Will new WRs be better than last years rookies?

James Lofton

3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I agree sans Clark. Yancey, Davis, and Allison are all limited but you never know. The rookies are all freakish athletes to I do feel more optimism for this. Clark I think may also turn into a pretty competent WR given the opportunity. This sans corner is probably going to be my favorite TC competition. 

Personally, I don't get the love affair with Clark. He's just a tall guy who really isn't very good at playing wide receiver. With the guys currently in camp, I could see Clark gone by the first cut down, not the second. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Personally, I don't get the love affair with Clark. He's just a tall guy who really isn't very good at playing wide receiver. With the guys currently in camp, I could see Clark gone by the first cut down, not the second. 

Eh I'm not wild about him but if he somehow does figure it out he would be a beast. A big BIG BIG if but he has the potential to be something special even if it is very unlikely for him to reach it. 

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Jordy answered the "bell" just fine with Rodgers under center.  Not saying he was going to revert back and be a 1300 yard receiver.  But 2018 Jordy is better than 2018 Allison or any rookie we drafted this year.

I'd argue if he (Jordy) is to be productive in the league...the best of Jordy going forward was with #12 in Green Bay.

Brutal reality is this...GB wanted to move on from Jordy...and they did.  They did not adequately replace him, yet.  Key word being yet.

Agree and Jordy would have worked fine as a stop-gap for 2018, which again, as I've stated several times, is why it makes no sense to cut Jordy assuming it's true he would have come back on a small, let's say $3-5 mil deal. The only reason why you still go ahead and cut him at that point is if you intend to sign a FA (or draft a WR high in the draft which we did not). Hopefully, that still proves to be the case. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Couldn't agree more, but I don't think a Day 3 WR is an answer either, not for 2018. If we had drafted J'Mon Moore in 2016 instead of Trevor Davis, we'd probably have our 2018 replacement for Jordy Nelson already on the roster. As it stands, however, I still say we need a vet who is not currently on the team. 

Sans keeping Jordy and missing out most likely on Graham and Wilk who else is available that really fills the mold as a true #2? You have probably in our price range Cameron Meredith (Huge medical concerns), Terrelle Pryor (Is he really a true #2?), Dez Bryant (Is he any better than average? A headcase), Mike Wallace (I think he is the most likely to make an argument for but is he really that good anymore?), Donte Moncrief (Signed a 7 Mil deal, pretty rich for what the Pack have this year). There is probably more but I don't really consider most of the ones left to be "True #2" material. 

I think its wise to not invest too much in that position at the moment. We have Adams, Cobb, and Graham. The rest of the guys need to be serviceable. Like Tom Brady, I think Aaron Rodgers can make even a mediocre WR look great at times. Packers money is better being spent elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

...I'm not arguing, at all, that Jordy didn't lose steps.  Plural.  He did.  What I am saying is that if he's on the team, he's probably close to a 900 yard wide receiver 2 in the offense.  I'm unsure if you get that out of any other WR, except for Adams....

I don't really see Jordy very likely to be a 900-guy, that's averaging almost 60 yards a game.  He'd get some 60-yard games on days when both Aaron and Jordy are healthy at the same time.  but with Jordy's recurring injuries and Aaron hurt for a variable number of games too, I don't think Jordy could approach 900.   I do suspect that Jordy was playing hurt for at least part of last season.  He may come back healthier, and play better, perhaps much better, as a result. 

I don't expect any individual youngster to reach 900 yards.  But if the snaps are divvied up more creatively, the composite may produce as much or more than would have Jordy with comparable snaps.  Jordy got zillions of snaps, even when he wasn't doing much with them.  I think there may be more distribution of snaps this year, depending on who's hot, matchups, game situation, and obviously player performance. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

There aren't two cut downs anymore

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

He’s got a whole lot going for him except for the whole catching the ball and running routes thing.

44 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

How I see the WR Depth Chart entering week 1: 

Adams

Cobb

Allison

Yancey

Moore

St. Brown

Valdez-Scantling

Cut the rest. They are not quality NFL players.

Stiff as a board Yancey is an NFL player but a top 10 return man isn't?

21 hours ago, craig said:

I don't really see Jordy very likely to be a 900-guy, that's averaging almost 60 yards a game.  He'd get some 60-yard games on days when both Aaron and Jordy are healthy at the same time.  but with Jordy's recurring injuries and Aaron hurt for a variable number of games too, I don't think Jordy could approach 900.   I do suspect that Jordy was playing hurt for at least part of last season.  He may come back healthier, and play better, perhaps much better, as a result. 

I don't expect any individual youngster to reach 900 yards.  But if the snaps are divvied up more creatively, the composite may produce as much or more than would have Jordy with comparable snaps.  Jordy got zillions of snaps, even when he wasn't doing much with them.  I think there may be more distribution of snaps this year, depending on who's hot, matchups, game situation, and obviously player performance. 

Jordy was a 1250 yard, 14 TD in 2016.  People want to act like it was an eternity ago but it was the last full season he played with AR12. Prior to AR12's injury he lead the team in both yards per game and TDs.  I'm not sure he's going to be a 900 yard receiver in Oakland because I'm not sure Carr is much more than below average but he'd surely have reached it in Green Bay had he not been cut.  

I put little into Jordy's performance without Rodgers.  All one has to do is watch the games and you will see the countless times where Hundley missed him or he didn't even look in his direction.  

I think the chances of all three rookies not making the team is 100 times more likely than any of them approaching 900 yards.  I'd wager that they don't reach even half the 900 yards combined.  These were day 3 day 3  picks in one of the worst WR drafts in recent memory, I've got little confidence that their going to go from being bottom of their draft class caliber WRs to very good NFL starter overnight.  

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Agree and Jordy would have worked fine as a stop-gap for 2018, which again, as I've stated several times, is why it makes no sense to cut Jordy assuming it's true he would have come back on a small, let's say $3-5 mil deal. The only reason why you still go ahead and cut him at that point is if you intend to sign a FA (or draft a WR high in the draft which we did not). Hopefully, that still proves to be the case. 

Jordy just wasn't in the plan moving forward, just wasn't.  He's such a part of the Raiders plan that after signing him they have traded for M Bryant and Switzer from Dallas.  Maybe they finally watched some film from last year. Or Gruden has just been playing Madden for a few years.

Davis is coming into his third year.  He still has something that can't be taught- speed.  I look for him to take a step up.  I don't know that Yancey has shown anything yet and it is also Allison's third year.  Looking for him to be more polished this year also.  Clark excited the staff about what a big body type could do, so they went out and drafted three big bodies that really were WRs.  Clark is gone.  Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, Moore and St Brown with VS going to practice squad with Yancey.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Stiff as a board Yancey is an NFL player but a top 10 return man isn't?

He’s not a top ten return man in anything other than statistics and there are only like ten that qualify.

Archived