Will new WRs be better than last years rookies?

James Lofton

59 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

J'Mon Moore will be starting for us by week 3, if not sooner. 

Hey, here's hoping.

I would see Adams do some crazy good stuff in practice. He has very sweet feet! But in his earliest games he just wasn't where AR needed him and drives would stall due to nothing more than Adam's lack of experience. Can Moore accelerate that learning curve from two years to five months?

I'll fly a Packer flag from my truck in hopes that it happens!

33 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Hey, here's hoping.

I would see Adams do some crazy good stuff in practice. He has very sweet feet! But in his earliest games he just wasn't where AR needed him and drives would stall due to nothing more than Adam's lack of experience. Can Moore accelerate that learning curve from two years to five months?

I'll fly a Packer flag from my truck in hopes that it happens!

I am hopeful that MM completely overhauling the playbook this year results in more opportunities for talented young pass receivers.

Graham, Moore, ESB, etc are all going into their first year with Rodgers. If we want the most out if the roster, MM and AR need to craft an offer see that gets them involved sooner than later.

Gone are the days of Jennings, Jordy, Driver, Jones, etc. coming back every year. Somethings gotta change. And sounds like MM realizes this.

Well they will be better than last years picks.  Can't be worse.  Think Moore has the best shot of contributing in year 1.  Hope all 3 guys make the squad.  Throw them into the fire i say.  Moore should be starting day 1.  The other two guys as role players and special teams.  Packers are generally conservative but to see Allison starting would be a disappointment to me.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Well they will be better than last years picks.  Can't be worse.  Think Moore has the best shot of contributing in year 1.  Hope all 3 guys make the squad.  Throw them into the fire i say.  Moore should be starting day 1.  The other two guys as role players and special teams.  Packers are generally conservative but to see Allison starting would be a disappointment to me.  

I dont have a problem with Allison being in the mix. I'm not dedicated to an "out with the old / in with the new" philosophy.

#81's tall, has good hands and receiving habits ; knows the playbook ; knows AR and the scramble drill ; has produced for the team already. Lets not chuck that out the door w/o seeing how he's evolved in year three. IMO he showed better "quicks" last year after receiving the ball - so change is possible. The only thing he lacks IMO is straight away speed. There's lots of WRs in the NFL that dont have breakaway speed and they either "enhance" other receiving skills to make up for it - or they get challenged and potentially replaced.

Davis has only shown glimpses at WR. He'll have to step up if he wants snaps on offense.

Clark, Yancey and the new guys - have shown nothing yet.

So - lets welcome Allison to another year of growing and see what transpires. If nothing else he provides depth in case of injury that can keep the train moving till that starter returns. 

As much as I like Allison he's just not good enough.  He has a role and does have a knack for making a play here and there.  He should be on the team as insurance because of his experience although limited.  Only way to integrate these guys is trial by fire.  Moore isn't going to improve sitting on the bench.  Get him on the outside and turn him loose.  Packers need to get outside of the comfort zone.  No use for Davis.  Let him compete in TC but the light better turn on.  Haven't been impressed with him it all.  Don't like him as a returner either.  Alexander should assume those duties going forward.  Unless Davis takes a giant leap up as a receiver he won't make it.

12 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

As much as I like Allison he's just not good enough.  He has a role and does have a knack for making a play here and there.  He should be on the team as insurance because of his experience although limited.  Only way to integrate these guys is trial by fire.  Moore isn't going to improve sitting on the bench.  Get him on the outside and turn him loose.  Packers need to get outside of the comfort zone.  No use for Davis.  Let him compete in TC but the light better turn on.  Haven't been impressed with him it all.  Don't like him as a returner either.  Alexander should assume those duties going forward.  Unless Davis takes a giant leap up as a receiver he won't make it.

I see no good reason to expose a starter to return duties. Thats ultimately a losing sum game cause they're abscence due to injury while returning would be compounded on the unit they're front line performers on.

Cobb does returns - gets hurt - who's our slot guy on O?

JA does returns - gets hurt - who's our slot guy on D?

The "rotational demands" that would place on those units personnel and potential drop off in production - isnt worth it IMO. I dont see the benefit and see far more risk.

Exposure or "trial by fire" is a nice concept - but the player has to have a clue what he's doing. Had we drafted a WR @ #1? Perhaps I'd see their path to starting right away. But I think our guys will need a "breaking in" period (and TC/PS isnt exactly that.cause real time game experience with AR wont happen) - and the end result - the name of each and every game  - is securing W's. Without em - the world stops turning. So - as I said on draft day - I welcome the (necessary) competition at WR - but lets see these guys play a bit before we anoint them starters and saviors right from the get go.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

I see no good reason to expose a starter to return duties. Thats ultimately a losing sum game cause they're abscence due to injury while returning would be compounded on the unit they're front line performers on.

Cobb does returns - gets hurt - who's our slot guy on O?

JA does returns - gets hurt - who's our slot guy on D?

The "rotational demands" that would place on those units personnel and potential drop off in production - isnt worth it IMO. I dont see the benefit and see far more risk.

Exposure or "trial by fire" is a nice concept - but the player has to have a clue what he's doing. Had we drafted a WR @ #1? Perhaps I'd see their path to starting right away. But I think our guys will need a "breaking in" period (and TC/PS isnt exactly that.cause real time game experience with AR wont happen) - and the end result - the name of each and every game  - is securing W's. Without em - the world stops turning. So - as I said on draft day - I welcome the (necessary) competition at WR - but lets see these guys play a bit before we anoint them starters and saviors right from the get go.

Allison and Moore aren't even in the same league.  Don't want to ease him in.  He'll need reps in order to get better.  He is not going to improve sitting on the bench.  Need him contributing in a meaningful way later in the season.  It'd be different if we had a veteran to assume that gaping hole at flanker but we don't.  Allison is not gifted enough.  Yes I would put JA on punt returns immediately.  Have you looked at his tape?  The kid is in a whole different league.  I'm not going to drive a Volkswagen with a Ferrari sitting on the bench.  Nope.  Question for you.  Who is the last Packer who was injured returning punts?  I don't buy the argument.  JA can get injured on any play. Not sure which receiver will catch on first.  I am assuming Moore as he looks the most polished.  Either sign a vet or start one of the rookies.  Allison in not a starting caliber WR.  The only way rooks are going to get better is through playing time.  

Understand the point. No need to repeat it.

Allison and Moore aren't in the same league - this is true. Allison's a 3 year veteran. Moore's not taken his first snap. I'm on his side. I like what I see and want Moore to be a kick *** WR for us but I'll not designate him (or any of the other rookie WRs) one before they take their first snap.

As I've said many times - I dont have favorites - I dont play favorites. I want nothing but a roster packed with the best talent top to bottom. Difference makers all.

The process will begin with TC.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I am hopeful that MM completely overhauling the playbook this year results in more opportunities for talented young pass receivers.

Graham, Moore, ESB, etc are all going into their first year with Rodgers. If we want the most out if the roster, MM and AR need to craft an offer see that gets them involved sooner than later.

Gone are the days of Jennings, Jordy, Driver, Jones, etc. coming back every year. Somethings gotta change. And sounds like MM realizes this.

Honestly of all the player I think have the chance to rejuvenate the offense, it’s Ty Montgomery. Hopefully with the MM revamp they found a way to use a RB/WR hybrid to really force mismatches. With Williams and Jones proving themselves at RB, there should be more opportunity to use him as a chess piece. I know he’s kinda injury prone, so can’t put all our eggs in that basket, but I can hope!

36 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Honestly of all the player I think have the chance to rejuvenate the offense, it’s Ty Montgomery. Hopefully with the MM revamp they found a way to use a RB/WR hybrid to really force mismatches. With Williams and Jones proving themselves at RB, there should be more opportunity to use him as a chess piece. I know he’s kinda injury prone, so can’t put all our eggs in that basket, but I can hope!

With what I've read, that's the plan. Like you, I hope it's not a smokescreen and that they actually do use him that way. Perhaps we could turn some of these lower tiered guys with boatloads of athleticism and speed for a ton of trick plays.

Also, MVS should get a good luck at RS. He's the one with 4.37 speed...

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

MM having Philbin makes me feel better at least. I hope MM leans on him for advice on running the offense. 

6 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I'd say Allison is a lock to make this team absent GB signing a vet, whether as a day 1 starter or a 4-5 guy. I don't care how fast Moore, ESB, ABC, MVS, ZYX, TYC or DIV run the 40 or catch passes against guys in college, the fact is that most Day 3 WRs are going to offer very little to an NFL team in their first year, especially the first half of the season. I'd be shocked if that trend is broken in this case. If Moore can't play he's going to sit. I don't care about his development, if he can't run routes and can't be reliable, he shouldn't be on the field. Hopefully the kid balls out and earns a spot on the field on Sundays, but he has to convince Rodgers of that and we know how that usually goes. I'd temper your expectations. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I'd say Allison is a lock to make this team absent GB signing a vet, whether as a day 1 starter or a 4-5 guy. I don't care how fast Moore, ESB, ABC, MVS, ZYX, TYC or DIV run the 40 or catch passes against guys in college, the fact is that most Day 3 WRs are going to offer very little to an NFL team in their first year, especially the first half of the season. I'd be shocked if that trend is broken in this case. If Moore can't play he's going to sit. I don't care about his development, if he can't run routes and can't be reliable, he shouldn't be on the field. Hopefully the kid balls out and earns a spot on the field on Sundays, but he has to convince Rodgers of that and we know how that usually goes. I'd temper your expectations. 

I'd be surprised if Allison didn't make the team.  However he doesn't play special teams and that's a pretty big strike.  Also agree that rookie WR's rarely make an impact.  However if given the reps they will improve more quickly than sitting on the bench.  Which ever of the 3 rooks that picks it up fastest should get the start.  Yes they will make mistakes they are rooks.  We have 2 decent receivers Adams and Cobb.  That's it.  So who else is going to play?  Someone has to step in for Jordy.  If not a veteran signing I'd prefer a high upside rook over Allison.  Yes they will make some mistakes and piss off Aaron.  I'd expect rapid improvement with playing time and believe  Moore has the best shot to be the guy. 

Wouldn't be taking this stance if we had 3 quality receivers already.  We don't.  Hey maybe Davis takes a jump and he's the guy(doubt it tho).  Not sure how it will shake out in camp but don't be surprised if one of these rooks gets some extended playing time this year.  Packers don't have a choice.  I'll be watching with great interest.  Also you should care about development that's the main philosophy on how we build our team.  Draft and develop.  One last point on draft position who cares?  I don't.  Driver was a 7th rounder.  Allison is an UDFA.  We took a total of 5 late round shots.  Dupre is gone.  Leaves Yancey, ESB, Moore, and Valdez.  One of them is going to hit.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:55 AM, vegas492 said:

I dig yah, man, and will happily take that bet.

BTW...The Thing, great movie.  Still to this day...  I can work with Norm for an avatar....

And...you watch...Moore with 19 catches, ESB 19 catches....  :)

The Thing really spooked me.  It is one of my hubby's favorite movies.  It must be guy thing.  ;)

On 5/1/2018 at 8:09 PM, Patriotplayer90 said:

Blast me all you want, but I like Moore as a college prospect over Adams.  He was making SEC cornerbacks looks silly, while Adams just seemed solid, not special, considering his level of competition.  Moore seems like a taller Adams on steroids, albeit slighter.  Faster, quicker, with all of the competitiveness and deliberate route running that Adams shows.

However,  Adams may project as a better NFL player due to superior football character and very good ball skills.

I won't " blast you", and I love J'mon. But Adams tore it up in college with Carr. 28 TDs. 24 TD and 1,700 yards in 2013. If that's not special, IDK what is.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/davante-adams-1.html

Archived