Why Drafting for "Overall Value" Is More Important than Drafting "Our Guys"

big9erfan

On 5/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, Uncle_Rico said:

3:20 - Shanahan - "That's why the goal is to get more, not a guy. We have to get more. It's not A guy in this draft, in my opinion.But you also don't want to trade back and take 14 guys who aren't guys."

Love this quote.

On 5/1/2018 at 5:20 PM, oldman9er said:

G' bless ya Big, for real.. but ooooooh my... 

It's good for discussion maybe, I dunno. Maybe it gets to beating a dead horse? I dunno that either. What I do think I know over the years is.. where my value is.. for a particular player.. is not often the same as where my team's value is. That, and coaches always do and will fall for a player that they REALLY don't want to see go to another team.

You can argue and lament over it all day.. but they get the job to decide.. and the fans can't do jack about it. I say this as a fan that didn't love the SF draft much. I'm just gonna kick back and hope they made better decisions than I think they did. Anything more is just exhausting and pointless. 

:) 

I like this post too along with all the other guys that liked it. I've been seeking out and reading articles lately about drafting strategies. It's just a subject that interests me.

Just remember: That was then, this is now. Their approach was VERY different this year from last. Why? The roster has more talent and more of their guys already. They may not keep everyone on this time around. Day 3 was full of developmental prospects with intriguing measurables. Day 1 and 2 we were looking for specific prospects.

I've been critical of our draft this year. But what do I know? They did pretty darn well last year. So I'm hoping for the best this year. I actually like most of the picks, except for two injured guys.  I just don't like the value they got. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I've been critical of our draft this year. But what do I know? They did pretty darn well last year. So I'm hoping for the best this year. I actually like most of the picks, except for two injured guys.  I just don't the value they got. 

Well, the good news on this front is that only one should be affected by the injury. Harris has been cleared by his doctors and he's been running. I'm guessing the team will play it safe until training camp, but we should see him then. Luckily, the injury came before last season, not during.

8 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, the good news on this front is that only one should be affected by the injury. Harris has been cleared by his doctors and he's been running. I'm guessing the team will play it safe until training camp, but we should see him then. Luckily, the injury came before last season, not during.

Well that's good news. Still not one of my favs from this draft, but glad to hear there's a chance he can contribute this year.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Well that's good news. Still not one of my favs from this draft, but glad to hear there's a chance he can contribute this year.

Yeah, I agree...I am a Gator fan, so I'm probably more excited for him than most, but he's still near the bottom of my favorites in this class. I think his ceiling is Special Teams standout/2nd box safety in sub packages. But the dude can flat out level guys. 

20 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Still don't like the pick. It's an Achilles tear. He'll be able to play this year, but it's usually year 2 where they regain something closer to their full ability back. I gave us an F for the pick when I did the draft just because I have a hard time seeing him ever making the roster or really turning into anything. I could be wrong...our safety depth is non-existent, so he'll probably end up making the roster just because he was drafted by this regime and we have nothing else. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Still don't like the pick. It's an Achilles tear. He'll be able to play this year, but it's usually year 2 where they regain something closer to their full ability back. I gave us an F for the pick when I did the draft just because I have a hard time seeing him ever making the roster or really turning into anything. I could be wrong...our safety depth is non-existent, so he'll probably end up making the roster just because he was drafted by this regime and we have nothing else. 

Agreed, but I'd be mildly annoyed if he makes it over Tavarus McFadden in the last DB slot. I understand one was drafted and one wasn't. I get that Tavarus doesn't turn so well and can give up underneath plays and can understand why others aren't as high on him as I am. But he is really good in contested throws towards the boundary, especially in off coverage. That is darn useful and may mean that he can hang as a team's second starter at corner eventually. I don't think that Harris ever profiles as more than a second box safety on a roster even without the possible physical diminishment. 

Archived