Offensive Line Thread

y2lamanaki

Didn't really know where the best place to put this would be, so a general thread for offensive line news would be good. A pretty good read on Staley and his rejuvenation under Shanahan. 

Intrigued by the shellacking offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan had put on his squad, Staley approached Atlanta’s left tackle Alex Mack, who also played for Shanahan in Cleveland. He wanted to know if the league’s hottest coordinator was the real deal.

“[Mack] said without hesitation: ‘Shanahan is the man,’” Staley says. “Right after the game to speak so glowingly about the coordinator, I thought he must be special.”

As Week 17 came and went and the 49ers were in their too familiar position of a head coach search, Staley polled a few more players around the league. He relayed the Mack recommendation to York and told his owner, “If I could play with Kyle, it would be a dream come true. “ York likely had Shanahan at the top of his list but Staley’s input certainly didn’t hurt.

http://thefootballgirl.com/joe-staley-kyle-shanahan/

I suspect the offensive line to be one of the worst in football to be quite honest, and it's one of the reasons I don't have high expectations for the season ahead. A bad offensive line can torpedo the season of much more talented teams than the one we are fielding overall. 

If we sign Cousins in the offseason, I want us to go all in on the offensive line next year. Trade down, draft McGlinchey, sign a guy like Pugh or Mewhort to solidify the interior. 

Don't know if this has been posted yet but:

Was hoping he would return for week 1, but it will be awfully hard for our RBs to get going vs Carolina and Seattle's front 7 in the first two games. Especially if Beadles will be the starter at LG. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Ravens fans don't even want him, lol.

Haha yeah, I was reading the replies to that tweet, then went over to the Ravens board. The mod for the Ravens board indicated part of the reason he was traded in the first place was due to him not wanting to play guard. I gotta wonder if that was why we cut him. I thought it was very odd that they weren't even trying him at G when Garnett went down. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That shouldn't be interesting at all after watching Barnes' pathetic performance yesterday. This guy is another level bad. 

Its interesting to me because i didn't know Magnuson had any center experience

35 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To me it is more so of how bad Barnes is. Magnunson was good against the Chiefs and had to be better than Barnes yesterday by default. But man Barnes is looking Devey level bad. 

Barnes was by far the worst OL on a very bad Rams OL last year, I'm not sure how he even has a job still. Magnuson apparently can play all the interior positions which is extremely attractive with who will be playing ahead of him there. I'm praying Magnuson is a UDFA stud for us for years to come, we could use a find like that on the inside bad.

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Interesting that Chris Biderman has us vutting Barnes at center and keeping Magnuson as the backup center

Magnuson played great in the first game.  DIdn't watch Saturday's game.  How did he do in his second game?

7 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Magnuson played great in the first game.  DIdn't watch Saturday's game.  How did he do in his second game?

Haven't heard anything, and I didn't notice him during the game, so I'll take that as a positive. I just haven't seen us play him at center yet, but I will admit that it's easy to miss if I"m not looking for it. 

Cool offensive line news. Magnuson is starting to get first team snaps. 

After the second exhibition game, the 49ers closed practices to the local media. But based on video posted on the team’s official website, undrafted rookie guard Erik Magnuson saw some action Wednesday with the first-team offense for the first time this summer.

Magnuson, a 6-foot-6, 305-pounder from Michigan, is shown blocking on a play in which running back Carlos Hyde had a huge hole on a run play up the middle.

Starting tackles Joe Staley and Trent Brown were joined by veteran center Tim Barnes on the first-team offense, as seen on the video. Daniel Kilgore is considered, along with Staley and Brown, an offensive lineman virtually assured of being a starter.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/undrafted-rookie-gets-his-shot-49ers-offensive-line

Archived