Will new WRs be better than last years rookies?

James Lofton

It seems that this year's WRs are more athletic and better route runners than last years' group. MVS looks great on all the short videos, but a friend sent some game film of him and he didn't look that good. He seems to know he's not getting the ball and he rounds his routes off and just doesn't sell it to the CBS. Now that doesn't appear to be that big of a problem to fix. I really think this will be a great opportunity to see a Janis type receiver that can catch the ball with very good body control.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the usage all plays out. 

My fear is that with our shaky o-line on the right side early on, plus with shaky 3rd receivers, that the offense may struggle a lot early in the season.  MM of course like to run the ball on first downs, so I'm kinda nervous that a thin receiving corp and weak blocking will lead to a lot of ineffective runs on first downs, that in turn set up a lot of 2nd-and-9's, which in turn lead to a lot of punts.  We'll see of course. 

But I think for receivers, it really helps to get some sustainable drives, get more plays, get more snaps, get more targets, get more touches.  The more plays you run, the more opportunities there are for substitutions, for different guys to get into the flow, and for different guys to show what they can, or can't, do.  

I've noted this earlier, but I'm much more optimistic on Allison than most of you guys.  Yes, he's limited, but he's coordinated and instinctive and has long arms and catch-radius.  I'm guardedly hopeful that Yancey will step up and look usable, given the wide-open door of opportunity.  And it will be fun in camp to see how the three rookies look, who knows?  It's certainly plausible that one or two might just emerge and make it obvious that they are better than the alternatives.  So, will be really interesting to see how things actually play out, impossible to know now.  

Cliche is that competition brings out the best and all that.  While there is truth in that, I think it's also something of a fallacy.  Often "competition" is more a reflection that you don't have anybody good; you've got a bunch of variably limited guys none of whom is good enough to separate from the rest.  But man, it would be cool if one or more of these guys just stepped up and made everybody forget about what round they were drafted in, and just emerge as a serious NFL-quality legit receiver.  

I can't even imagine how much attention they're going to get in the media-open OTA's and early camp practices.  If St. Brown or Moore make a couple of nice plays, we'll all be fired up...

I have to admit, I sometimes wonder how complicated some of MM's "routes" really are?  Seems like a lot of Packer "routes" are run straight out as best you can to the first-down marker, then stop and turn around and see if Rodgers feels like throwing it to you.  If not, proceed with scramble drill.  I'm sure it's all much more complicated and that there are more nuances, but given how much are just iso routes that don't seem to require that much coordination with the other receivers, I wonder if it's really all THAT terribly hard for a rookie to be able to run some of the things?  

It's possible that we're over-doing the difficulty of a rookie playing somewhat effectively?  Geronimo Allison, with no speed and starting year on practice squad, came in and made 23 receptions as a rookie.  Would it be that implausible that one of our drafted rookies, who has some speed, who's on the roster from week one on, and who has only Geronimo to beat for snaps, might end up with that many rookie receptions and perhaps a lot, lot more? 

On 5/2/2018 at 12:08 PM, Cadmus said:

I'll say it again, the biggest difference between the '18 WRs and '17 WRs are their ability to create yards after the catch.

found this nugget from PackersTalk:

http://packerstalk.com/2018/05/04/packers-football-friday-whos-playing-the-z/

"They also brought back master of the slot offense Joe Philbin, go watch some 2011 tape. Go. Seriously go watch"

I was listening to Pigskin Paul from Great Blue North Draft Report talk about our picks yesterday.

Astonishingly, he says that Valdes Scantling is the one WR that is MOST ready to play. J'Mon Moore is the LEAST ready to play, though perhaps also the least likely to flame out without producing. He had EQSB as his 67th rated player in the entire draft. The kid fell because he has a complete outlier of a family situation. Some players have no family. EQSB's family is like a singular organism that has nurtured some interesting kids and made them successful. Will EQSB be able to function at a high level when his family is firewalled from the process?

6 hours ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I was listening to Pigskin Paul from Great Blue North Draft Report talk about our picks yesterday.

Astonishingly, he says that Valdes Scantling is the one WR that is MOST ready to play. J'Mon Moore is the LEAST ready to play, though perhaps also the least likely to flame out without producing. He had EQSB as his 67th rated player in the entire draft. The kid fell because he has a complete outlier of a family situation. Some players have no family. EQSB's family is like a singular organism that has nurtured some interesting kids and made them successful. Will EQSB be able to function at a high level when his family is firewalled from the process?

I don't think he's the most ready, but I'm not counting against him.  Great physical attributes, good character. 

29 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

I don't think he's the most ready, but I'm not counting against him.  Great physical attributes, good character. 

I would have ranked him third. Maybe Pigskin Paul is considering his college experience in a couple of programs.

I wonder if EQ straight up told teams in his interviews that he’d be fine if he didn’t play pro ball. Realistic maybe, but not a good way to handle a job interview. Somehow a kid that should have been a third round pick convinced teams to wait until the 200s to pick him. 

39 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I would have ranked him third. Maybe Pigskin Paul is considering his college experience in a couple of programs.

I wonder if EQ straight up told teams in his interviews that he’d be fine if he didn’t play pro ball. Realistic maybe, but not a good way to handle a job interview. Somehow a kid that should have been a third round pick convinced teams to wait until the 200s to pick him. 

EQ's Dad literally wanted $100 Million shoe contracts for all of this (football playing) kids. 

"My kids are half-German.... Adidas is a German company... three stripes... three kids... it makes perfect sense" 

- John Brown (Father of EQ).

Watched all 3 interviews of the new WR's.  EQ is a little brash.  Tell the kid is really smart.  Confident and bordering on cocky.  Can see how he could rub some the wrong way.  (Not me tho I like it) Only thing I care about is how he performs on the football field.  He kicks butt everyone will love him. Reminds me of Javon Walker. He's probably got the biggest upside. Whether he realizes his full potential I don't know. Moore kind of reminds me of Freeman.  Also confident and seems pretty dedicated to improving himself.  Good kid still my fav to make an impact in the shorter term.  MVS was a very interesting cat.  Great great kid.  Humble and willing to do whatever he can to make the team.  Love the kids attitude and will be pulling for him.  He's a lot like DD in that way. He'll be a real tough cut.  Great character kid.

Like all 3 of these guys.  All  of them are very well spoken and intelligent.  Can't wait for camp to see these guys in action. Not sure they will be able to stash any of them on the PS.  Teams just love poaching our WR's.  Did like Yancey pick last year.  He reminded me of James Jones.  Think his ceiling is lower than the new rooks tho.  It will be a very interesting camp. 

From PackersNews and Eric Baranczyk

"Being out of the playoff race the last two games gave the Packers’ young receivers a chance to show they could replace Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb in the top-three rotation next year, but none of them did that "

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

"Being out of the playoff race the last two games gave the Packers’ young receivers a chance to show they could replace Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb in the top-three rotation next year, but none of them did that "

I mean, he's not wrong, but Brett Hundley...

20 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

...and yet the team still got rid of Jordy.

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...and yet the team still got rid of Jordy.

Jordy didn't answer the bell on the outside either. And with only 1 slot position available, Packers chose Cobb over Nelson

End of story.

Its not a difficult story to understand, but a very difficult one for the fan base to accept

Partially because we like reading fairy tales..instead of the brutal reality. :)

Archived