Are You SMarter Than an NFL GM? 2018 Picks Thread

y2lamanaki

In 2015, I was bored and looked back at a few old mocks from years past. As they say, a draft class typically takes 3 years to fully grade, so I looked back at mocks that were at least 3 years old and graded them vs. Trent Baalke's picks (hint: everyone did very well because they are not Trent Baalke). The problem with mocks, though, was that people would select players long after they were taken in the actual draft, making it a bit of an unfair comparison. So - yearly now, we all make our picks immediately following the draft and store them away where we will review in 3 years to see how everyone did. Here's the thread of all past reviews: 

This is 100% a 'for fun only' kind of deal, so it's important to keep that in mind.

You now make the picks that you think would have been best in the 2018 draft. Here's what you do - you have to pick someone that was still on the board when you make your pick. I'm going to give you the option of a few different draft options (with and without some of the trades we made). You MUST pick ONE of these options. No other trades or anything of the like will be accepted. As an extra this year, I am judging your starting RT due to the Trent Brown trade. You have your option to trade him or not below.

DRAFT A: KEEP TRENT BROWN AND ALL ORIGINAL DRAFT PICKS

#9)
#59) 
#70) 
#74) 
 #128) 
#143) 
#184) 
#223) 
#240)

DRAFT B: KEEP TRENT BROWN AND THE TRADE UP TO #44

#9) 
#44) 
#70)
#128) 
#142)
#143) 
#184) 
#223) 
#240)

DRAFT C: TRADE TRENT BROWN AND STAY AT #59

#9) 
#59) 
#70)
#74) 
#95) 
#128) 
#184) 
#223) 
#240) 

DRAFT D: KEEP ALL 49ER TRADES INCLUDING TRENT BROWN

#9) 
#44) 
#70)
#95) 
#128) 
#142) 
#184) 
#223) 
#240)

Best of luck and see you in 3 years! I will allow people to participate up until the start of training camp.

6 hours ago, big9erfan said:

But trading is one of the mos timportant things a GM does. Restraining these mocks to no trades is not really letting people try to be a better GM.

No offense meant, but I have to say to this: tough luck. There was the option of trading up in the live picks thread. I'm not allowing people to use hindsight to trade around the boards with trades that may or may not have been accepted. Those are the four options.

For the record, I'm definitely not smarter than our GM. 

#9) - Mike McGlinchey OT, Notre Dame
I kept this pick the same because I really like McGlinchey and because Ward and Roquan were off the board. Those are the only other two I'd take at 9.

#59) - Carlton Davis CB, Auburn
I really Davis and was really bummed we passed on him. I'm even more bummed that Isaiah Oliver was taken right before this pick.

#70) - Fred Warner WILL, BYU
I loved this pick and I don't want to change it.

#74) - Michael Gallup WR, Colorado State
Pettis offers some additional value as a returner, but I think Gallup in the middle of the third is great value on a talented WR.

#95) - Tarvarius Moore CB, Southern Miss
Like Warner, I really liked this pick. With Davis on board, this pick is even better because this gives Moore even more time to learn and develop.

#128) - Dalton Schultz TE, Stanford
Schultz is an all-around solid TE who can step right in and command valuable playing time. He is a very capable blocking TE with sneaky good receiving skills, very much like Celek.

#184) - Deshon Elliott S, Texas 
I like the thought of drafting a safety late since we don't have much depth behind Tartt, but I didn't like the original pick. I like Elliott better because of his athletic ability and upside better than Harris.

#223) - Jullian Taylor DT, Temple
I like this original pick. Taylor has excellent size and athleticism. He is a perfect late-round project pick that can learn behind Buckner and eventually be a very solid depth piece in the middle of the D-line.

#240) - Richie James WR, Middle Tennessee 
Same as Taylor, James is a great late round project. He has tons of athletic ability, but not much technique. He won with his athleticism but now needs to learn how to win with technique. P.S. candidate. 

On 5/3/2018 at 4:07 PM, y2lamanaki said:

No offense meant, but I have to say to this: tough luck. There was the option of trading up in the live picks thread. I'm not allowing people to use hindsight to trade around the boards with trades that may or may not have been accepted. Those are the four options.

OK. Couldn't do the Live picks thread. So I'll just try to out-pick our FO instead of out-draft them. I guess that means option D. I do like some of our picks and would consider making them at the same spot. But just to try to out-pick our FO I'll take a different guy at every spot.  I'll put a slightly different emphasis on positions but do my best to fill most of the same positions as we actually did. 'm going to go with an increased priority on edge and so will have to get my CB/S types a bit lower. Here goes.

9 - Marcus Davenport

44 - Christian Kirk

70 - Sam Hubbard

95 - Dorian O'Daniel

128 - Mo Hurst

142 - Tyrell Crosby

184 - Simeon Thomas

223 - Javopn Wims

240 - Greg Stroman

#9) - Isaiah Wynn - OG/OT - I believe that he can start at OG now and take over from Staley at LT once he retires. I don't care if he is "short". He is perfect for our scheme and will be a 10 year starter for us and probable Pro Bowler in his first couple of years.

#59) - Carlton Davis - CB - We need more corner backs. Probably an upgrade on Witherspoon and better than Ward who should stay at FS. Who knows if Sherman will be back?

#70) - Oren Burks - LB - probably being nitpicky but I just prefer him over Warner.

#74) - Arden Key - Edge - could be nothing, could be anything. However he has shown great skills for the LEO position in the past and if we can make him into a professional football player he could be a steal.

#128) - Tyrell Crosby - OT - can play LT or RT and backup tackles are worth their weight in gold. Can push out Gilliam and possibly start in 2019 if we then decide to get rid of Brown (because we are keeping Brown in this scenario).

#143) - DJ Reed - CB - because I have to agree with Lynch on something. Plus this kid will improve special teams and CB depth.

#184) - Equanimeous St Brown - WR- is tall, can catch and most importantly runs good routes. I'm surprised we didn't pick him up. Separation issues??

#223) - Tegray Scales - LB - playmaker in a spot we need depth at.

#240) - Richie James - WR - seems like the type of kid that you want on the team and our FO can pick the hell out of the 7th round so I'll take their word for this.

1 hour ago, Melbourne 9er said:

#9) - Isaiah Wynn - OG/OT - I believe that he can start at OG now and take over from Staley at LT once he retires. I don't care if he is "short". He is perfect for our scheme and will be a 10 year starter for us and probable Pro Bowler in his first couple of years.

#59) - Carlton Davis - CB - We need more corner backs. Probably an upgrade on Witherspoon and better than Ward who should stay at FS. Who knows if Sherman will be back?

#70) - Oren Burks - LB - probably being nitpicky but I just prefer him over Warner.

#74) - Arden Key - Edge - could be nothing, could be anything. However he has shown great skills for the LEO position in the past and if we can make him into a professional football player he could be a steal.

#128) - Tyrell Crosby - OT - can play LT or RT and backup tackles are worth their weight in gold. Can push out Gilliam and possibly start in 2019 if we then decide to get rid of Brown (because we are keeping Brown in this scenario).

#143) - DJ Reed - CB - because I have to agree with Lynch on something. Plus this kid will improve special teams and CB depth.

#184) - Equanimeous St Brown - WR- is tall, can catch and most importantly runs good routes. I'm surprised we didn't pick him up. Separation issues??

#240) - Richie James - WR - seems like the type of kid that you want on the team and our FO can pick the hell out of the 7th round so I'll take their word for this.

You would not be able to keep DJ Reed at #143 as he went at pick #142 (sort of the strange way the trades worked). However, because Crosby was taken after #143, all you have to do is agree to swap those two picks and everything is fine.

7 hours ago, Melbourne 9er said:

I love this draft as is. Not to mention you could have traded down to get Wynn and picked up even more picks.

On 5/7/2018 at 2:12 AM, Melbourne 9er said:

Tegray Scales is my boy. I was a big fan of his. Surprised he went so late. I know that he was undersized as a linebacker, but probably could play SAM in our scheme. 

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Can I just have the same picks as I made in the live thread? So keep the same trades the team made? 

Yep. That's the idea on that one. We only get to participate in the live thread.

Started the live draft then pain in the arse guests show up on DRAFT NIGHT???

Was looking for pure value in the draft bearing in mind kinda current needs (which will be irrelevant in three years ha
ha). Did pick up Crosby for the spirit of the game since Brown is gone.

DRAFT D: KEEP ALL 49ER TRADES INCLUDING TRENT BROWN

#9) Derwin James S
#44) Josh Jackson CB
#70) Michael Gallup WR
#95) Harrison Phillips DL
#128) Genard Avery LB
#142) Tyrell Crosby OT/G
#184) Deon Cain WR
#223) Jordan Mailata OT/FB/?
#240) Ryan Izzo TE

• 3 weeks later...

I am so not smarter than a gm but here's my try

#9) Mike McGlinchey OT, Notre Dame - My Favourite pick of the draft. Plus Ward, Chubb, Nelson, Smith all gone and there the only players i wanted more. 
#59) Lorenzo Carter LB, Georgia - Fast Lb ran 4.5 someone to rush the pass
#70)  Fred Warner LB, BYU - Another pick i loved. A fast lb that can cover.
#74)  Arden Key Edge, LSU - Boom or bust prospect at a position of need. I think its worth the risk.
#95) Mason Cole C, Michigan - Versatile linemen that can play multiple positions on the line 
#128) Maurice Hurst DT, Michigan - Great Value that if health concerns clear up could be steal of the draft. 
#184) Equanimeous St Brown WR, Notre Dame - A big tall reciever with upside. Plus i needed to draft another fighting irish.
#223) Jordan Mailata Athlete, South Sydney Australia - His Australian like me enough said plus i'd like another Australia player jersey to go along with my Hayne one. 
#240) Greg Stroman CB, Virginia Tech - I had to draft a corner at some point more quick than fast. 

8 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

I am so not smarter than a gm but here's my try

#9) Mike McGlinchey OT, Notre Dame - My Favourite pick of the draft. Plus Ward, Chubb, Nelson, Smith all gone and there the only players i wanted more. 
#59) Lorenzo Carter LB, Georgia - Fast Lb ran 4.5 someone to rush the pass
#70)  Fred Warner LB, BYU - Another pick i loved. A fast lb that can cover.
#74)  Arden Key Edge, LSU - Boom or bust prospect at a position of need. I think its worth the risk.
#95) Mason Cole C, Michigan - Versatile linemen that can play multiple positions on the line 
#128) Maurice Hurst DT, Michigan - Great Value that if health concerns clear up could be steal of the draft. 
#184) Equanimeous St Brown WR, Notre Dame - A big tall reciever with upside. Plus i needed to draft another fighting irish.
#223) Jordan Mailata Athlete, South Sydney Australia - His Australian like me enough said plus i'd like another Australia player jersey to go along with my Hayne one. 
#240) Greg Stroman CB, Virginia Tech - I had to draft a corner at some point more quick than fast. 

I like this one a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to get mine in...I'm really struggling with the Trent Brown trade on whether or not to do it. If I do it, I feel like you're almost obligated to take McGlinchey at #1, or I have to roll with Garry Gilliam for the year. Maybe not the worst thing ever, I don't know, but I want to keep it kind of realistic in that we clearly didn't want Brown, and if my HC doesn't want him, I see no reason to keep him. I can't count on a comp pick for him since I want to be active again in FA next season, so I understand the appeal of getting something for him now. 

Archived