Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2018 (Tampa Bay at 1)

goldfishwars

7 hours ago, EddieGeorge27 said:

I do like/love every guy that the giants took. But it feels like such a mistake to not take a QB there. The question ends up how good does this draft class need to be to not be a disappointment for missing out on a franchise QB. 

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I have to believe they passed on a franchise QB in this draft. One of Darnold/Rosen/Allen is going to be a hit, if not all of them.

I think Eli crashes harder than people think.

They did get great value in every selection though. I loved their draft when having to concede the fact that they weren't going to take a QB.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Barkley was the best player in the draft. They made the right decision 

First sentence correct. Second sentence incorrect.

This pick isn't going to haunt them or anything, but they're going to need a QB better than Lauletta/Webb if they want to seriously compete down the line. & their days of being an elite team under Eli Manning are long gone.

• Like 1

where would the eagles rank when you consider the trades for wentz, ajayi and darby that made us have no picks?

Also the eagles took care of linebacker issue during the offseason when they re-sgined bradham, kept kendricks, return a healthy hicks and then signed two linebacker to be good depth. Like that situation went from potential disaster to what should be a strong unit on the team. 

Edited by ninjapirate

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I have to believe they passed on a franchise QB in this draft. One of Darnold/Rosen/Allen is going to be a hit, if not all of them.

They did get great value in every selection though. I loved their draft when having to concede the fact that they weren't going to take a QB.

I agree. They should have gone Rosen who is the QB most similar in play style to Eli and let him learn for a year or two.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

With Shurmur running the show, I think Eli has a bounceback season. I think the football community as a whole underrates the impact an actually good coach can have on a quarterback and an offense, and I think Shurmur is an actual good coach. I'm watching back Vikings games from last season and I'm coming away more and more impressed with not only his ability to get the most out of his players and play to their strengths, but his ability to adapt with no players inserted into the lineup as well. I don't see why Eli can't have the season Keenum had last year; the offense is more talented than the one in Minny, Eli is much more experienced than Keenum, and contrary to popular belief here, Eli has not lost anything physically. After more film review, he displays some lazy behaviors that got him in trouble a lot last year, but they are easily things Shurmur can disguise/fix. Maybe I'm just being optomistic, but from a technical standpoint, knowing why Eli struggled last year and knowing Shurmur's strengths as an offensive mind and playcaller, Eli should have a good year. 

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

With Shurmur running the show, I think Eli has a bounceback season. I think the football community as a whole underrates the impact an actually good coach can have on a quarterback and an offense, and I think Shurmur is an actual good coach. I'm watching back Vikings games from last season and I'm coming away more and more impressed with not only his ability to get the most out of his players and play to their strengths, but his ability to adapt with no players inserted into the lineup as well. I don't see why Eli can't have the season Keenum had last year; the offense is more talented than the one in Minny, Eli is much more experienced than Keenum, and contrary to popular belief here, Eli has not lost anything physically. After more film review, he displays some lazy behaviors that got him in trouble a lot last year, but they are easily things Shurmur can disguise/fix. Maybe I'm just being optomistic, but from a technical standpoint, knowing why Eli struggled last year and knowing Shurmur's strengths as an offensive mind and playcaller, Eli should have a good year. 

Don’t disagree with any of this. 

I think the biggest worry you have to have is A) how the players respond to the coaching and B) how Shurmur acts as a HC compared to an OC. With B, lots of coaches are great coordinators but tend to lose sight of their bread-and-butter once they get more responsibility. Gus Bradley, Wade Phillips, Mike McCoy, Marc Trestman, to name a few. 

I don’t know how Shurmur will do, but he’s got comparable - if not greater - offensive talent in NY, so he won’t have any excuses. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Don’t disagree with any of this. 

I think the biggest worry you have to have is A) how the players respond to the coaching and B) how Shurmur acts as a HC compared to an OC. With B, lots of coaches are great coordinators but tend to lose sight of their bread-and-butter once they get more responsibility. Gus Bradley, Wade Phillips, Mike McCoy, Marc Trestman, to name a few. 

I don’t know how Shurmur will do, but he’s got comparable - if not greater - offensive talent in NY, so he won’t have any excuses. 

B is definitely something to keep an eye on. He's said all the right things so far, as far as learning from his first experience as HC in Cleveland. The players are buying in wholeheartedly so far- there is more team bonding going on already than there was all last year. If Shurmur and the Giants fail, it will be because Shurmur isn't head coaching material. 

• Like 1

13. Indianapolis Colts

Quenton-Nelson-678x381.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

OL, CB, RB, EDGE, WR, LB,

What They Had Heading into the Draft:

1. 6

2. 36

2. 37

2. 49

3. 67

4. 104

5. 140

6. 178

7. 221

What They Had Leaving The Draft:

1. 6. Quenton Nelson  [ G ] Notre Dame

2. 36. Darius Leonard  [ LB ] South Carolina State

2. 37. Braden Smith  [ G ] Auburn

2. 52. Kemoko Turay  [ DE ] Rutgers

2. 64. Tyquan Lewis  [ DE ] Ohio State

4. 104. Nyheim Hines  [ RB ] NC State

5. 159. Daurice Fountain  [ WR ] Northern Iowa

5. 169. Jordan Wilkins  [ RB ] Ole Miss

6. 185. Deon Cain  [ WR ] Clemson

7. 221. Matthew Adams  [ LB ] Houston

7. 235. Zaire Franklin  [ LB ] Syracuse

Best Thing About This Draft:

The best thing about the draft was the trade with the Jets before it happened. It was the right thing to do, the Colts had one of the worst looking rosters in the league and needed to fill spots with talent. They got some good players too. Nelson is such a perfect guard prospects that he breaks the mold to a point where he’s difficult to resist at the very top of any draft, especially this one. They went back to that well to take Braden Smith too, who was in my top 50. He’s a bendy interior blocker who absolutely erased Christian Wilkins in the Clemson matchup. Despite his narrower frame, he’s got some surprising power and athleticism to get up field in a hurry, he’s looked dominant in the run game at times.  Although the Colts line has been steadily improving, these two picks could take them beyond simply creeping back towards average.

Worst Thing About This Draft:

I don't dislike the draft selections, I think I would be spent those picks a little differently. The Nelson pick was actually a surprise and even though I’ve got him rated higher and I obviously don’t hate it, perhaps the bigger impact would have been felt if they had taken Roquan or Chubb there with some good interior lineman still available in round 2. The two late-ish darts at the wide receiver spots felt like an after-thought and neither of those players are sure things and both went ahead of Equanimeous St. Brown and Credrick Wilson. Next year’s corners (barring a trade) are: Quincy Wilson, Kenny Moore, Nate Hairston, Pierre Desir and Kenneth Acker. They could have done better to address that in a deep corner class. 

Late Round Gem:

Zaire Franklin – Hey guess what? He’s a really fast linebacker who tested in the 88.7th percentile as an athlete. Three-time captain at Syracuse, who was absolutely loved on that program. I would not be surprised to see him make the team, at all.

What Else?

With 11 picks in total, there is plenty else. I liked the Darius Leonard pick, he was everywhere at the Senior Bowl – a fast and active linebacker. Kemoko Turay is a toolsy pass-rusher with a weird off and on career at Rutgers, it was a little early for my liking - but there's stuff to like. Tyquan Lewis made it a double-dip of edge players in the second round, he’s a heavy handed edge setter who didn’t light up the stat sheet at Ohio State like he could have. Nyheim Hines gives them some serious speed and pass-catching options out of the backfield, I guess he's going to be the scat back alternative to Marlon Mack without a heavier hitter around. 

Daurice Fountain has a great name, a classic height/weight/speed prospect with a few things to work on. Deon Cain flashed as a deep threat for Clemson and showed up in some big spots, he’s had a few issues with drops - but brings some playmaking ability to the perimeter. Jordan Wilkins is a bigger back I didn’t really like all that much from what I saw and I don’t know much about Matthew Adams, other than he had a reputation for big hits according to a youtube video called ‘Matthew Adams: Hardest Hits in College’.

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 3

12. Jacksonville Jaguars

20180426-caldwell.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

QB, OL, TE, WR, LB

1. 29

2. 61

3. 93

4. 129

6. 203

7. 230

1. 29. Taven Bryan  [ DT ] Florida

2. 61. DJ Chark  [ WR ] LSU

3. 93. Ronnie Harrison  [ S ] Alabama

4. 129. Will Richardson  [ OT ] NC State

6. 203. Tanner Lee  [ QB ] Nebraska

7. 230. Leon Jacobs  [ OLB ] Wisconsin

7. 247. Logan Cooke  [ P ] Mississippi State

They got some good players in this draft. I like the Taven Bryan pick, sometimes you’ve got to recognise what you do well and keep plugging away. Ensuring you're really good in one area is one way to draft for success in the NFL. He’s hugely athletic and naturally strong and they have to luxury to bring him on slowly because he’s had some issues matching the athleticism to consistent production. But the ceiling is high and he’s a gift to any co-ordinator who likes to create consistent chaos up front.

I wonder how long and hard they looked at Lamar at 29? Probably not that long, I don’t see him being a Coughlin or Marrone sort of player and clearly this is a another vote of confidence for Blake. I guess Austin Seferian-Jenkins now gets a clean run at the tight end gig. Paul Posluszny’s old middle linebacker spot was expected to have been auditioned for by a draft pick, but I’m guessing Blair Brown slides in there? Maybe they have a separate plan for that, I don’t know. None of these are problems on a stacked roster, but areas that were expected to be looked at.

Late Round Gem:

Leon Jacobs – Have you seen this dude’s arms? I’d give him a PED suspension purely out of speculation, those are unnatural. Seriously, google this dude. He was a really good run defender on the edge at Wisconsin this year, after converting from middle linebacker. He had a very impressive combine and might be able to work his way onto the roster as a Mr Do-it-all.

What Else?

If nothing else, DJ Chark could become a decent deep threat at the next level. Easy deep speed like he has is pretty rare and it’s a nice fit with what the Jaguars want to do, suck teams in and let Blake blaze it over the top to his quicks. Ronnie Harrison looks like a pure value pick-up in the 3rd. I don’t know why he dropped, many expected him to land in the first round. At 6’3 and near 220, he’s an imposing figure at the back end, but his size doesn’t limit his ability to play deeper and he showed some range and versatility at Alabama. His best asset might be tracking and erasing tight ends at the next level. The Jags have a get-out clause with Barry Church after this coming season and might choose to save some cash now Harrison is here.

I liked the Will Richardson pick-up, the Jags needed some depth on the offensive line and he was absolutely fine at NC State. He’s a huge man and whilst it doesn’t always look pretty, he didn’t allow a sack or pressure all of 2017. I don’t really have very strong opinions at all on Tanner Lee. It’s a good landing spot for him if they want to keep three quarterbacks around. Logan Cooke was a punter that was a little off my radar, is he good? He’s 6’5 and 240 pounds which is pretty cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

They got some good players in this draft. I like the Taven Bryan pick, sometimes you’ve got to recognise what you do well and keep plugging away. Ensuring you're really good in one area is one way to draft for success in the NFL. He’s hugely athletic and naturally strong and they have to luxury to bring him on slowly because he’s had some issues matching the athleticism to consistent production. But the ceiling is high and he’s a gift to any co-ordinator who likes to create consistent chaos up front.

I wonder how long and hard they looked at Lamar at 29? Probably not that long, I don’t see him being a Coughlin or Marrone sort of player and clearly this is a another vote of confidence for Blake. I guess Austin Seferian-Jenkins now gets a clean run at the tight end gig. Paul Posluszny’s old middle linebacker spot was expected to have been auditioned for by a draft pick, but I’m guessing Blair Brown slides in there? Maybe they have a separate plan for that, I don’t know. None of these are problems on a stacked roster, but areas that were expected to be looked at.

Late Round Gem:

Leon Jacobs – Have you seen this dude’s arms? I’d give him a PED suspension purely out of speculation, those are unnatural. Seriously, google this dude. He was a really good run defender on the edge at Wisconsin this year, after converting from middle linebacker. He had a very impressive combine and might be able to work his way onto the roster as a Mr Do-it-all.

What Else?

If nothing else, DJ Chark could become a decent deep threat at the next level. Easy deep speed like he has is pretty rare and it’s a nice fit with what the Jaguars want to do, suck teams in and let Blake blaze it over the top to his quicks. Ronnie Harrison looks like a pure value pick-up in the 3rd. I don’t know why he dropped, many expected him to land in the first round. At 6’3 and near 220, he’s an imposing figure at the back end, but his size doesn’t limit his ability to play deeper and he showed some range and versatility at Alabama. His best asset might be tracking and erasing tight ends at the next level. The Jags have a get-out clause with Barry Church after this coming season and might choose to save some cash now Harrison is here.

I liked the Will Richardson pick-up, the Jags needed some depth on the offensive line and he was absolutely fine at NC State. He’s a huge man and whilst it doesn’t always look pretty, he didn’t allow a sack or pressure all of 2017. I don’t really have very strong opinions at all on Tanner Lee. It’s a good landing spot for him if they want to keep three quarterbacks around. Logan Cooke was a punter that was a little off my radar, is he good? He’s 6’5 and 240 pounds which is pretty cool.

Good assessment of Bryan

I think some of us are wondering how long they thought about Lamar Jackson but i think you're right in saying its more a vote of confidence in Blake than anything. I think we all are surprised we didnt go TE at all. Cant get a decent pick everywhere but I agree ASJ and co isn't enough at TE going former imo. They have been talking a while about moving Jack to MLB but Brown will be in the mix.

Most of our selections appear to be future moves because we cant keep everyone on the defense so we sort of punted a few needs hoping that lower tier FA adds can make an impact until the draft next year. 

I think this was a pretty fair assessment. I think the lack of immediate need picks probably keeps us out of a lot of Top-10 picks but honestly I'm not splitting hairs over 2 spots. Great job GFW 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

14. Atlanta Falcons

I suppose, you could argue that just the one pick at defensive tackle when two might have been a better. I really quite liked what I saw out of Deadrin Senat, but they might be relying on him to be ready to go. Outside of Grady Jarrett, you’re looking at guys like Jack Crawford, Garrison Smith and Joey Ivey to contribute.

As always I really like reading your thoughts in these rankings. Thanks for putting in the effort once again.

I get your concerns with only adding 1 DT in the draft but I'm not too worried about it (yet). I wonder if TD and co are actually anticipating the deep DT draft next year, I always have the idea the Falcons seem to be looking at deep groups for next years draft when deciding a pick. Personally I would have liked some extra competition at RG but I get the FO thinking they have enough competition for now with Schweitzer, Harlow, Garland and maybe even Fusco.

• Like 1

11. Cleveland Browns

bakermayfieldisexcited.jpg?quality=95&w=

Pre-Draft Needs:

QB, OT, DL, CB

1. 1

1. 4

2. 33

2. 35

2. 64

4. 114

5. 150

6. 175

6. 188

7. 247

1. 1. Baker Mayfield  [ QB ] Oklahoma

1. 4. Denzel Ward  [ CB ] Ohio State

2. 33. Austin Corbett  [ G ] Nevada

2. 35. Nick Chubb  [ RB ] Georgia

3. 67. Chad Thomas  [ DE ] Miami (FL)

4. 105. Antonio Callaway  [ WR ] Florida

5. 150. Genard Avery  [ LB ] Memphis

6. 175. Damion Ratley  [ WR ] Texas A&M

6. 188. Simeon Thomas  [ CB ] Louisiana

I liked that they took the QB they liked the most, not the guy they felt compelled to take. Mayfield was frequently compared to Johnny Manziel, rightly or wrongly (wrongly) and that alone makes it a gutsy move, let alone the size and personality stuff. It's kind cool that they drafted the analytics darling but, presumably, did so for footballing reasons based purely on the old school 'football guys' within in the Cleveland brain trust. Perhaps Mayfield will simply get the fans and his teammates pumped up in a way that Darnold with his cooler demeanour perhaps wouldn’t do. It’s a bit like Josh Allen in Buffalo, this just feels like a nice fit for reasons that have nothing to do with actual football. On the field he's an accurate thrower who thrives in chaos and has an unnatural sixth sense for escaping pressure. He’s also shown more arm strength than what used to be a criticism of him and is deadly on tight window throws with A+ ball placement. If you take him, you’ve got to embrace an abrasive side of his personality that threatens to overboil at times. Because his teammates will rally to it if his time at Oklahoma is anything to go by.

They had an absolute arsenal of draft capital to work with at the top of the draft and I like what they did in general, some of it was a little bit up and down. You can argue the Mayfield pick, I’m fine with it. Ward over Chubb was also a minor surprise and I love Ward. I think, based purely on what the Eagles achieved last year, I would rather have a horde of pass-rushers than a really good corner who fits a need. That’s kinda nitpicky though. It’s kind of similar for different reasons with Austin Corbett and Nick Chubb. Both are very good players, I just always envisioned Corbett playing inside, where he looked great at the Senior Bowl, but that’s where we’ve seen the heaviest investments in Cleveland. Plus, they traded for Carlos Hyde before the draft and have a pretty established 3rd down back. Maybe there’s a really good short term plan that's not obvious right now, or just a solid long-term one that’ll work them in when they’re ready.

Late Round Gem:

Genard Avery – LBC got me onto him, he lined up off the ball and on the edge at Memphis. He’s like a missile in the run game and has some skill as an outside pass-rusher too. I like him quite a bit more than Joe Schobert who was probably a similar prospect coming out of Wisconsin last year and played a lot of snaps in Cleveland in his first season. 

What Else?

Ward is a slightly undersized, but plays big at the position and does it with an advanced intelligence. Plus, he has ridiculous leaping ability which allows him to compete with bigger receivers in the air. He allowed just 30% of passes to be completed in his direction over the past two years at Ohio State. I wonder if they want to see Austin Corbett can live at tackle, that’s where the help is needed after Joe Thomas retired. He’s another easy moving lineman, with light balanced feet but plays with an edge and has enough core strength to drop back on. Nick Chubb, for my money, was the best inside runner in the draft. It’s a miracle he can even walk, let alone test out like one of the best athletes coming out.

I couldn't quite get a feel for Chad Thomas. He looked like a long, athletic and powerful five tech/LDE on tape and then tested out not great. He’s got some inside/out versatility and could be a useful run defender if nothing else. Antonio Callaway is a explosive talent at wide receiver, but he was a car crash at being a human even before the weed bust. I just don’t think Dorsey can resist a bad boy. Damion Ratley had an insane 23 yards per catch at Texas A&M, he’s a deep threat and very little else at this point - but a good one. Simeon Thomas I don't really know other than he's a 6'3 dude who plays defensive back. 

• Like 1