Will new WRs be better than last years rookies?

James Lofton

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Jordy just wasn't in the plan moving forward, just wasn't.  He's such a part of the Raiders plan that after signing him they have traded for M Bryant and Switzer from Dallas.  Maybe they finally watched some film from last year. Or Gruden has just been playing Madden for a few years.

Davis is coming into his third year.  He still has something that can't be taught- speed.  I look for him to take a step up.  I don't know that Yancey has shown anything yet and it is also Allison's third year.  Looking for him to be more polished this year also.  Clark excited the staff about what a big body type could do, so they went out and drafted three big bodies that really were WRs.  Clark is gone.  Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, Moore and St Brown with VS going to practice squad with Yancey.

So does everyone else competing for the backhalf of depth chart at WR. Not sure the guy has shown he can be a reliable receiver the past 2 years. He's just like Janis to me, not gonna be much more than a Special Teams guy. Hope I'm wrong and he shows something more, but drafting 3 WRs isn't a good sign for those backhalf guys from last year.

5 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

So does everyone else competing for the backhalf of depth chart at WR. Not sure the guy has shown he can be a reliable receiver the past 2 years. He's just like Janis to me, not gonna be much more than a Special Teams guy. Hope I'm wrong and he shows something more, but drafting 3 WRs isn't a good sign for those backhalf guys from last year.

True, but...there is an axiom that says, especially WRs, the third year is when they either step up or step out.  I've seen Davis and Allison get a little better and now it's time emerge.  The three 3rd day picks were for competition and that ploy will work, but I only see one or two of them making the 53 with the others on PS.

Remember how many wanted D Adams gone after two years and then he busted through.  Davis isn't quite that talented, but he does have some raw talent.  Like Kevin Greene would say, "now is the time".

If I include Graham in the WR room, GB has 3, 1,000 yard seasons from that entire room.  Cobb has one (that's it).  Graham has two.  Obviously Adams has a 998 yard season and should have had 1,000 last year if he didn't shut it down due to those head shots, but still.

If Rodgers is going to get his yearly average, and I'll maintain he will....guys need to step up.

Could be a good season, fantasy wise, to snag Cobb in the late rounds.  I think he is in a contract year.

Guessing that one of either Allison or Davis gets to the 500 yard plateu.  Thinking Allison.

Graham is going to be a 750+ yard TE...and I'd argue maybe even more.

Thinking that a rookie will get 20 catches and 400 yards.

GB has to replace a lot of production and they need to do it with guys who haven't yet shown the ability to produce those numbers.  Going to be interesting to watch.  And when I say interesting, I mean clunky to start.

Remember how many wanted D Adams gone after two years and then he busted through.  Davis isn't quite that talented, but he does have some raw talent.  Like Kevin Greene would say, "now is the time".

Ya but Adams at least showed something in the receiving game early on . Again I hope I'm wrong but my gut is telling me he's not gonna turn into that outside reciever this year. If he makes it it's for his return ability, and maybe that may not be enough with these draft picks coming in if they show promise.

8 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

True, but...there is an axiom that says, especially WRs, the third year is when they either step up or step out.  I've seen Davis and Allison get a little better and now it's time emerge.  The three 3rd day picks were for competition and that ploy will work, but I only see one or two of them making the 53 with the others on PS.

I think MVS takes Davis' spot. He has more value as a gunner than Davis has as a returner. It's about special teams! I also think they try to replace Allison with a Graham-type WR. A proven vet with a year or two left, but not as pricey as Graham. Don't know if someone like that will come on the market, but that would be ideal. But what do I know? I think, therefore I am. Whatever. Please training camp, get here soon!

This is another excellent post from PackerRaymond,  talking about route running, I pulled it from another thread. Shines some light on what we're looking for from the new guys and the incumbents at WR and reminds us how fortunate we are here in the Titletown Forum to have high quality posters willing to share their insight.

"Route running is such a process that there isn't one thing I can look at and say that player will be good and that won't.

I mean you're even starting with alignment and spacing. Knowing your route, the route of the guy next to you and how they relate. Before the ball is even snapped you can screw up a route by being off the ball when you're supposed to be on, or too close to the slot receiver, etc... This is the mental aspect of playing receiver. The ability to know the routes and the play and how not only yours, but everyone else's interact and how you can best utilize that.

Then at the snap is the stem. The first three steps. This is when you're on the attack as a WR. Your goal is to obviously turn the DB. To do so your first three steps need to properly attack him. If you turn him the way you're breaking towards than you won't get open. Depending on the route you'll either attack his inside/outside shoulder/hip. Usually a deep route you'll go directly head on and force the DB to try and turn at full speed. Tight hipped DBs will always lose ground that way.

Then there is the most obvious top of the route. There it really is all about making ever step count. Every false step is a chance for the DB to catch back up and make a play on the ball. On deep routes with no break you need to stack the DB, make it so he has to play through you to get to the ball. Even in the case of an underthrow lots of times you can get a DPI if you've stacked your DB behind you instead of letting him run side by side.

So it's tough to take one aspect and look for it to say "that's a good route runner." Usually the guys who run good routes do so from a young age, and guys that struggle from the start never really get it. Routes are one thing that usually translate pretty simply from college to pros. It definitely takes more than just speed."

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

...If Rodgers is going to get his yearly average, and I'll maintain he will....guys need to step up.....  Guessing that one of either Allison or Davis gets to the 500 yard plateu.  Thinking Allison.   Graham is going to be a 750+ yard TE...and I'd argue maybe even more.    Thinking that a rookie will get 20 catches and 400 yards.

GB has to replace a lot of production and they need to do it with guys who haven't yet shown the ability to produce those numbers.  Going to be interesting to watch.  And when I say interesting, I mean clunky to start.

Good post. Yes, some guys are going to need to step up.  Don't know who, don't know how, but there is just SO MUCH OPPORTUNITY.  Somebody's got to.  Rodgers is going to throw the ball and get some yards and get some TD's; somebody is going to end up getting those snaps, getting some targets, getting some catches, getting some TD's, getting some yards.  We can all only guess how that's all going to shake out, between Allison/Davis/Yancey/rookies/Graham/Byrd/Kendricks/RB's.  But we just know when you've got a great QB that he's going to throw, whether guys are open or not; and some of those throws are going to turn into yards.  We need guys to step up.  But whether they do or don't, there is just SO MUCH OPPORTUNITY. 

Even if guys aren't efficient at getting open or running routes or making catches, there is going to be a certain volume of targets that will inevitably turn into some volume of receptions and yards.  Even Allison can provide some, even if nobody else steps up.  

The risk, of course, is that the efficiency will be just too low.  That it will all be too clunky and too forced.  We love Rodgers; but with a potentially clunky o-line and clunky receiving group, there is the risk that not even Rodgers can make it work, and that we'll be seeing a LOT of punts.  

That's part of the fun of the story.  I totally can't anticipate the ending.  Chance for lots of plot twists and turns.  And there is totally the opportunity for a lot of happy ending, and almost-too-good-to-be-true.  Got a chance to be a really interesting and surprising movie.  

11 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Yancey was literally the worst WR in TC last year. I'm not sure how many times I can remind people of this. 

Hopefully that changes, or MM has a variably more positive view. 

• Wasn't Yancey injured for some of camp?  I'm wondering if the camp view was necessarily representative?  
  • Were you at all of the practices, or just some of them? 
  • I do recall some comment that Yancey had tried to "build up" for NFL, and perhaps compromised his flexibility?  Perhaps that will be corrected by NFL training staff, and he'll look way different/better this year?  
  • I've been enthused about the "athleticism" scores for so many of our 3rd-day and UDFA guys.  But....
  • I recall Yancey scoring *very* well on those Sparq athleticism scores.   I know he wasn't a blazer speed-wise, but I thought the "athleticism" metrics were highly favorable....
  • Not sure what to make of the inconsistency between his Sparq/combine athleticism metrics and being the worst WR or stiff-as-a-board guy.  Perhaps the Sparq is potentially representative, and there was something "wrong" last camp that will be "right" this year?  So we might see a whole new man?  Or, perhaps it's a reflection that these "athleticism" metrics are often pretty worthless, and have nothing to do with whether Yancey can actually be any good as a WR.   And whether our other 3rd-day/UDFA "measurables" stars will have any better chance of translating their SPARQ stuff into actual NFL quality is case with Yancey or Amichia?

8 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I don't see the Adams and Davis comparison.  Davante Adams had multiple games his rookie year that were more productive than Trevor Davis entire NFL career.  Trevor Davis hasn't looked like he has any business being on the field with the offense, the same can't be said about Adams at this same point in their careers.  Davis has NO WHERE NEAR the talent that Adams does.  Go check out his college tape.  He was JAG who was reached for  because he ran fast in gym shorts.  At no time in college did he ever consistently look like he was going to be a NFL caliber WR.  Davante Adams on the other hand was one of the most productive players in college football..  His last year at Fresno was more productive that Trevor Davis' entire 4 year college football career. 

I think Davis is a long **** to make the roster.

27 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't see the Adams and Davis comparison.  Davante Adams had multiple games his rookie year that were mores successful than Trevor Davis entire NFL career.  Trevor Davis hasn't looked like he has any business being on the field with the offense, the same can't be said about Adams first 2 years.  Davis isn't NO WHERE NEAR the talent that Adams is.  Go check out his college tape.  He was JAG who was reached for  because he ran fast in gym shorts.  At no time in college did he ever consistently look like he was going to be a NFL caliber WR.  Davante Adams on the other hand was one of the most productive players in college football..  His last year at Fresno was more productive that Trevor Davis' entire 4 year college football career. 

I think Davis is a long **** to make the roster.

Nice rant.  Pull your undies out of your butt now. 

The only thing I compared them about was that it sometimes takes 3 years for a WR to show.  I admitted Davis didn't have Adams talent, but I think you were more interested in complaining again.  Davis was a 4th round pick and IF he is going to show anything worth keeping it'll be this year.

On packers.com right now... a fluff piece about DeAngelo Yancey. The one interesting take away, for a few weeks there last season Yancey was running routes for Rodgers on scout team.

Doesnt mean much but as it’s been stated before... getting Rodgers trust is the fastest way onto the field. Plus he apparently dropped 10-15 lbs and is running at 210. 

Yancey dropped weight this offseason to help him run routes. Sounds like he is showing discipline and a commitment to his craft.

Also, forget about Trevor Davis. He can’t play WR (too small) and Jaire Alexander will run circles around him in the punt game.

36 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Yancey dropped weight this offseason to help him run routes. Sounds like he is showing discipline and a commitment to his craft.

Also, forget about Trevor Davis. He can’t play WR (too small) and Jaire Alexander will run circles around him in the punt game.

Since when is 6'1 192 too small to play WR?

Not saying I believe in him as a WR but it has nothing to do with his size.

Archived