

goldfishwars

• 4 years later...
On 5/9/2018 at 2:21 PM, goldfishwars said:

7.  Cincinnati Bengals

WCPO_billy_price_bengals_1524870362637_8

Pre-Draft Needs:

OL, LB, QB, CB

What They Had Heading into the Draft:

1. 21

2. 46

3. 77

3. 100

4. 112

5. 151

5. 158

5. 170

7. 249

7. 252

7. 253

What They Had Leaving The Draft:

1. 21. Billy Price  [ C ] Ohio State

2. 54. Jessie Bates III  [ S ] Wake Forest

3. 77. Sam Hubbard  [ DE ] Ohio State

3. 78. Malik Jefferson  [ LB ] Texas

4. 112. Mark Walton  [ RB ] Miami (FL)

5. 151. Davontae Harris  [ CB ] Illinois State

5. 158. Andrew Brown  [ DE ] Virginia

5. 170. Darius Phillips  [ CB ] Western Michigan

7. 249. Logan Woodside  [ QB ] Toledo

7. 252. Rod Taylor  [ G ] Ole Miss

7. 253. Auden Tate  [ WR ] Florida State

Best Thing About This Draft:

They drafted a lot of players, which is a strategy I abide by. Give yourself more chances to hit, players get injured, players flame out. Give yourself more bites of them apples. They also got some good players, particularly those first three picks, but at other spots too. Billy Price doesn’t feel like a consolation for missing out on Ragnow (if that's what happened). Yes, he has the pec injury and that may force him to miss early development time, but it doesn't sound like we’re talking about a medical redshirt here. On the field, he’s fast out of his stance and plays with a high level of aggression and technique. He should slot right in at center when he’s healthy which would be a big upgrade for a team that has got by, at best, at that position for a while. Jessie Bates is a free safety who can wreak havoc on a team's deep passing offense, he gives the Bengals some range at the back end and gives Teryl Austin a chance to play around with three safety looks. Sam Hubbard gets to stay in Ohio and at pick 77, that feels further than most thought he would go. A more athletic Rob Ninkovich has been thrown around as a comparison and that sounds about right. The Bengals are really building their options at defensive end.  

Worst Thing About This Draft:

Well, they could have chucked a pick on a quarterback that might have put some heat on Dalton, perhaps a Kyle Lauletta who slipped a bit – but that wasn’t going to happen. Perhaps a second earlier offensive line selection would have given them more options at tackle or guard. 

Late Round Gem:

Darius Phillips – Played wide receiver at Western Michigan, before converting to corner of years ago and turned those ball-skills into an ability to turn the ball over. He’s smaller in stature which makes him a more natural fit for the slot, which fits his skill-set well.

What Else?

They needed some help at linebacker, which has been an issue for a long while now. This time last year, Malik Jefferson was a hot name as a potential first round pick. This year he lands in the 3rd round. He’s not the most instinctive player I’ve seen at the position, but he is decent in space and can blitz. There’s plenty to work with. I love the Walton pick at 112, he feels like a natural replacement for Gio Bernard. Coming off ankle surgery Walton might not see the field this year, Cinci’s record with rookies is anything to go by. But, he capable of becoming a real mismatch weapon out of the backfield when he's ready. 

Davontae Harris gives the team yet more options at the back end, either at corner or safety. I don't know a huge amount about him, other than that. Andrew Brown never fulfilled his five star potential at Virginia, but flashed here and there. He has some inside/out ability on a line which is building up some quality depth. His future might be better served as an attacking three tech to be groomed behind Geno Atkins, he's at his best when he's able to just tee off. 

Logan Woodside was a shot to nothing in the 7th, I quite liked him as a late round lottery ticket. He's has some obvious limitations, but he's smart and can execute a quick passing attack. Rod Taylor is another former five star recruit, I'm not sure if that was by accident or design. He's had some off-field issues and was recently right tackle at 6'3, but very much has the look of a guard. He moves well, but looks like he's carrying a lot of bad weight. Everyone loved Auden Tate as a huge physical receiver until ran like Orlando Brown. His best work comes in the red zone where he can show off his soft hands and body control, that's where he can shine. 

I just remembered that Marvin Lewis tried to announce his retirement at the end of last season and Mike Brown basically wouldn't allow it. Did it actually happen like that? Either way that's a weird set-up there. 

Had we been actually able to secure Ragnow instead of settling for Billy Price, we may have deserved this ranking.  Turns out he was a consolation prize, and the wrong one at that.  James Daniels was preferred by most Bengals fans.  Also a bad idea to take guys coming off injury who can't test.

Jessie Bates was a home run pick, but I get why the Bengals didn't re-sign him after 5 years as they don't want to put that much money into safety.  They prioritize CB and Edge in their scheme, and maybe spend a little more if you have a special skill set like DJ Reader.

Hubbard has been a rock solid starter who is one of the better run defending edges in the NFL and provides a modicum of pass rushing juice as well.  He got his second contract, unlike Bates.

Phillips showed a lot of promise for a couple years before he fizzled out and then got injured.  Not sure what he's up to nowadays.

Jefferson never did learn those instincts.

Walton never flashed and was out after a year or two.

Auden Tate is still bouncing around, i think with the Falcons.  Dude has an insane catch radius, but consistent he is not.

• Like 1