FF Jets Forum Draft - Pick 72 Poll

Pick 72  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 72

• Nathan Shepherd DL
    • Orlando Brown OT
    • Martinas Rankin G/C
    • Josh Sweat OLB

There were a lot of names thrown out there. I kept it to the four that were mentioned the most. You heard the cases made for each player. Orlando Brown: Potential franchise LT but may not fit ZBS. Nathan Shepherd: Athletic/Powerful Interior Defender but an older prospect. Martinas Rankins: Could be a solid LG to protect our FQB. There were a number of different edge defenders that were mentioned. I put Josh Sweat on the poll even though he will be available for our next pick. 

PFF Prospect Descriptions Below:

Nathan Shepherd DL:

Shepherd’s blend of size, power and athleticism is rare. His competition is obviously a concern, but looked like he belonged in his limited time at the Senior Bowl.

Orlando Brown OT: 

Brown has more reps on tape that make you say ‘wow’ than any offensive tackle in this class. He quite simply engulfs defensive linemen on a regular basis. He may struggle with speed at times, but he’s impervious to the bull-rush with his size and length (didn’t allow a single bull-rush pressure all year).

Martinas Rankins G/C: 

- PFF Scouting Summary: Rankin is one of the few extremely long-armed tackles who already knows how to utilize that length advantage properly. His slow feet could cause a rocky transition to the NFL however and he allowed 18 pressures on only 247 pass-blocking snaps this past season.

Josh Sweat OLB:

Sweat is as athletic as any pass-rusher in this class, but it’s yet to translate to the football field. He’ll need to develop a handful more pass-rushing moves to make an impact at the next level.

Posted (edited)

This was a tough one for me. I like the Shepherd pick but we can't keep neglecting the OL. When we invested the 3rd overall pick on our FQB, we have to make sure he is protected. I went with Rankin. He has the chance to be a solid interior lineman. We have the Anderson trade and can address the DL later in the draft. 

Edited by SDotNova

I think Browns awful combine and subsequent slide will do wonders for spurring him to be more motivated moving forward. He got the talent and skills needed to be successful. 

Brown is a top 20 talent that only slipped bc of poor bench reps. You watch him play and he’s a franchise LT. It would have been brilliant to get Darnold a franchise LT in the same draft. Although I liked the idea of Sweat as well. 1st Round talent as well. I just think the LT and Edge need big time outweigh our DE need. And that’s why I wasn’t happy with this pick. Had nothing to do with me not liking Shepard... it was more the position drafted.

Went Rankin here. Really wanted oline with this pick but they probably had a high grade on Shepherd.

Just can't trust Brown at this level after his testing. Best case scenario he plays RT but Shell is there and developing. Rankin could be a great LG, Sweat has injury concerns but is a ridiculous athlete. The more I learned about Shepard the more I loved the pick even though he's 25. 

Shepard

Rankin

Sweat

Brown

In that order.

get your votes in. We have a couple hours. Orlando Brown leading by the slight margin. 

If there was an option that said "not Orlando brown" I'd probably pick it. 

Looks like Orlando Brown it is. He got closed to half the votes. His 3 cone was pretty solid and he has 35" arms. I think 40 times are overrated for OL. Going to be interesting to see how he develops. A lot of those Oklahoma players fell in the draft except Baker. Kind of surprising.