play action pass

James Lofton

4 minutes ago, James Lofton said:

I meant staple as in anything that is considered to be necessary, central, or key. Did I use the word wrongly? 

You mean stable, as in a stable of thoroughbred, bad arse mofos who can stretch the field and give Rodgers a plethora of weaponry to systematically destroy opponents with!

"A staple food, or simply a staple, is a food that is eaten routinely and in such quantities that it constitutes a dominant portion of a standard diet for a given people, supplying a large fraction of energy needs and generally forming a significant proportion of the intake of other nutrients as well."

I'd say he had proper usage. 

OP seems to have the correct meaning of the word, but as noted by Sasquatch, is importing the usage of the word "stable". Common usage of "Staple" would be something like "Play action has become a staple of the Packers' playbook". You wouldn't commonly say "The packers playbook has a staple of play action passes". Saying a team has a stable of running backs is a common turn of phrase comparing the running back room to a stable of horses. A google search for "stable of running backs" produces 21,000 results, and you can see many are from well-known sources. A google search of "staple of running backs" includes this thread on the first page of results.

I think we're kinda totempoling with this subject here. We haven't exactly seen how they're going to use Monty this year, but from everything I've read Jamaal Williams is going to be more of a feature back whereas Monty will be used in a variety of roles. Wouldn't be surprised to see him line-up as a Wingback in certain formations. I'm also wondering if some of these bigger receivers, all of which run incredibly fast 40 times, will take turns running jet sweeps in some cases. ESB was very successful running a similar play in college.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This would have turned into a meme on the old site. 

But God I hope not, this is a spread team with spread talent. Play spread ball.

Use playaction sparingly and to maximum effectiveness. 

Playaction is more effective when a team show s comittment to running the ball

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Playaction is more effective when a team show s comittment to running the ball

While true, playaction is also more effective the more primary run defenders you have on the field. 

That usually goes counter to spread concepts. 

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

While true, playaction is also more effective the more primary run defenders you have on the field. 

That usually goes counter to spread concepts. 

True....and teams will put less run defenders on the field when you don't run the ball.  

GB has had a decent play action game on the shot plays to Nelson.  Not sure how good it functioned on other concepts of plays just behind the LB group.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

True....and teams will put less run defenders on the field when you don't run the ball.  

GB has had a decent play action game on the shot plays to Nelson.  Not sure how good it functioned on other concepts of plays just behind the LB group.  

We've done very well on the deep play action game. Less so on the chain moving play action sets. Probably more on Rodgers than McCarthy. 

Archived