Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2018 (Tampa Bay at 1)

goldfishwars

26. Philadelphia Eagles

goedert_wentz_thumb.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

WR, LB, OL, RB, CB, TE

What They Had Heading into the Draft:

1. 32

4. 130

4. 132

5. 156

5. 169

6. 206

What They Had Leaving The Draft:

2. 49. Dallas Goedert  [ TE ] South Dakota State

4. 125. Avonte Maddox  [ CB ] Pittsburgh

4. 130. Josh Sweat  [ DE ] Florida State

6. 206. Matt Pryor  [ OT ] TCU

7. 233. Jordan Mailata  [ T ]

Baltimore’s 2nd round pick in 2019

Best Thing About This Draft:

Other than David Akers and his squeaky voiced WWE Manager trolling of the Cowboys. The trade back to the Ravens 2 from next year and then the troll up past the Cowboys to draft the best tight end in the draft was pretty sweet. Goedart’s athleticism is clear on screen where he showed an unusual amount of explosion off the line for a tight end. Arguably his most effective trait at the next level may come as a go-to red zone receiver with a whole host of spectacular catches at South Dakota State in that area. Gives Philly options with the Ertz contract looming and they liked to mix things up there regardless.  

Worst Thing About This Draft:

Few picks and few needs meant the Eagles weren’t intending to make a splash at this year’s draft. That roster is looking extremely handsome at most spots and this draft gives them an extra dusting of intriguing talents. Receiver and linebacker were expected to see some attention, but it's not exactly disastrous at those spots. 

Late Round Gem:

Jordan Mailata – Look I know these things never work out, he’ll be cut and million times and never end up on a roster. But it’s a lot of fun eh? And if there’s a 5% chance it does work out, then he’s an incredibly athletically intriguing get here if nothing else.

What Else?

They apparently like Avonte Maddox enough to think he can challenge right away for play time in the slot. I know there was a little bit of a buzz about him after an impressive workout, but I remember him having a really hard time against James Washington in their encounter. Josh Sweat had some buzz of his own as a very high draft pick after great workout numbers. By all accounts, there’s still concerns about the catastrophic knee injury he suffered at Florida State – but he played well as a run defender there last year and gives the Eagles even more depth at a strong position. The Eagles need to start grooming Jason Peters’ successor and Matt Pryor is an enormous, toolsy tackle with a reputation for laziness-  but he could be useful depth to have around.

• Like 1

25. San Francisco 49ers

rcmkzinyy8svx4yuvtb1.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

EDGE, OL, WR, CB, LB, TE

1. 9

2. 59

3. 70

3. 74

4. 128

5. 143

6. 184

7. 223

7. 240

1. 9. Mike McGlinchey  [ OT ] Notre Dame

2. 44. Dante Pettis  [ WR ] Washington

3. 70. Fred Warner  [ LB ] BYU

3. 95. Tarvarius Moore  [ S ] Southern Miss

4. 128. Kentavius Street  [ DE ] NC State

5. 142. D. J. Reed  [ CB ] Kansas State

6. 184. Marcell Harris  [ S ] Florida

7. 223. Jullian Taylor  [ DT ] Temple

7. 240. Richie James  [ WR ] Middle Tennessee

Not a bad draft, not at all. They picked a few players I liked, Dante Pettis, Fred Warner and DJ Reed. I think Pettis is dynamic and a smart route runner, but not sure his skillset is all that dissimilar to what they have. I liked him a lot, but perhaps not as much as Anthony Miller or Dallas Goedert taken a few spots later.  Warner was a hot name heading into the draft, he’s more of a safety/linebacker hybrid than a traditional linebacker. Someone who’ll impact the passing game, rather than built to snuff out the run game. DJ Reed can play a role in the slot, he’s undersized but a good run defender and a natural mover in coverage.

A lot of smaller dudes too, by design or what I'm not sure. It felt a little reachy at a few spots where better prospects at the same position group were lurking. That was kicked off by the selection of Mike McGlinchey when some big names were on the board and the phone was probably ringing off the hook with offers from teams wanting to get to Rosen. McGlinchey is a bit of an enigma, perfectly sized, a good run blocker – but decent pass-rushers found ways to beat him too often. I get the pick, someone was taking him high given the positional value.

Not getting better options at edge was probably frustrating for a fanbase who were pinning their hopes on it. A 4th round pick on a dinged-up 5-tech tweener probably won’t cut it. He’s physically gifted for sure, but this feels like an old Baalke red-shirt draft pick and not many of those panned out. Linebacker still looks thin if Reuben Foster is out. Could they have taken a tight end? They must like George Kittle a lot.

Late Round Gem:

DJ Reed - I don’t know much about the last three picks, but I did like the DJ Reed selection. He’s probably a slot only at the next level given his size, but he’s aggressive as hell and plays a physical style game which is well suited to that spot. He’s a good kick returner too, which always helps.

What Else?

Tarvarius Moore was a name that popped up out of nowhere around a week before the draft after a pretty eye popping set of pro day results. He’s obviously an impressive athlete and has good experience at safety, he’s built to play in deeper coverage. Marcell Harris missed the whole of 2017 with an injury, I didn’t get to see him – that feels like a special teams selection. Jullian Taylor is built similarly to Armstead and Buckner, a tall angular defensive tackle. He’s another size/speed projection, but has a chance with thinner depth there. Richie James is yet another smaller framed receiver with some speed and impressive playmaking ability, particularly in 2016.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

27. Oakland Raiders

grudensmilefield.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

LB, DL, CB, WR, OL

1. 10

2. 41

3. 75

4. 110

5. 159

5. 173

6. 185

6. 212

6. 216

6. 217

7. 228

1. 15. Kolton Miller  [ OT ] UCLA

2. 57. P. J. Hall  [ DT ] Sam Houston State

3. 65. Brandon Parker  [ OT ] North Carolina A&T

3. 87. Arden Key  [ DE ] LSU

4. 110. Nick Nelson  [ CB ] Wisconsin

5. 140. Maurice Hurst  [ DT ] Michigan

5. 173. Johnny Townsend  [ P ] Florida

6. 216. Azeem Victor  [ LB ] Washington

7. 228. Marcell Ateman  [ WR ] Oklahoma State

Additional Pick-up: Martavis Bryant [ WR ] in a trade from Pittsburgh

I love this draft man, it's absolutely hilarious and entertained me greatly over the three days. It could be amazing, it could be terrible. I liked the pick-up of Martavis Bryant, even though he comes with his own personality problems (more the merrier, eh?). The entertainment value was high and I probably liked the 5th round dart throw at Maurice Hurt the most. Even if he appears to have a pretty significant heart related concern. People tried to make out it was like the Star Lotulelei situation a few years back, but five rounds of draft picks between them now suggests otherwise. He’s absolutely a first round talent and even if this condition means he isn't able to forge an NFL career, giving up a 5th rounder to find out is nothing to worry about.

Man, you've give it them for taking some shots here, but this is one powder keg of a draft haul. I don't know how you cut your punter to send a message about trouble makers and then promptly drafted Arden Key and trade for Martavis Bryant, but here we are. I mean, nearly every selection is loaded with high bust potential, with the exception of a couple of dart throws on falling prospects.There were plenty of rumors that Kolton Miller was going to be the pick in the first round and that Tom Cable had infiltrated the brain trust and was driving the That’s a funky offensive line situation there, a lot of mixed skill-sets and Miller has some significant strength and technique issues to work through. They were heavily linked with the draft’s best linebackers pre-draft, but ended up with a 6th round selection on a player with several of his own off-field incidents. Azeem Victor is a decent downhill hitter, but he’s had weight issues and struggles in space. This isn’t the Roquan Smith selection we were promised.

Late Round Gem:

Marcell Ateman – Outside of Maurice Hurst, Oakland have thrown a number of darts at the receiver position after Michael Crabtree’s departure. Whilst I’m not Ateman’s biggest fan after a pretty disappointing week in Mobile, he was very productive at Oklahome State and he's got some red zone receiver qualities to his game. A 7th round pick is a thrifty piece of business in return that's for sure. I like him better than Jaleel Scott, who went in the 4th round to Oakland and they have similar games.

What Else?

PJ Hall had a monster pro day, throwing up linebacker numbers as a 300 pound defensive lineman. It’s a tiny programme at Sam Houston State, so there’ll be some acclimatising to do and there’s some surprise he went ahead of more vaunted prospects in BJ Hill and Nathan Shepherd. Brandon Parker is a hugely proportioned right tackle, again from a tiny school which may or may not prevent him from shining early. This feels like a pick for next year with some lower-ceilinged pro-ready tackles coming off the board after his selection.

A 3rd for Arden Key feels a little rich, despite his big-time potential as a pure pass rusher. There’s some serious, serious concerns about his well-being off the field. But, if they can get him back to where it was all headed in 2016, then fantastic. That feels like a long shot right now. I liked the Nick Nelson pick, the injury probably dropped him a little. But when he’s back healthy he’s got a chance to play and they might need him to right away after looking at who’s slotted to start right now. The Raiders were always going to take a punter and Michael Townsend was probably a very smaller tier below Dickson and Scott, but still considered a very draftable prospect at the position.

Certainly a lot of question marks here, but at least the players involved have a huge potential upside! Kolton Miller was going to be a 1st rounder for somebody, just went a bit high for my flavour, but while his game needs work, he will play LT, a position that will protect their once injured QB and he has a huge upside if he can approach a Solder like level.

PJ Hall absolutely tore up his Pro Day and could be a real steal of the draft.

Brandon Parker is also quite raw, but has decent RT starting potential.

Key in the 3rd is a high risk pick with a boom or bust potential.

and Hurst in the 5th is a doctor's call and I guess Oakland's doctor OK'd the pick!

The punter crop for this draft is suppose to be very solid, so the Townsend pick looks good.

I will say this, few drafts carry 6 possible starters for any team and if just 3 of these guys come through, Oakland could be very big winners over the next few seasons.

A 'B' based on potential alone!!!

23 hours ago, Danger said:

Brees will play this year and 2019. Saints don't have a 1st round pick until 2020, so good luck getting a decent QB prospect.

Brees is not going to be replaces with a decent QB prospect ... they will need to go thru a write off year ... and make the decision the following year

23 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I am not much for ranking drafts right after they are done. It is all supposition based on practically nothing except someone perception of how they think players were ranked, when in fact, we have no idea how other teams viewed these prospects except tidbits from ex scouts on NFL.com and last I looked they are exactly that, ex scouts who nobody wants to hire any longer at their former profession and Mayock who isn't perfect either.

I prefer to wait a couple of years to really decide who the winners and losers are!!!

Sometimes networks might pay more, that in combination of not being on the grind throughout the year might be welcoming so some ex scouts.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

NFL_Draft_Football_95848-780x520.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

S, ILB, QB, RB

1. 28

2. 60

3. 92

5. 148

5. 165

7 220

7. 246

1. 28. Terrell Edmunds  [ S ] Virginia Tech

2. 60. James Washington  [ WR ] Oklahoma State

3. 76. Mason Rudolph  [ QB ] Oklahoma State

3. 92. Chukwuma Okorafor  [ OT ] Western Michigan

5. 148. Marcus Allen  [ S ] Penn State

5. 165. Jaylen Samuels  [ FB ] NC State

7. 246. Joshua Frazier  [ DT ] Alabama

I did like the James Washington pick, Pittsburgh knows what to do with players with his skillset and slots in nicely as the third receiver there. He had crazy production and an insane YPC at Oklahoma St. albeit in a conference which isn’t known for defensive play. Three years of 1,000+ yards and 10+ TD’s, which is almost unheard of in prospects coming out now. He should slot right in as the third receiver there with Martavis gone and he blends in nicely with what they already have there.

The Steelers rarely move down the board to create additional value, I don’t know why – but perhaps they just don’t have a particularly nimble front office. It was a little like that with the Artie Burns pick a couple of years ago, when people thought they could trade down and still get him. Perhaps it's a similar situation with Terrell Edmunds. I get that the big linebacker names off the boar, but this was a leftfield choice and the Rashard Penny selection just before perhaps buffered that shock slightly. They needed help at safety and Edmunds is a very impressive athlete, with some excellent movement skills – but the tape is pretty patchy. I don't think they can just plug him in. Did they confused him with his brother? That lack of an inside linebacker selection anywhere is more than a bit glaring, unless Edmunds and Allen are part of a scheme-based solution to the holes there.

Late Round Gem:

Jaylen Samuels – I don’t know what he is yet, a running back (he was announced as one) or a tight end or an H-back – he’s possibly going to be all of those things and someone who can alos contribute on special teams. I do think he’s someone who will hang around in various roles for a while his versatility doesn't hurt him, he’s a got a lot to offer.

What Else?

I didn’t love Mason Rudolph as a 1st round pick, but 3rd round seems about right to take a QB of his calibre and give him a real close look. He can play within the pocket and is a very good downfield passer. But he’s more of pusher than a thrower and doesn’t chuck it with much anticipation at this point. With Joshua Dobbs selected last year, I wonder if this selection tells us more about Dobbs or Big Ben at this point. The Steelers have lost tackles over the past couple of years, so the Okorafor makes sense for their depth. He’s nicely sized and moves well, but is a little underpowered at this point. Munchak has worked magic with less talent. Marcus Allen is a busy box safety, who plays well close to the line and has some limitations doing much more than that. The Steelers now have a bunch of similar safeties, so not sure what the plan is there. Joshua Frazier is a large run stuffer with some athletic limitations.

• Like 3

23. LA Rams

GettyImages-620354022.jpg

Pre-Draft Needs:

EDGE, LB, OL

3. 87

4. 111

4. 135

4. 136

6. 176

6. 183

6. 194

6. 195

6. 196

3. 89. Joseph Noteboom  [ OT ] TCU

4. 111. Brian Allen  [ C ] Michigan State

4. 135. John Franklin-Myers  [ DE ] Stephen F. Austin

5. 147. Micah Kiser  [ LB ] Virginia

5. 160. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo  [ LB ] Oklahoma

6. 176. John Kelly  [ RB ] Tennessee

6. 192. Jamil Demby  [ OT ] Maine

6. 195. Sebastian Joseph  [ DT ] Rutgers

6. 205. Trevon Young  [ DE ] Louisville

7. 231. Travin Howard  [ LB ] TCU

7. 244. Justin Lawler  [ DE ] SMU

They didn’t have a pick until 87 after the Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters (and Aqib Talib trades), but were generally able to spend them pretty much as well as they could and on obvious positions of need. Edge rusher, in particular, was becoming an urgent need and in a thin class they’ve scratched off a few promising looking lotto tickets. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo was productive at Oklahoma and tested well, he has some size concerns but was not expected to be there in the 5th. He had a good week at the Senior Bowl. Trevon Young looked great at Louisville before breaking his hip and hasn’t quite looked the same again. Perhaps that’s a situation that improves. Justin Lawler was insanely productive at SMU, but was not a particularly good athletic tester. One of these players comes through to be a significant contributor, it wouldn't surprise me at all. 

I mean, it lacks real stardust because of the lack of draft capital they had heading into the draft. I wasn’t particularly big on Brian Allen, he's okay - kind of squatty and competes well. John Franklin-Myers passed me by as a prospect, so I’d say I like their picks outside of the 4th round more than those two. 

Late Round Gem:

John Kelly – I liked Kelly, he’s not a foundation back at 5’9 and 215 pounds – but he’s an angry runner with some make you miss in the open field. He caught 37 passes last year too, so he’s got some ability in the passing game which is so important in LA’s offense. 

What Else?

Joseph Noteboom was my favorite mid round developmental tackle, I think he’s got the tools to be a starter down the line – so this is a sweet landing spot for him to learn behind one of the best. Micah Kiser is pretty good as a downhill run defender from linebacker. I didn’t see a lot of Jamil Demby, he's got some natural power and size but he didn’t seem to be a particularly good mover at the combine. That was backed up in some below average testing. Sebastian Joseph has a good get-off, but not the production to go with that. Travin Howard is very fast and very light for a linebacker at 215 pounds. Again, he’s probably that safety/linebacker hybrid who fits better on sub-packages and special teams if he makes the 53. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

John Franklin-Myers passed me by as a prospect, so I’d say I like their picks outside of the 4th round more than those two. 

Franklin-Meyers was one of my sleeper picks to outplay his draft slot. He's really, really powerful. I think they'll try him inside, but he has the athleticism to play base end before kicking inside to just get after the passer. He played DE at 300 pounds last year. Low level of competition, but he just mauled people. Big, tough, nasty, athletic players are going to do well for the Rams. Love his tenacity and aggression.

• Like 1

22. Minnesota Vikings

videothumbnail_7aefc7fcf0254f409a0da90be

Pre-Draft Needs:

OL, CB, DL

1. 30

2. 62

3. 94

5. 167

6. 204

6. 213

6. 218

7. 225

1. 30. Mike Hughes  [ CB ] UCF

2. 62. Brian O'Neill  [ OT ] Pittsburgh

4. 102. Jalyn Holmes  [ DE ] Ohio State

5. 157. Tyler Conklin  [ TE ] Central Michigan

5. 167. Daniel Carlson  [ K ] Auburn

6. 213. Colby Gossett  [ G ] Appalachian State

6. 218. Ade Aruna  [ DE ] Tulane

7. 225. Devante Downs  [ LB ] California

I like Mike Hughes the player a lot and based on the fact he was my 16th overall player, I think he can be a very good player in Minnesota after they struggled to field reliable 3rd/4th corners last year. He can line up inside and out, he can press, mirror and flip his hips and he’s feisty too. 

As much as I like Hughes, I’m wondering if that pick wouldn’t have been better served being spent on Will Hernandez to try and nail down a position on an interior which has dogged them for years. On a similar theme, Brian O’Neil offers great promise with his athletic profile – but that selection feels like something for the future and I’m not sure this team are in that mode right now. There are some serious technique and strength issues to work through with O'Neil, but the upside down the line is promising. Elsewhere, it was a little lacklustre, which isn’t something I’m used to saying about Minnesota’s drafts.

Late Round Gem:

Colby Gossett – A thickly built aggressive interior guard who played really well at the Senior Bowl. Worse prospects than him went earlier and despite not having world class feet, it wouldn’t surprise me see him challenging for a starting gig early.

What Else?

Of the two Ohio State defensive linemen coming out, Jalyn Holmes was my least favorite. I mean, it was kind of sad the way he got beat-up over and over at the Senior Bowl. He does have some versatility and depth is needed at both spots on the line. He’s got some length and strength and that’s how he wins, he’s particularly explosive. Tyler Conklin is a former basketball player, with some blocking ability and a nice set of athletic results at the combine. The Vikings traded up to get him, so he obviously has plenty they like. Daniel Karlson is a kicker built like a linebacker and possibly the best prospect in the class. He’s got a big leg and delivered in some big moments at Auburn. Ade Aruna is another basketball convert and has some inside/out versatility like Holmes. He's very raw at this moment in times. I don’t know anything about Devante Downs, I suspect he’s a special teams selection late on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Devante Downs, I suspect he’s a special teams selection late on.

All about health. He was incredibly productive prior to injury. He's a big, fluid mover who only played in 6 games this season, but put up the following statline: 65 tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks, four quarterback hurries and two interceptions. If he recovers, I believe he'll challenge for reps soon; he's got the makeup of a future three down player (or four down, as you mention). 

Sorry to jump in twice like this. Great series. Hope I'm helping with some extra details.

• Like 1