Are You SMarter Than an NFL GM? 2018 Picks Thread

y2lamanaki

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I need to get mine in...I'm really struggling with the Trent Brown trade on whether or not to do it. If I do it, I feel like you're almost obligated to take McGlinchey at #1, or I have to roll with Garry Gilliam for the year. Maybe not the worst thing ever, I don't know, but I want to keep it kind of realistic in that we clearly didn't want Brown, and if my HC doesn't want him, I see no reason to keep him. I can't count on a comp pick for him since I want to be active again in FA next season, so I understand the appeal of getting something for him now. 

As I recall you liked crosby and he lasted till the 4th.

36 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

As I recall you liked crosby and he lasted till the 4th.

Nah, didn't care for Crosby much one way or the other. I have tackles that preferred earlier like Christian, and guys I'd rather take chances on later (Matt Pryor, Demby, Jamarco Jones maybe) 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Nah, didn't care for Crosby much one way or the other. I have tackles that preferred earlier like Christian, and guys I'd rather take chances on later (Matt Pryor, Demby, Jamarco Jones maybe) 

Ah. Now I remember. It was Christian I was thinking of. He's the guy you picked in your mock, right?  In fact now that I'm remembering it he went at the spot we gave up to get Pettis. So if you decide not to move up for Pettis you can have him and someone else at our original 59. Guice? Chark? Washington?

Just now, big9erfan said:

Ah. Now I remember. It was Christian I was thinking of. He's the guy you picked in your mock, right?  In fact now that I'm remembering it he went at the spot we gave up to get Pettis. So if you decide not to move up for Pettis you can have him and someone else at our original 59. Guice? Chark? Washington?

Yep, and I have him locked in at 74 too LOL. He will definitely be my pick at 74. 

I actually was thinking Guice at 59, but haven't decided on that as of yet. I Think pick in the first round is going to be Minkah though. As the predraft process went on, I started liking the idea of Minkah more and more. 

I think I screwed up and traded Brown in the live version, which personally I wouldn’t have done, but I also would have re-signed him which I think our FO has made pretty clear wasn’t going to happen so I guess in a year it will be pretty inconsequential.

16 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think I screwed up and traded Brown in the live version, which personally I wouldn’t have done, but I also would have re-signed him which I think our FO has made pretty clear wasn’t going to happen so I guess in a year it will be pretty inconsequential.

Yeah, I mean, it's tough. For me it's a little easier I suppose because I don't view is as a playoff team, so a cheap right tackle in an inconsequential year means nothing, and it makes sense to get whatever value now. But it's also always the goal to make the playoffs, and dumping brown and starting Gilliam or a third rounder is us going backwards from that goal

• 1 month later...

I had forgotten about this for TC, and then went off galavanting to europe for 2 weeks before training camp started. 

I'm going to trade Trent Brown and stay at selection #59. I thought long and hard about the Brown trade, but since the team clearly has no incentive to keep him on after next year, I figure I may as well get what I can and move on. This means that I will be rolling with Gilliam and likely a rookie at the right tackle spot this year. 

DRAFT C: TRADE TRENT BROWN AND STAY AT #59

#9) 
#59) 
#70)
#74) 
#95) 
#128) 
#184) 
#223) 
#240) 

#9 - Minkah Fitzpatrick. Lot of solid options here, but at this point, I think that he's the best available player, and as the lead up to the draft went on, I started to like the idea of him more and more. I think we could utilize him in quite a few ways, and I really like the idea of a three safety look on passing downs with Minkah and Colbert on the back end and Tartt playing the moneybacker position down low against opposing tight ends. 

Also in consideration: Roquan probably would have been the pick had he fallen to us. McGlinchey makes sense with the trade of Brown, but I just don't view him as a top 10 prospect in this draft, so it's hard for me to love that pick. I realize that there was no chance that we could have traded down and secured him (I do think that the Raiders were taking him at 10 had we not), but that doesn't make me like it any more. Vita Vea, Edmunds and Derwin were also in play. I simply like Minkah more than Derwin. Edmunds is young and has a bunch of upside, but I don't think he is going to be deployed in a manner that I would have chosen to use him. Vea is a really interesting guy, as he immediately comes in and takes over for Mitchell, beefs the run defense, but I have a hard time spending a top ten pick for a guy who is highly unlikely to be on the field for 60% of the teams defensive snaps. 

#59 - Lorenzo Carter - Truth be told, I probably would have done what the 49ers did and traded up, but I probably would have made the play for Harold Landry or several other players. Since we can't do that in this game, I'm going to go with Carter, who is a guy I think has some crazy nice athletic gifts, could transition to either LEO or SAM in our scheme. He already has a  lot of experience in a multitude of positions and roles. I thought he had a chance to be an early second round pick based on his athleticism, so I feel like getting him at the bottom of the second is good value. Funny thing about this pick is that I wasn't solidly in love with anyone at this point. This was one of the harder picks for me to make if only because there was nobody  that was really jumping off to me.  

Also in consideration: I really did give serious consideration to Guice here, who I love as a running back, but I just didn't see the big jump in value in that for us given that we signed McKinnon, I like Breida, and I still want to see what Williams can do. Carlton Davis was in consideration after missing out on Oliver (another guy I would have considered moving up for), but the addition of Minkah makes adding another secondary player this soon a little superfluous, as in my own head, Minkah would be playing a fair amount of both corner and safety; I'd have him in the slot on non obvious passing downs with a 3 wr set with Colbert and Tartt in the back, and then on obvious passing downs slide him back to free safety, have Tartt or Colbert at the strong safety spot while the other mans the moneybacker position. 

#70 - Fred Warner, BYU - I Don't see much cause to change this pick, truth be told. He's a modern day linebacker, fills a need position, and getting a potential rookie starter in round 3 is a big win. 

Also in consideration: Several offensive linemen, several linebackers. Jerome Baker leaves me a little cold, though he too is the "modern day linebacker". I'm not a fan of Malik Jefferson as I don't know if he has the mental game. Several offensive linemen were in play here - Geron Christian, Martinas Rankin and Orlando Brown were all in consideration. 

#74 - Geron Christian, OT Louisville - I was a fan of Christian during the draft process. Sure, he's raw as all get out, and he's likely going to bust out, but he has the rare upside of being a legit left tackle that you can get in the third round. This pick may look especially bad in 3 years given that he went ot a team with Trent Williams and Morgan Moses...this kid may never see the field in 3 years lol. That being said, I was a fan of his, I backed him, so I'm taking him here. 

Also in consideration: largely the offensive linemen. Rankins has some nice versatility, but I felt that his best fit was going to be on the interior of any line, particularly at center. Given that we signed Richburg, I didn't love this fit for us. Orlando Brown was very intriguing despite the abysmal combine. It was a good opportunity to pounce on a guy who's tape and on the field production was far superior to his underwear olympics exhibition. that being said, I think he's a strictly a right tackle, and while he could be a solid Andre Smith type right tackle, I wanted to shoot for the moon here. 

#95 -  Antonio Callaway, WR Florida - Humorously, this was the pick I had ticked for Arden Key during the actual draft. Obviously the Raiders stymied that, which left me without a ton of options to really go with here as there was nobody I truly loved. While I don't hate the Moore pick as I don't mind gambling on athletic traits at this point in the draft, I wasn't full on either, so really, there were two options I gave real consideration to here, Callaway, Mason Cole. I'd have really liked Cole, and I took him in my total control draft. He has that versatility that Shanny loves and he could have immediately come in and at worst been the third offensive guard behind Cooper and Tomlinson and likely getting playing time when Cooper gets hurt. That being said, in order to do that, I would have wanted to trade Garnett, which didn't and hasn't happened, and I can't do that in this game. Between Garnett and Mags, the back up guard spots (and center tbh), appear to be filled, so Cole may be a little overkill and I can address further offensive line depth later on. Callaway makes all the sense in the world here, and since I Had this ticketed for one troubled individual I don't worry so much about the issues. 

Also in consideration: As stated earlier, it was really only Callaway or Cole. I gave some thought to Harrison Phillips, but honestly, I wouldn't know what to do with him here. He's not going to play the 0 tech, and we have enough guys at the 3 tech (Defo, Day) and the big end position (Armstead, Blair, etc). I do think that Phillips will a good player, and could very easily occupy a justin smith type role in a lot of defenses, but it's just not something we need unless they can play the nose. 

#128 - Tim Settle, NT, VaTech - It feels weird to once again raid the Washington draft class. That may not bode well for me in this game 4 years down the line, however, Settle is pretty hard to pass up here. I wasn't a fan of the Street selection at all, so this was easy to change. Without another pick any time soon, there were plenty of options to choose from here, and quite a few people were in consideration. However, with Settle, I do think that we are getting a player who could have potentially usurped the starting NT role from Earl Mitchell in his first season. I've never been a huge fan of hte Mitchell signing - he's older, a bit expensive, and he's not very good as I don't know that I would even consider him an average NT in the league. Settle is perhaps not an ideal fit - I don''t know how he's going to handle double teams well, but he's very disruptive at the line, and if he can prevent Defo from being doubled consistently because he's pushing the pocket back on his own, that's a huge win. While Mitchell will stand up an opposing offensive lineman, he doesn't create any drive backward, which is something that Settle can do. There were other nose tackles I liked more, but surprisingly, they all went much higher, so Settle is the best option here. 

Also in consideration: Given the length of time between picks, there were several options. Maurice Hurst is the one that springs immediately to mind, but again, I'm really not sure what we do with yet another 3-tech. Buckner isn't going anywhere. Day is still young. Settle offers potential starting improvement right away, which Hurst does not do in my opinion. Add the heart issues, and that is a scary situation. Genard Avery, the linebacker from Memphis, I thought would be a great fit as a SAM linebacker, but having already drafted Carter, who would potentially slide into either LEO or SAM, this seemed unnecessary. With Harold somehow still here, my goal would be to have him as the backup (not to mention others such as Pita and Marsh), so Avery seemed unneeded. Tyrell Crosby was another faller who was available, but I"m not a huge fan of his (or Oregon linemen in general). I don't know that he's a tackle at the next level, and I don't think he's strong enough for the interior. He'd be more of a longer term grooming, whereas again, Settle I think could potentially come in and play some meaningful snaps. Okoronkwo was actually very hard to pass up here, probably the hardest out of all the other potential draftees. Daurice Fountain and Jordan Lasley were two wide receivers I thought about, but I'm kind of okay with the receiving corps we have. Lasley is plagued by drops and off the field issues as well. 

#184 - Matt Pryor, G, TCU - I hated the Harris selection, so this was another one that was easy for me to change. The crappy thing about this pick, however, is that all of the guys I would have really liked went in the 10 picks or so prior lol. Ejiofor is a guy I really liked, reminded me somewhat of Yannick when he was in college - athletically limited pass rushers who just found a way to get it done (though I liked Yannick more given his performances against future NFL starters). But he went 177. I absolutely love Parry Nickerson as he was one of my favorite corners in the draft given that speed, but he went 179. Fatukasi also went to the Jets and was a player I liked, though unlikely to have selected him here given the selection of Settle. Kylie Fitts then went 181, so that was a crazy rough stretch for me on guys I would have wanted. So where did that leave me? Well, not with much. There were no receivers or corners here that I loved, and those woudl have been solid targets at this point in the draft and given what we could use. Where this left me was offensive line. After passing up Cole and Crosby earlier, Matt Pryor seems like a good selection. In fairness, I had no idea who he was before listening to McShay espouse Pryor over his TCU teammate Joseph Noteboom. Pryor brings more of that versatility that we love, as he'll play guard and tackle, which immediately gives him more value than someone like Garnett. Adding pryor would give us an additional back up tackle (and probably one slightly more suited to play there in an emergency situation over Mags), along with a back up guard, while Mags would give us a back up center, guard and tackle. I love the idea of having backups who can slide in anywhere. 

Also in consideration: With most of the players I really liked here at this spot going in the picks before ours, it trimmed down the selections quite a bit. Equanimeous St Brown was very hard to pass up here, and in 3 or 4 years, I may wonder what the hell I was thinking by not drafting him here. Cedrick Wilson I had brief thoughts of, but decided against. Bradley Bozeman was a guy I drafted in TCMD; he's just a professional type road grading center, and I Think he'll probably make a roster and be a nice depth piece and spot starter at the nfl level, but his lack of versatility made pryor more appealing. Holton Hill went undrafted, but there's so much to like there. Great size that fits what we like, good speed, but he has a host of issues that are not ideal. 

#223 - Holton Hill, CB, Texas - I hate having two guys with character issues on the team but Hill is a really good fit for what we want, and he has speed to burn. Likely a PS guy for year number one, but once Ward heads off the team next year, Hill could come in and play either corner or safety. 

Also in consideration: Taylor was a pick I liked, but I'm not going to use 49ers here or for James given that TC has already started and we have been getting the updates. 

#240 - Jeff Holland, Auburn - Since Holland is a pass rusher, I decided to go with him over Scales, who I was also a big fan of. I love the James pick, but because TC has started, and also because I really didn't know who he was at the time of the draft (after reading about James when we drafted him, I loved the pick, similar to the signing of Breida last year), I don't think that I woudl have taken him here. 

Also in consideration: Tegray Scales was given thought, but I view him as strictly a SAM at the next level given he's slightly undersized. However the dude is a mighty mite and was basically Indiana's entire defense. A whole host of defensive backs. I avoided them since I took Hill earlier, but Tolliver, Meeks, Jackson, Blandig, McFadden were all given consideration. Lezard, Tate, Cobbs all wide receivers I thought about, but honestly, particularly with Callaway added, I like the receiving corps we have. 

Just adding in my TCMD picks for posterity sake :P Obviously, not the same thing, as this was done several weeks before the draft and the draft itself played out very differently 

• Rd 1 - Minkah Fitzpatrick Purely a BPA selection, we'll find a way to get him on the field. Was voted the second best first round pick (we lost to Denzel Ward, who somehow fell all the way to #16) 
  • Rd 2 - Josh Sweat (DE) - We needed a pass rusher, and at this point, he was the best on the board. My hope is that he can come in immediately on passing downs and be a successful situational pass rush
  • Rd 3 - Geron Christian (OT) - I decided to let Gilliam go in free agency. With Staley staring at the end of his career in the next two years, and Trent Brown's future far from certain, I thought it was important to find a guy that we can groom for the position. Christian isn't ready to play yet, but he has a ton of upside. Good feet and agility (former basketball player). Has some left tackle potential, in my opinion, just needs a lot of coaching. 
  • Rd 3 - Mason Cole (C) - This was a much debated pick at the time, but I'm very happy that we went in this direction. Cole has versatility all over the line, though his best fit will probably be at Center. He's familiar with professional schemes coming from Harbaugh's offense, which can often be complicated, particularly in the run game. He also destroyed the position drills at the combine. 
  • Rd 4 - Traded Down
  • Rd 5 - Allen Lazard (WR) - After sitting and waiting for the big wide receivers to come off the board, I finally made my move at the top of round 5. Lazard was better than I expected at the combine, and though I still think he plays like he's running in quicksand, he's a big bodied receiver that we don't really have on the roster. May be a solid red zone target and niche player. 
  • Rd 5 - Folorunso Fatuski (DT) - A big bodied DT to give Mitchell and DJ Jones some good competition. It hink Fatuski is better than a fifth round prospect, but this is where the lack of positional need and value helps us out with him falling. He's not much of a pass rusher, however. 
  • RD 6 - Marcell Frazier (DE) - Frazier lacks major athleticism to probably succeed at the next level, but is a pretty polished pass rusher when it comes to technique and moves. Mizzou also has a nice history of producing quality defensive linemen at the next level. I wanted to add one more pass rusher to the equation before the draft was over. Frazier wasn't invited to the combine, which means that interest in him is not that great, but sometimes, a guy just transitions well regardless of the lack of athleticism if he just knows what he's doing. I'm hoping that Frazier is that guy. 
  • RD 6 - Ricky Jeune (WR) - Another guy that didn't make the combine, Jeune stems from Georgia Tech, which basically tells you all you need to know. He's big, he's fast, and you can throw it deep to him. Not at all polished as a receiver, so this is a long term play and kind of the opposite of Frazier; we are banking on his size and speed and his ability to learn how to play receiver. 
  • RD 7 - Parry Nickerson (CB) - Honestly, this is one of my favorite picks in the draft because he should have gone way higher. Again, pretty much a BPA selection here because Nickerson is likely a slot corner at the next level given he's only 5'10, but he may be able to cut it on the outside, and we have Williams (who probably wouldn't be long for the team given our moves) and added Minkah in round one who can play the slot. But the kid was really good. Seriously. And he's fast. I just loved being able to get him in round 7. Major steal in my opinion. 
  • RD 7 - Bradley Bozeman (C/G) - Bozeman is a smart offensive lineman, and I like that for us. He started two seasons for Alabama. Lacks crazy physical gifts, but he's just a dude that will give you the best he's got. 

22 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Realistically Forge, if you or anyone else wishes to get in late, I will accept until the next preseason games. I don't think anything has happened that could reasonably bias anyone yet.

I honestly want to change mine LOL. IT seems weird that I made a draft without obtaining anyone that I was completely in love with. But I'll keep it the same, just want it known that I have no issues with the 49er picks :P

Archived